Thanks again Dickhead Durbin

Magox

Nice job, Dick. Encourage a run on the bank. Then, when they collapse, you can bail them out. Wait, what's that? They won't collapse, because they're "too big to fail?"

You !@#$ing moronic dipshit. If it weren't for hats, Dick, your head wouldn't have any !@#$ing use whatsoever.

I'm amazed at just how juvenile and incompetent these people with tremendous power are. Who talks like this?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another example of the government picking winners and losers. From what I understand Durbin/Frank were influenced by lobbyists from Walmart and others who convinced them that the fees they paid to banks for Debit Card transactions should be reduced and capped. That's what the legislation did.

Of course, the losers in the argument - the banks have no intention of eating those transaction costs, and they're passing them on to the consumers. That's exactly what happened previously when using a DC for a transaction. You were paying the fees - through higher prices at the establishments where they were used. I'm sure that Walmart and all other merchants will now lower their prices on their merchandise and services to give back to the people that percentage of costs that they are now saving as a result of this law.

To look at it in another way - merchants are going to reap windfall profits because of this law. Banks are not going to give away services for free. To get "free checking" one needs to leave a substantial amount of coin on deposit, and the bank is leveraging that money for other purposes which they hope will earn them additional income that will cover the transactional costs of consumers using their DCs. I'm predicting the next round of street protests and riots against the merchants once this sinks into the consciousness of the media and the entitled generation. Could be manipulated to coincide to begin peaking just in time for the 2012 campaign's summer tour.

So again, the government picks a winner and loser and we, the people get hosed. They should relabel this as "the law of unintended consequences."

:thumbsup:

Unleash free enterprise and things will turn around. Will it be perfect? Of course not. But it will be the best for the most amount of people. And just imagine, being free without the government up your ass for something.

I'm no fan of excessive regulation but "free enterprise" just finished destroying the world economy. Perhaps you missed all the discussion on derivatives, CDO's and credit default swaps?

Perhaps we should just completely dissolve the SEC and judiciary and let lower Manhattan finish the job?

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

I'm no fan of excessive regulation but "free enterprise" just finished destroying the world economy. Perhaps you missed all the discussion on derivatives, CDO's and credit default swaps?

Perhaps we should just completely dissolve the SEC and judiciary and let lower Manhattan finish the job?

Not that you're overstating anything... :rolleyes:

Just another example of the government picking winners and losers. From what I understand Durbin/Frank were influenced by lobbyists from Walmart and others who convinced them that the fees they paid to banks for Debit Card transactions should be reduced and capped. That's what the legislation did.

Hey keep it quiet for a few weeks will ya? I'm starting a new company called Soloutdra which is the opposite of Solyndra so it has to be a win. Give me that government $$$$$$$.

Hey keep it quiet for a few weeks will ya? I'm starting a new company called Soloutdra which is the opposite of Solyndra so it has to be a win. Give me that government $$$$$$$.

Soldoutra would be a more appropriate name.

Umm where is he overstating things? Perhaps you want to blame homeowners again? Did that 6 percent of failed home ownership bring the world to a crashing halt?

What does this or what Mike from S. said, have to with Dickhead Durbins' dumbass amendment?

Nonsensical, poorly thought out, punitive populist pieces of legislation or regulations aren't the answer.

What does this or what Mike from S. said, have to with Dickhead Durbins' dumbass amendment?

Nonsensical, poorly thought out, punitive populist pieces of legislation or regulations aren't the answer.

It is PPP, these threads tend to ramble on a bit.

This is the root cause, and is the exact same problem in health care.

We keep talking in terms of macro swings....

"regulation vs. deregulation"

"billions in spending increases vs. cuts"

all or nothing, back and forth. It's ridiculous.

We need smarter people, and certainly not the government employees in charge right now, to come up with smarter regulation methodology first, never mind regulations themselves. All to often the regulations that are currently imposed are about power, punishment, are short-sighted, rife with unintended consequences, and always about improving the position of the government employee.....and not about ensuring consumer protection, and protection of the economy as a whole.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Umm where is he overstating things?

The whole "it's all Wall Street's fault" thing.

Perhaps you want to blame homeowners again? Did that 6 percent of failed home ownership bring the world to a crashing halt?

Good. Now I don't have to repeat it, thanks.

The whole "it's all Wall Street's fault" thing.

Good. Now I don't have to repeat it, thanks.

Really, I don't recall laying this is all on Wall Street. Care to point out where I said that?

There's plenty of blame to go around and a lot of enablers.Just follow the money!

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Credit default swaps. Perhaps I stumbled on the terminology, but you know what I meant.

That was a far bigger issue than the actual defaults. Won't address that issue will you?

Actually, I have. Repeatedly. Do I need to repeat it yet again?

Really, I don't recall laying this is all on Wall Street. Care to point out where I said that?

There's plenty of blame to go around and a lot of enablers.Just follow the money!