Chris Collins on stadium improvements

I think you have to differentiate between which government agency we're talking about.

It's a different discussion IMO (for tax purposes mostly) whether we're talking about a city, town, or county subsidy as opposed to a state subsidy.

I think it clearly benefits the state to make improvements to a facility in order to keep a team within that state.

If we round down and just say the Bills payroll is $100 million per year, that alone is roughly $10 million per year to New York State.

That's just in player income tax alone.

In truth, the state probably recoups its $100 million investment in 4-5 years.

Considering how much money the state pisses away in other spending, that's a good investment.

And as others have pointed out, what is New York States investment in Citifield (Mets), Yankee Stadium (Yanks), the new arena for the Nets in Brooklyn, the remodel of Madison Square Gardens etc?

$100 million of state money to Erie County is chump change and it secures the Bills near term future as well as being a good investment for the state.

except you don't know how many player actually live in nys full time. Also, the states where the away games are get the income tax. Not much of the players income tax gets payed to nys. Now the team's actual employees, sales from the stadium, tickets etc would all be subject to the team's income tax.

Seriously? I love the bills but its not the taxpayers responsibility to fiscally support a billion dollar industry that is making money.

I hear you. It sucks but it is reality. Industrial Development agencies to it all the time. From small businesses to large. When Yahoo was putting in that processing center outside Lockport they wanted like $300 million for 100 jobs paying $50k a year. Not sure whatever became of that one. IDA's like Amherst will put out 100's of thousands in tax abatements to get a restaurant to move across the street into Amherst. We all foot the bill

OK to get back on track here, I hope you don't vote. Collins rocks! He is all about change, not pandering to all the special interests with their hands out. Colins is cost reduction driven, which can only help our tax situation. You don't negotiate in public, and he is working with the Bills, stadium upgrade list first, then roll that into the lease. NYS is a lot bigger than Erie County, where would EC get the money from? And from a County aspect, and as a highly taxed Bills fan, what has the state ever done for me? The state SHOULD kick in the money.

Poloncarz is a F***king joke who will say and promise anything for election. And all of it is in direct conflict with each other. Poloncarz...... :sick:

You ignored the part where I asked what Collins would do if the State will not pay. Will he just let the Bills walk away? Because I think he would. Collins is an arrogant person. It's always been his way or the highway. And to get back to the county aspect, Collins does not care one bit about the working person. Just look at his history. What did he do to the people working at Buffalo China? Look how he treats the Library system. Also his so called surplus is a joke. he kept the money from homeland security funds that was supposed to be used to kickstart the economy and provide a safer environment to live in. He kept it so he could claim this huge surplus for his re-election.Chris Collins is a millionaire who wants to help the rich. And yes I do vote, and so do many other people.

Edited by first_and_ten

I think any lease plan to keep the Bills here will need to involve state money. That being said I think that hurts Poloncarz more than Collins. Poloncarz has the backing of Public Sector Unions, who have had cuts in the past few state budgets. How are they going to feel when NYS gives 40 to 100 million to the Bills while they have pay freezes?

Also Collins will do everything in his power to keep the Bills here. He has his sights set on statewide office and what chance would he have if he allowed New York's Only Football Team to leave?

I think any lease plan to keep the Bills here will need to involve state money. That being said I think that hurts Poloncarz more than Collins. Poloncarz has the backing of Public Sector Unions, who have had cuts in the past few state budgets. How are they going to feel when NYS gives 40 to 100 million to the Bills while they have pay freezes?

Also Collins will do everything in his power to keep the Bills here. He has his sights set on statewide office and what chance would he have if he allowed New York's Only Football Team to leave?

I think the obvious is being overlooked. Poloncarz is a democrat that has the backing of the most powerful man in New York State, Andrew Cuomo. It will be much easier for him to negotiate and secure funds from NYS than it would be for Collins.

I think the obvious is being overlooked. Poloncarz is a democrat that has the backing of the most powerful man in New York State, Andrew Cuomo. It will be much easier for him to negotiate and secure funds from NYS than it would be for Collins.

Not necessarily. Cuomo would be under pressure from the WNY delegation in both the Assembly and the Senate as well as United States Senator Charles Schumer to make sure the funding is in place. There have been state funds used to built two Baseball Stadiums and a Basketball Arena in NYC in the past few years, so the precedent is there. Cuomo is one of the few Governors to win New York State without winning WNY, but I am sure he does not want to temp fate twice. Besides Andrew Cuomo is only the most powerful man in New York State until Sheldon Silver(D), Speaker of the Assembly decides to take the title back.

Edited by BRAWNDO