Don't say Merry Christmas!

Mediaman

Must we go over this Newt Gingrich talking point again?

80-something percent of Americans celebrate Christmas. There is Christmas music, there are Christmas sales, there are Christmas decorations, everywhere. There are tons of Christmas specials and movies on TV. No one is making any of this stop, no one is taking down decorations. No one is forcing churches to remove nativity scenes. The idea that somehow there is less "Christmas" in our culture today because of political correctness is confounding. Whether the meaning of it has decayed is another issue, but that's one for the church to take care of, and not government.

The "Christ" went out of Christmas long ago when the day turned from being an observation of the birth of Jesus Christ to a season of greed and occasional good spirit which doesn't come near making up for the horrible things people do to each other the other 364 days.

So who gives a rat's ass what it's called? "Happy Holidays" is probably more appropriate to the reality of the season than "Merry Christmas".

Funny that we see the Christian Coalition freaking out about the NAME but not the SUBSTANCE. But not surprising, most of this "family values" stuff is all lip service anyway.

From the article:

"In a new CNN/USA TODAY/Gallup Poll, 44% of Americans surveyed said the trend toward "Happy Holidays" is a change for the better, and 43% said it wasn't. Only 11%, however, said they avoid saying "Merry Christmas" out of fear of offending someone."

Doesn't look like that big of a deal to me.

From the article:

"In a new CNN/USA TODAY/Gallup Poll, 44% of Americans surveyed said the trend toward "Happy Holidays" is a change for the better, and 43% said it wasn't. Only 11%, however, said they avoid saying "Merry Christmas" out of fear of offending someone."

173479[/snapback]

It is only an issue for the hypersensitive. In a topsy-turvy way, the anger over the trend in preference of saying "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas" is as much an example of silly political correctness as insisting that people say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

The easy resolution for all but the hyper is: Say Merry Christmas when you wish to bestow such a wish on christians and if you don't know if the recipients of your wish would be offended, say Happy Holidays. It isn't political correctness, it is simply being polite. Remeber when people actually cared about such a thing? Remember when boorish behaviour was shunned and not applauded or rewarded with an appreciative and like minded audience?

From the article:

173479[/snapback]

What's the percentage of people who said "I don't give a flying rat's ass, people should just stop being stupid."?

It is only an issue for the hypersensitive.  In a topsy-turvy way, the anger over the trend in preference of saying "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas" is as much an example of silly political correctness as insisting that people say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". 

The easy resolution for all but the hyper is: Say Merry Christmas when you wish to bestow such a wish on christians and if you don't know if the recipients of your wish would be offended, say Happy Holidays.  It isn't political correctness, it is simply being polite.  Remeber when people actually cared about such a thing?  Remember when boorish behaviour was shunned and not applauded or rewarded with an appreciative and like minded audience?

173545[/snapback]

I wonder how many of these ultra-devout christians on the front lines of this percieved holy war will actually be going to mass on Christmas?

For the only time of the year...

173594[/snapback]

At least I have an excuse, I am a treasonous gay loving christ hating pagan. I don't have to go to church, a fact the congregation, curiously enough, keeps pointing out to me everytime I show up. I am beginning to think they are on to my evil agenda. Curses.

A couple weeks ago, someone in my basketball league wished me a Happy Channukah. Boy was I offended. I told him to stick his Manora where the sun don't shine and then I contacted my lawyer, who is me, and filed a complaint. My requested relief was that he wish me a Merry Christmas and pay me for the time I missed due to the trauma caused by the Channukah greeting. My lawyer says I have a good case.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

This country is really starting to suck; you have a choice between the hypersensitive liberal nonsense representative of the Berkeley school, and on the other side you have the ignorant, hypersensitive conservative who thinks everyone should do what they say and to hell with others. I myself am getting beyond distressed with all of this CRAP that we are faced with.

Damnit, the real America that I love doesn't exist anymore... so I'm hiding in northern Quebec with Mad Dog Lussier, watching ol time hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Well, I'll take Eastern Vermont, anyways) !!!!

A couple weeks ago, someone in my basketball league wished me a Happy Channukah. Boy was I offended. I told him to stick his Manora where the sun don't shine and then I contacted my lawyer, who is me, and filed a complaint. My requested relief was that he wish me a Merry Christmas and pay me for the time I missed due to the trauma caused by the Channukah greeting. My lawyer says I have a good case.

173627[/snapback]

There was a similiar topic on Lars Larsen last night on my drive home because some rag wrote an article on Adam Sandler's Hannukah song. It was amazing to hear people get so spun up about nothing.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
You truly are disgusting !!!

174782[/snapback]

It's true... they are most of the time behaving like Jerry Falwell, getting their jollies while putting on their 'I am perfect' act. Nobody believes it except the ignorant and the old people they sucker in to send them money. I don't think they are true Christians... they are Pharisees of the modern age.

What's the percentage of people who said "I don't give a flying rat's ass, people should just stop being stupid."?

173564[/snapback]

Not nearly enough.

And, sadly, I'll bet at least twice as many people thought a federally funded program to address the "issue" was called for.

So who gives a rat's ass what it's called? "Happy Holidays" is probably more appropriate to the reality of the season than "Merry Christmas".

No its not.

Funny that we see the Christian Coalition freaking out about the NAME but not the SUBSTANCE. But not surprising, most of this "family values" stuff is all lip service anyway.

