Maybin has 0.5 less sacks than our entire team

deep2evans

Silly supposition that it would have come down to Maybin or Florence. I tell you who would disagree with you about sacks which are also a reflection of QB pressures, OUR DBs. They are being asked to cover too long and are getting burned. I thought it was just McKelvin that was sucking until Florence got embarrassed and torched against the Giants.

You're an idiot.

I wasn't suggesting that there was a decision made between Maybin and Florence, but that just because a guy makes a few plays doesn't mean he isn't a liability to the overall defense. People want to bench Florence, even though he made some very big plays, because his overall game has led to some big plays by opponents. And some of the same people are moaning because they cut Maybin, who was making ridiculous money on a team with some way underpaid stars, and is a very limited player. Yes, he runs fast enough to make a horseshoe to the QB every now and then. I think the Bills knew that. Problem is he can't do anything else.

And I didn't say that I think sacks aren't important, but that they aren't really the ultimate goal of a defense. I think sacks are great, but a defense that overemphasizes getting sacks can leave themselves vulnerable. The Bills have been taking a different approach than the Jets, the merits of which can be debated. But regardless, I don't think the Bills should have altered their approach because Maybin MIGHT have have been able to get a sack now and then.

Have I made myself clear enough?

Coach Rex Ryan said OLB Aaron Maybin's snap count will rise going forward.

Maybin has been reborn with the Jets. Despite limited snaps, he has three sacks and three forced fumbles in four games under Ryan. "Great production," Ryan said. "We need to get him on the field more." After this week's bye, Maybin faces the Bills team that released him in August. Oct 25 - 9:13 AM

GOOD! I hope he is on the field every defensive snap. I'm sure the Bills staff knows just what to do when he is on the field!

Edited by Matthews' Bag

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that way. I mean come on, Maybin is with the Jets, hell anyone on this board could make a sack or two with there scheme. I remember the days when people were crying for the guy to go now they admiring his 3sacks..

Guy is leading the Jets in sacks having played just 4 games! Can just "anyone" can do that?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Guy is leading the Jets in sacks having played just 4 games! Can just "anyone" can do that?

Well actually he is tied with one Jamaal Westerman, an undrafted dude from Rutgers. I think the Bills should make a big play to acquire Jamaal, and build a defense that caters to his strength!

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Maybin 3 > Westerman 2.5.

Geez, the Maybin haters can't even do basic math

Depends who you ask...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Defense&sort=106

There are 4 Jets with 3 sacks each. I think teams have much more to concern themselves with when playing the Jets, so Maybinot has been able to horseshoe to the QB. I don't think he would be effective with the Bills (or most other teams), is that so hard to understand?

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I believe you. That's great. I went to Yahoo, and they have a different total. Congratulations?

Do you have a counter to the fact that Maybin was way overpaid on a team that has underpaid stars? Do you not understand how that played abig role in his being cut. Answer please.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Coach Rex Ryan said OLB Aaron Maybin's snap count will rise going forward.

Maybin has been reborn with the Jets. Despite limited snaps, he has three sacks and three forced fumbles in four games under Ryan. "Great production," Ryan said. "We need to get him on the field more." After this week's bye, Maybin faces the Bills team that released him in August. Oct 25 - 9:13 AM

Of course his snap count is going to get higher, their next game is against the Bills, and Ryan is the type of coach who is going to go out and try to rub this move in the Bills faces by putting Maybin out there to show that he is better then the Bills front office.

The Jets have the luxury of using him only when they are in obvious passing situations, and they can just send him in for one purpose, to run right after the QB. Buffalo needed an actual LB that could do more then just rush the passer, and he could not do that. The guy couldn't even get on the field to play special teams. The difference between him and what they hoped merriman could get back to is that Merriman could play LB on more then just 3rd and long. He didn't have to come out on run plays or possible run plays.

This is typical Bills fan mentality. When he is on the team, everyone wants to run him out of town for not being a pro bowler, once he makes a play for another team, its "why did the Bills let this guy go?".

Of course his snap count is going to get higher, their next game is against the Bills, and Ryan is the type of coach who is going to go out and try to rub this move in the Bills faces by putting Maybin out there to show that he is better then the Bills front office.

The Jets have the luxury of using him only when they are in obvious passing situations, and they can just send him in for one purpose, to run right after the QB. Buffalo needed an actual LB that could do more then just rush the passer, and he could not do that. The guy couldn't even get on the field to play special teams. The difference between him and what they hoped merriman could get back to is that Merriman could play LB on more then just 3rd and long. He didn't have to come out on run plays or possible run plays.

This is typical Bills fan mentality. When he is on the team, everyone wants to run him out of town for not being a pro bowler, once he makes a play for another team, its "why did the Bills let this guy go?".

The Bills (or Jets for that matter) could have a DB line up at rush linebacker, while sending 6 guys at a QB on 3rd & long, and get the results Maybin has (maybe even more).

wow the hatred, we have tried that with kelsay for years

wow the stupidity. I used a DB as an example because they are FAST(that is Maybin's ONLY asset, I thought that was obvious) and could run a big horseshoe around a blocker to get to the QB. They don't do that though, because it would leave the defense too vulnerable, but they would certainly get an occasional sack if they did.

Kelsay isn't fast, but he is a much a more versatile defender than Maybin, even if he does suck.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

... GOOD! I hope he is on the field every defensive snap. I'm sure the Bills staff knows just what to do when he is on the field!

Yep. I gotta believe the first move the Bills will make to counteract the Maybin threat, will be to re-sign Wang so he can toss Maybin around like he did in practice.

GO BILLS!!!

Go pack and watch each of his 3 sacks. He has yet to beat an NFL caliber OT with his speed move. He does hustle though, I cant deny that.

He looks a lot better than he ever did up here in B-LO. The image of Matt Light toying with him like a little kid from a year or two ago is burned into my brain.