Gailey timeout at the end of the first half

ofiba

Lost in all the bad calls and defense meltdown was Gailey's curious decision to call a timeout right before the end of the first half, which gave the Bengals another play. Obviously he was thinking it was 4th down, but did he really expect the Bengals to punt it with only 2 seconds left on the clock? Chances are they either run it once more and kill the clock or try for a hail mary. In either scenario, there is a better chance of the Bengals scoring than the Bills. The timeout makes sense with 10-15 seconds left on the clock, but not 2.

Lost in all the bad calls and defense meltdown was Gailey's curious decision to call a timeout right before the end of the first half, which gave the Bengals another play. Obviously he was thinking it was 4th down, but did he really expect the Bengals to punt it with only 2 seconds left on the clock? Chances are they either run it once more and kill the clock or try for a hail mary. In either scenario, there is a better chance of the Bengals scoring than the Bills. The timeout makes sense with 10-15 seconds left on the clock, but not 2.

If you go back and watch a replay of the game, the camera showes Chan "discussing" (arguing?) with the official, about the time-out. You can clearly read Chan's lips "they said it was 4th down...that's why I called timeout!"

It seems, Chan was lead to believe, by someone, either an official or another Bills coach (I will bet it was an official) that it was a Bengals fourth down, not a first down...he called the timeout, I believe, thinking he would make the Bengals punt back to the Bills, in hopes of getting a TD return...far fetched, perhaps, but Chan is pretty aggressive.

I get that he thought it was 4th down. My point is that the Bengals aren't going to punt it with 2 seconds left on the clock so all you are really doing is giving them an extra play.

Not a big deal, but something I had to get off my chest.

I get that he thought it was 4th down. My point is that the Bengals aren't going to punt it with 2 seconds left on the clock so all you are really doing is giving them an extra play.

Good point... they probably have Dalton take the snap, run around for a few seconds, and take a knee.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

Hardly a bad call, but a result of a miscommunication. The officiating crew was lousy from the first snap to the last play.

Chan could have stood there like a statue ala Dick Jauron.

This scenario (running a play in the final seconds of the half, on fourth down) came back to haunt two teams last year, in consecutive weeks...one was the Cowboys (a SNF game if I recall, against the Redskins), and another the next week...can't remember the team...the Cowboys decided to "go for it" on 4th down with a few ticks on the clock at the end of the half, Kitna (IIRC) threw a pick that got returned for a TD. Almost the exact same scenario played out the next week, I just can't remember who the teams were...there was much discussion

I think it was just Chan not wanting to concede anything...at that point, the Bills had really snatched momentum of the game...I can't help but feel that the Bills have some gadget play they are waiting to play, somewhere along the way, on a return. They have a lot of money/roster space invested in guys whose forte is special teams...just a thought. I am not trying to be a Gailey apologist, but, I think the guy knows what he is doing on game day...

Edited by Buftex