Check yourself. Not where Im from. Not with MY family, thank you. Not perfect we are, the "Fasts", but the "reason for the season" is alive and well with us.

To the original point....I wish my Jewish friends Happy Hannukkah....my Christian friends Merry Christmas. If Im talking to someone Im not sure of with a name full of vowels, I say Christmas. If I talking to someone with a "berg" on the end of the name, I say Hannukkah. If Im not sure, I say "Enjoy your holiday". Works just fine.

The fact that the ultra left and athesists get so bent over the mere acknowledgement of religion in schools or on soil that's cared for with tax dollars and intrepret that as some kind of offensive "forcing" of religion on people is ridiculous. Having fun with the holidays and teaching religion's place in society over the course of the history of this country is not "indocrination". Having the school choruses sing religious songs isnt, either. When I was a kid and the holiday time came around, as a Catholic I desired to learn MORE about Jewish holidays, not less. And sing the songs and make dredels (sp?) in class and what not. It was FUN learning about other cultures and religions. And I NEVER felt that be doing this stuff, I was being "indoctrinated" or was having the Jewish and Muslim religious traditions of the seasons "forced" on me.

I just thought I was LEARNING. Imagine that.

People need to lighten up.

To the original point....I wish my Jewish friends Happy Hannukkah....my Christian friends Merry Christmas. If Im talking to someone Im not sure of with a name full of vowels, I say Christmas. If I talking to someone with a "berg" on the end of the name, I say Hannukkah. If Im not sure, I say "Enjoy your holiday". Works just fine.

175352[/snapback]

:(

Let me guess? You graduated magna cum laude from Archie Bunker correspondent school?

:D:P

:lol:

Let me guess?  You graduated magna cum laude from Archie Bunker correspondent school?

:lol:  :angry:

176598[/snapback]

Good way to keep the discussion going. Find one little word amongst many, twist it into something its NOT and then accuse the poster of something reprehensible based on that one word.

Dont be an !@#$. I was just trying to say that if I'm speaking with someone who is most likely jewish.

Care to comment on the REST of the post, or would that ruin your pathetic attempt to hurl a stupid insult for no damned good reason?

No its not.

Check yourself. Not where Im from. Not with MY family, thank you. Not perfect we are, the "Fasts", but the "reason for the season" is alive and well with us.

The fact that the ultra left and athesists get so bent over the mere acknowledgement of religion in schools or on soil that's cared for with tax dollars and intrepret that as some kind of offensive "forcing" of religion on people is ridiculous. Having fun with the holidays and teaching religion's place in society over the course of the history of this country is not "indocrination". Having the school choruses sing religious songs isnt, either. When I was a kid and the holiday time came around, as a Catholic I desired to learn MORE about Jewish holidays, not less. And sing the songs and make dredels (sp?) in class and what not. It was FUN learning about other cultures and religions. And I NEVER felt that be doing this stuff, I was being "indoctrinated" or was having the Jewish and Muslim religious traditions of the seasons "forced" on me.

I just thought I was LEARNING. Imagine that.

People need to lighten up.

175352[/snapback]

So you are basically saying that "Enjoy your Holiday" which is the equivalent of Happy Holidays is okay to say if you are unsure of what holiday a particular person celebrates? Wasn't the original point of the thread a slam on those who say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas?

Good way to keep the discussion going. Find one little word amongst many, twist it into something its NOT and then accuse the poster of something reprehensible based on that one word.

Dont be an !@#$. I was just trying to say that if I'm speaking with someone who is most likely jewish.

Care to comment on the REST of the post, or would that ruin your pathetic attempt to hurl a stupid insult for no damned good reason?

177011[/snapback]

You are such a stand-up guy.

Lighten up... I was just being funny... It just struck me as so "Archie Bunkereque."

"He who laughs last, lasts"

Oh... Feliz Navidad

:P

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
You are such a stand-up guy.

Lighten up... I was just being funny... It just struck me as so "Archie Bunkereque."

"He who laughs last, lasts"

Oh... Feliz Navidad

:doh:

177543[/snapback]

It did sound that way, and I thought it was funny!

If you can't appreciate that joke, then you don't know comedy!

Remember the phone book, when he was looking for a lawyer, and the lawyers came over? That show was GUT-BUSTINGLY funny!!! :P

"Season's Greetings" has been used since time out of mind on cards, commercials and everything else and it never occurred to me until now that perhaps it was done to to avoid saying "Merry Christmas". I had a Hindu guy wish me Merry Christmas and thought it was droll in his sincerity; I don't know why the WORDS matter more than the SPIRIT. To me, they don't. Peace on earth, goodwill toward men. Amen.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
The show was great, yes.

I didnt take what you said as a joke. If itwas, then fine.

Call me nuts, but I dont like being called a racist.

178158[/snapback]

I hear ya :blush:

The show was great, yes.

I didnt take what you said as a joke. If itwas, then fine.

Call me nuts, but I dont like being called a racist.

178158[/snapback]

I never called you a racist. Archie Bunker wasn't a racist, maybe a bigot? If you watched the show, you would have noticed that even know he was slow to change, in the end, he knew what the right thing was... In short, he wasn't a very bad person. He was a loveable, devoted, honorable husband if you saw through his rough facade... A scared person.

Just my 2 cents.