younger readers shocked entertainer Hank Williams

I found some of the posts on the HW threads highly entertaining. "How dare he mock the president". "Just a entertainer-shut up about politics". Most of the caustic remarks, here and elsewhere, came from the left. A bad golf joke? The left set the gold standard for disrespectful entertainers many years ago. But thats OK. Using high profile to protest. So? Just socially conscious!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found some of the posts on the HW threads highly entertaining. "How dare he mock the president". "Just a entertainer-shut up about politics". Most of the caustic remarks, here and elsewhere, came from the left. A bad golf joke? The left set the gold standard for disrespectful entertainers many years ago. But thats OK. Using high profile to protest. So? Just socially conscious!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................

If that also applies to Matt Damon, Sean Penn and George Cloney, consider me on the bandwagon.

Who cares if he's from the left or the right? Can't we all just agree that likening our president, or anyone who hasn't committed mass murder to Hitler is over the top? It's more an insult to the millions who died at Hitler's hands, than it is to Obama.

Who cares if he's from the left or the right? Can't we all just agree that likening our president, or anyone who hasn't committed mass murder to Hitler is over the top? It's more an insult to the millions who died at Hitler's hands, than it is to Obama.

I think people are just wondering where all the outrage was between 2001 - 2008.

http://semiskimmed.net/bushhitler.html

True...but GG's point is more that people are hypocrites.

Or maybe that liberals are hypocrites like Heinrich Himmler was...

Huh, what? How did I get dragged into this?

Anyhoo, no one answered my question of why people automatically assumed that HW was comparing Obama to Hitler and not Boehner, since Boehner is the one with German roots?

If HW used a Hatfields/McCoys, cats & dogs, Bills/Dolphins, Dave in Elma/Dave in Norfolk analogies would that pass the smell test?

Huh, what? How did I get dragged into this?

Sorry, meant KD. Thought it was you, for some reason.

Anyhoo, no one answered my question of why people automatically assumed that HW was comparing Obama to Hitler and not Boehner, since Boehner is the one with German roots?

Because he followed his Hitler golfing analogy with "Because Obama and Biden are the enemy!" Which makes it somewhat less ambiguous.

I recall there was just as big an outrage over the backlash/boycott as there was over the original comments. The Dixie Chicks garnered all sorts of sympathy from numerous public figures and media outlets over their right to speak their minds (including Bush if memory serves).

Just because people were a$$holes in '02-08 doesn't mean we should keep being a$$holes.

No they shouldn't, but that doesn't excuse the hypocrisy.

Why shouldn't we tolerate celebrities expressing their political views? Despite all the caustic rhetoric on this board, I never see anything along the lines of "Well you're just a *insert profession*. Stick to that and don't tell me your politics.".

The difference, of course, is that the public is grotesquely infatuated with their favorite actor's or favorite musician's opinions but that can hardly be blamed on the celebrity.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

So the left can say whatever they want about George Bush (and his family) but once a conservative uses a metaphor he needs to be publicly humiliated and forced into thousands of apologies.

Yes. And I support it unconditionally if it pisses you off.

I'm 23. I wasn't shocked. I just don't care. Most of the time when something like this is said its all just noise.

Is Hank Williams really going to make me think Obama is Hitler? No I'm an educated adult and I make up my own mind. If someone is really influenced by that rash of a statement then IMO they are not thinking for themselves.