The Call

Simon

Stevie had two steps and a well-thrown ball is a TD.

Like the call or not, the second guessing only comes into play when the execution fails.

I'm with you if there's 5-6 minutes left. But in this case, you've hit the point where game management becomes your primary consideration.

A TD doesn't win you the game right there but just a couple 5 yard completions or runs might

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if he completes it for a touchdown.

Otherwise, no.

Really not sure why you're being so smarmy, but, IMO, when your defense is horrid, and you have the ball in FG range with 4:00 left in a tie game, the smart play is to run the ball.

Edited by bills44

Best case scenario that plays puts us up 7 and puts the game in the hands of our defense (GULP) with 4 minutes to go. We saw the worst case scenario play out. You run the ball there and kill some clock, especially when your QB already threw a pick trying the exact same pass earlier in the game.

There's no way we could run the clock out in that scenario either. Gailey knew that play would be open. (It was). Also, with a suspect defense, it's obviously better to go up 7 than 3. There is no way Gailey could anticipate Fitz throwing a similarly horrible pass to what he did earlier. I can't fault the play call in that instance. I absolutely fault Fitzpatrick because, as a supposed second coach out there on the field, he should make a concerted effort that if he were to make a mistake on that pass, it'd be an overthrow, not an underthrow. In that instance, that mistake is 100% on him. He cost us the game today.

Really not sure why you're being so smarmy, but, IMO, when your defense is horrid, and you have the ball in FG range with 4:00 left in a tie game, the smart play is to run the ball.

Undoubtedly that's what Jauron would have done.

There's no way we could run the clock out in that scenario either. Gailey knew that play would be open. (It was). Also, with a suspect defense, it's obviously better to go up 7 than 3. There is no way Gailey could anticipate Fitz throwing a similarly horrible pass to what he did earlier. I can't fault the play call in that instance. I absolutely fault Fitzpatrick because, as a supposed second coach out there on the field, he should make a concerted effort that if he were to make a mistake on that pass, it'd be an overthrow, not an underthrow. In that instance, that mistake is 100% on him. He cost us the game today.

Undoubtedly.

I think most of us would have predicted that Fitz would have made the adjustment and made a good throw the second time he ran that route/play.

Jauron would've called 3 straight runs up the gut and attempted the field goal. Gailey goes for the end-zone on first down. I prefer the latter, but perhaps somewhere in between was the smartest move there.

Undoubtedly.

I think most of us would have predicted that Fitz would have made the adjustment and made a good throw the second time he ran that route/play.

what does Jauron have to do with anything? If Jauron is your point of reference for Gailey, you're really not holding him to a very high standard.

Do you ask yourself what Trent Edwards would have done whenver Fitz makes a bad play?

Why ask him to throw that route there?

I'm not demanding he throw Fred and Corey into the middle of the pile, but there was NO need to attack the endzone in that situation

Gailey isn't conservative by nature. He made the call, Stevie beat his man, but Fitz threw a soft horribly under thrown ball. It that situation it's far better to take the shot, but if you miss, miss long.

Edited by Spiderweb

There's no way we could run the clock out in that scenario either.

Baloney

There is no way Gailey could anticipate Fitz throwing a similarly horrible pass to what he did earlier.

I can't imagine its all that hard to anticipate a recurrence of something that had happened a few minutes previously.

You don't have to be Nostradamus :P

Gailey isn't conservative by nature. He made the call, Stevie beat his man, but Fitz threw a soft horribly under thrown ball. It that situation it's far better to take the shot, but if you miss, miss long.

I gotta agree with simon. There is no need for a pass play call on 1st down there.

<br> what does Jauron have to do with anything?  If Jauron is your point of reference for Gailey, you're really not holding him to a very high standard.<br><br>Do you ask yourself what Trent Edwards would have done whenver Fitz makes a bad play?<br>

Yes I do.

We had 4 years of playing not to lose under Jauron… I'd say it's a bit fickle, lacking in perspective, and short-memoried AND convenient to complain about our team trying to make an emphatic play to grab the victory.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

geez...its not like it was a bomb. It was a 20 yard pass. Did you expect gailey to go jauron-esque and run the ball to the left hash for three straight plays and settle for a 46 yard field goal with 3:00 mins to play. The play was there and needed to be made, or at the very least fitz should know to put the ball where only his recceiver could get. Fitz f'd it up and it cost us.

<br>Yes I do.<br><br>We had 4 years of playing not to lose under Jauron… I'd say it's a bit fickle, lacking in perspective, and short-memoried AND convenient to complain about our team trying to make an emphatic play to grab the victory.<br><br>

OK, have fun with your memories of Jauron and Edwards.

There's more than 1 way, other than throwing a deep ball, to "grab a victory" in that situation. Regardless, even if completed for a TD, the Giants have 4:00 to score - given how horrid the D is, a vistory is far from a sure thing.

Check the shout box, I said to run the ball BEFORE the play in question was even run. No hindsight or "convenience" on my part.

Edited by bills44