Herman Cain

I still can't tell if this guy is for real but he certainly has an excitement about him. In what is shaping up as a populist war, Cain's got a much stronger position than Romney and Perry (is he still around?). Cain seems to be taking the "Capitalism is good, now stop whining and start working" argument that the other candidates are afraid of. I'm not sure if 9-9-9 works but it at least is aimed towards simplifying things.

Unlike hair-Romney, Cain has a populist appeal that counter's Obama's similar appeal.

It will be interesting to see what skeletons start surfacing. One challenge with these career non-politicians is that they've never been vetted.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still can't tell if this guy is for real but he certainly has an excitement about him. In what is shaping up as a populist war, Cain's got a much stronger position than Romney and Perry (is he still around?). Cain seems to be taking the "Capitalism is good, now stop whining and start working" argument that the other candidates are afraid of. I'm not sure if 9-9-9 works but it at least is aimed towards simplifying things.

Unlike hair-Romney, Cain has a populist appeal that counter's Obama's similar appeal.

It will be interesting to see what skeletons start surfacing. One challenge with these career non-politicians is that they've never been vetted.

Don't worry, unlike what they didn't do with Obama, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN will turn over every rock and pebble to find something on Cain, and if they don't find something they'll just call him an "Uncle Tom" and a traitor to his race.

I like Herman Cain the best so far. He checks all of the boxes, INCLUDING him never having been a politician. Romney is more of the same. At least with Cain there's at least a possible chance for changing Washington.

"Nothing should be off the table. Every federal agency, every government program and expenditure must be reviewed and revised with a keen eye and a red pen. Leaders should be willing to shrink budgets by target percentages, and those charged with implementing those changes must be held accountable."

I wonder if he's the only Republican candidate willing to cut the military.

"Nothing should be off the table. Every federal agency, every government program and expenditure must be reviewed and revised with a keen eye and a red pen. Leaders should be willing to shrink budgets by target percentages, and those charged with implementing those changes must be held accountable."

Link

National Security

Our highest national priority. We need a stronger military. Defense spending should be used more effectively, but never cut below 4% of the GDP. The fight against Islamic Fascism is global. Fight it wherever it is a threat to the United States of America. Let our intelligence agencies do their jobs.

Last year was 4.7% of GDP.

Ron Paul wanted to cut the military (and everything else) long before any of us had ever heard of Herman Cain.

I'm still a Paulbot but Cain has definitely moved past Gary Johnson into my 2nd place and light years above Romney and Perry

He's audibly appealing with a tax plan that wouldn't work. He's also a walking and talking verbal minefield, who commits more verbal gaffes than Joe Biden would piss drunk.

The last comment is not even remotely close to the truth. There is a difference between saying something that is unconventional and truthful, and just being an idiot like Biden. Biden is an "aw shucks" dumbass of epic proportions. I'm surprised you'd jump on that low-hanging fruit.

The other day you were curious as to what the numbers would be on his 9-9-9 plan. Can we assume that since you now say it won't work, you've found out what the numbers are? Not being a dick...but you've obviously changed, so I have to assume you've reviewed his plan and found it not workable?

Christie to Endorse Romney Ahead of GOP Debate

Well, that should give Romney a nice bounce in the polls.

Hardly.

I live in New Jersey and I could care less who he endorses. In fact, I think this will backfire on both Romney and Christie when there's no perceivable bounce at all. People are done with the good ol' boy network.

Hardly.

I live in New Jersey and I could care less who he endorses. In fact, I think this will backfire on both Romney and Christie when there's no perceivable bounce at all. People are done with the good ol' boy network.

Well, we will see. I am hardly looking forward to Romney. I would prefer Cain of the two, as I don't see Romney cutting spending much.

Edited by Booster4324

The last comment is not even remotely close to the truth. There is a difference between saying something that is unconventional and truthful, and just being an idiot like Biden. Biden is an "aw shucks" dumbass of epic proportions. I'm surprised you'd jump on that low-hanging fruit.

