Fitz' last INT.

162 members have voted

1. 1. Whose fault was the last INT?

• Fitz
    • Gailey
    • The football Gods

Please respond to the poll above as the discussion is going on in at least 3 different thread topics.

The Situation: The Bills are at the Giants 27-yard line (relatively short field). There is 4:02 left in the 4th quarter, the Bills are first and ten and the score is tied at 24.

I think this speaks to all the plausible scenarios:

The Bills could possibly:

gain no yards, then get a 44-yard field goal attempt.

run some clock and score a touchdown.

run some clock and score a field goal.

lose yardage and end up punting.

turn the ball over on downs.

lose the ball on a turnover to the Giants.

Also, 3 plausible outcomes of the throw which was intercepted:

The throw could be good resulting in a touchdown.

The throw could result in an incompletion.

The throw could be underthrown and be intercepted, which happened.

Other possible factors:

Fitz had an audible (double play) option and saw man to man and chose to throw.

Please vote and no need to comment.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Not really. That's still an incomplete pass.

Man, an incomplete pass.

I think we should fire everyone.

C'mon, we all know it was a questionable call at best. If it was completed we would have all cheered.

It was a poor throw, but again, if it was completed, we would have all cheered.

I don't understand the need to burn anyone at the stake over this. Humans made mistakes. Overall both the humans in question have been doing more good than bad for this team this year. People need to calm down.

Please respond to the poll above as the discussion is going on in at least 3 different thread topics.

The Situation: The Bills are at the Giants 27-yard line (relatively short field). There is 4:02 left in the 4th quarter, the Bills are first and ten and the score is tied at 24.

First off, from what I understand, no one really knows if this was a called play by the staff or a called audible by Fitz.

However, regardless of the call by the staff, the players are responsible for executing the play and that was just a poorly thrown ball and that falls on Fitz. It was the second INT by Fitz on the same under throw on a poorly thrown ball that game.

Chan also realized that the D hadn't stopped NYG all day, so being aggressive and going for the TD when there was still 4 min left is not stupid when our D has proven unable to stop anyone this year is just fine.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Dorkie, I'm interested to see what Bills fans here think about this situation seeing as there are no fewer than 4 threads on the subject now.

This is a chance to stop all the words and vote.

The same arguments are going around and around in circles now and people are posting responses without reading the entire topics.

At some point words cease being of value and polls increase in value.

I love Fitz AND Gailey but I want to know what all the Bills fans here are thinking.

First off, from what I understand, no one really knows if this was a called play by the staff or a called audible by Fitz.

However, regardless of the call by the staff, the players are responsible for executing the play and that was just a poorly thrown ball and that falls on Fitz. It was the second INT by Fitz on the same under throw on a poorly thrown ball that game.

Chan also realized that the D hadn't stopped NYG all day, so being aggressive and going for the TD when there was still 4 min left is not stupid when our D has proven unable to stop anyone this year is just fine.

This is exactly where I'm at with this. I like that they're not afraid to roll the dice. And jeez, it's not like they ran a flea-flicker or a double-reverse or something.

I am going to blame our CBs for not getting INTs when given the same chance. Instead, we got PI calls.

The Giants guy coulda put his arms straight up and ran in SJ, but instead he turned around and caught the ball. Good for him

No problem with the call If the play was there. Too much time left to think run the clock out. That strategy also ends most likely with a FG Attempt not TD. They had the matchup they wanted, the call made strategic sense, simply an undethrown ball further exposing fitz one weakness as a qb

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I am going to blame our CBs for not getting INTs when given the same chance. Instead, we got PI calls.

The Giants guy coulda put his arms straight up and ran in SJ, but instead he turned around and caught the ball. Good for him

This. Twice.

The bottom line is Gaily's call, if executed properly, was a TD. Fitz's throw was terrible. Fit'z fault.

The one thing that I will say is that Gaily has to realize that Fitz is limited. That being said, if he doesn't call deep throws the defense will start sitting on routes and playing cover 1 which will hurt the 3 step game and running game.

Fitz has to throw the deep ball better and it's as simple as that.

Fitz had already underthrown the same ball earlier, resulting in an INT. If this was Chan's call, I blame him. Players are supposed to execute, yes, but coaches are supposed to put players in positions to succeed. That call did not play to Fitz's strength.

Fitz had already underthrown the same ball earlier, resulting in an INT. If this was Chan's call, I blame him. Players are supposed to execute, yes, but coaches are supposed to put players in positions to succeed. That call did not play to Fitz's strength.

NFL QB had to be able to make that throw. It wasn't anything special

Well I agree that Fitz ultimately threw a horrible ball, I think it's more on Chan. At this time in the game you kill as much clock as you can. Your not playing with a short lead, your not playing from behind, your tied. There's 4 minutes left in the game and your defense has only stopped the Giants a few times (one of which just gave the offense a chance to tale the lead late). You do NEED the TD but at the same time you need to kill the clock a little. I'm not saying to run the ball 3 straight times, and frankly I'm happy we were aggressive. But when the play that was aggressive and could have won the game also put a nail in the coffin to lose it, the HC must take the blame for it. I'm sure if you asked Fitz he'd say he lost the game personally but the HC needs to tale the heat off his QB here. Any good coach would take the blame here. Tomlin, Bellicheck, Payton, Turner, Ryan (even thought I don't agree he's a good coach), Harbaugh. At the de time every one of thier QBs would say it was on them. Let's just hope the tes pulls out of it and goes into the bye, rests up and kicks some Redskin @ss in Toronto in a few weeks.

NFL QB had to be able to make that throw. It wasn't anything special

Point is, he already hadn't. It's like a catcher calling for a fastball in a critical spot when he knows the pitcher's gassed. You need to know what your guy can do AT THAT TIME and call your game around it.

Stevie burned Webster on both of those INTs.

He was steps in front of him off the line.

If the ball is thrown our in front and down the field there is no poll because the Bills win by 11.

It's crazy how they were mirror plays and Fitzy under throws them both AND Webster actually makes a semi difficult play on the ball both times.

It was a hard angle for Stevie to play defense he was down the field and the defender was inbeteren him and the underthrown ball.

It was clearly Fitzy's fault both times.

The team looked like they partied hard in NYC last night.

And Florence looked like he traded jerseys with McKelvin.

Altogether a lack luster effort that could have resulted in a W.

I really don't agree with this argument at all.

Fitz failed on the throw earlier in the game.

I think most people would predict that if the play was called again that it would be more likely that Fitz make the adjustment and succeed on the throw the second time.

Speaking from my personal experience, it seems to me that most people get better when given the chance to do something again.

Also, do you not think it's important to "get back on that horse" and also that a coach should show faith in his players in these situations?

I really don't agree with this argument at all.

Fitz failed on the throw earlier in the game.

I think most people would predict that if the play was called again that it would be more likely that Fitz make the adjustment and succeed on the throw the second time.

Speaking from my personal experience, it seems to me that most people get better when given the chance to do something again.

Also, do you not think it's important to "get back on that horse" and also that a coach should show faith in his players in these situations?

Sure it is. If you think Fitz can make that throw and that the first one was an aberration.

Fitz lacked zip on a lot of his passes today, not just those two. Yes, he had a few nice bullets, but overall he had a poor throwing day. Just playing the odds, I thought it was a bad call today. Maybe in another day his arm looks better and you make that call with confidence.

Two things: 1) It's not like Fitz is incapable of making the throw. Remember the nice, even longer, ball along the left sideline to Donald Jones late in the Pats game? 2) If coaches stopped calling plays that happen to result once in a turnover, they wouldn't have much of a playbook. Two bad throws. It happens. Move on.