The other day you were curious as to what the numbers would be on his 9-9-9 plan. Can we assume that since you now say it won't work, you've found out what the numbers are? Not being a dick...but you've obviously changed, so I have to assume you've reviewed his plan and found it not workable?

Sorry, I don't pick on "low hanging fruit", not my style, this is something that I have observed.

And to your second question, why I'm glad you asked.

. As the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy explained, “because low-income families spend more of their income on items subject to the sales tax than do wealthier taxpayers, sales taxes inevitably take a larger share of income from low- and middle-income families than they take from the wealthy.” Cain’s imposition of a 9 percent sales tax would hammer low-income Americans much more than the wealthy.

Another study

They are non partisan btw

– For the income tax portion: In 2007, total Adjusted Gross Income on all income tax returns was $8.7 trillion. Since Cain’s plan would exempt investment income, but would have no other deductions, that brings taxable income down to $7.4 trillion. A flat 9 percent tax would therefore have yielded about $665 billion in income tax revenue.

– For the corporate tax portion: In 2007, there was a total of $1.3 trillion in reported corporate income subject to tax. A flat 9 percent would have yielded $112 billion in revenue.

– For the sales tax portion: I used generally accepted estimates of the revenue generated from a value-added-tax (see here and here, for example). Those estimates suggest that a broad-based 5 percent tax on goods and services would generate about 2 percent of GDP in revenue. That implies that a 9 percent tax in 2007 would have generated about $500 billion.

– Together, then, the 9-9-9 plan would have generated a bit less than $1.3 trillion in total federal tax revenue. That may sound like a lot, but it’s only 9.2 percent of GDP. In 2007, we actually collected 18.5 percent of GDP in tax revenue. In other words, the 9-9-9 plan would cut federal revenue in half!

Sounds nice, but doesnt work. Just like I said last week, it's a plan that is highly regressive and is not revenue neutral.

Well, we will see. I am hardly looking forward to Romney. I would prefer Cain of the two, as I don't see Romney cutting spending much.

The only thing the Christie endorsement does is fill Romney's campaign coffers with money that was sidelined waiting for Christie to get in.

Did you just call Romney a Nazi?? :thumbdown:

BTW I'm starting to get on the Cain train.

Get on the train, man.

Cain vs. Unable 2012

Hardly.

I predict you're wrong... People like Christie, what he says carries weight. Get it, carries weight...

I predict you're wrong... People like Christie, what he says carries weight. Get it, carries weight...

It shows me that Christie is not a risk taker and if that's the case I'm glad he's not running. Cain matches Christie's economic ideas a lot more and this campaign is all about the economy. But I assume Christie is unwilling to side with him seeing it too much of a political risk. If he's waiting for Cain to !@#$ up then he played his card too soon. I say this will backfire on Christie.

It shows me that Christie is not a risk taker and if that's the case I'm glad he's not running. Cain matches Christie's economic ideas a lot more and this campaign is all about the economy. But I assume Christie is unwilling to side with him seeing it too much of a political risk. If he's waiting for Cain to !@#$ up then he played his card too soon. I say this will backfire on Christie.

No, it shows that he knows that Cains tax plan is fatally flawed.

No, it shows that he knows that Cains tax plan is fatally flawed.

I'm not sure if Caine's tax plan is written in stone. What if he comes back with "after consulting with X economists I've altered my tax plan to be less regressive." And all of a sudden his tax plan is not fatally flawed. Where does that put Christie then. Once again, he played his cards way too soon. Maybe someone should tell him the election is next November not next month.

How is his plan fatally flawed?

Looks like you are taking the "na na ni boo boo, I can't hear you" position :lol:

I'm not sure if Caine's tax plan is written in stone. What if he comes back with "after consulting with X economists I've altered my tax plan to be less regressive." And all of a sudden his tax plan is not fatally flawed. Where does that put Christie then. Once again, he played his cards way too soon. Maybe someone should tell him the election is next November not next month.

I disagree, I think the most cowardly position is to back the horse that you know who is gonna win, much like you saw the Democrats abandoning Hillary once they saw the momentum switching to Obama. What isn't cowardly is endorsing early.

Edited by Magox