87 Bills?

Harveyj001

I am new to the site and have fumed over some of the preseason posts, I am an eternal optomist so keep that in mind. Also thank you to my always parking in the Hammer lot for my one game a year I was able to get my access started, thank you TDB tailgate!

Anyway does this team remind anyone else of the 87 Bills? A fairly young gunslinger type quarterback, Dareus as a possible Bruce, Merriman as Talley, Johnson as Reed? I just see several parallels if the players pan out as I see them so far it seems that this team could build into something special, we are not quite there yet but I get the same vibe from this team as I did in the 87 time frame. This most likely is not the year as it seems we may be missing a few pieces, but it seems close and for the first time since Bledsoe came to town I am even more optomistic than ususal. What do you guys think?

I am new to the site and have fumed over some of the preseason posts, I am an eternal optomist so keep that in mind. Also thank you to my always parking in the Hammer lot for my one game a year I was able to get my access started, thank you TDB tailgate!

Anyway does this team remind anyone else of the 87 Bills? A fairly young gunslinger type quarterback, Dareus as a possible Bruce, Merriman as Talley, Johnson as Reed? I just see several parallels if the players pan out as I see them so far it seems that this team could build into something special, we are not quite there yet but I get the same vibe from this team as I did in the 87 time frame. This most likely is not the year as it seems we may be missing a few pieces, but it seems close and for the first time since Bledsoe came to town I am even more optomistic than ususal. What do you guys think?

Johnson would have to be Lofton, David Nelson would have to be Reed ;)

Remember that season well and still have games on video tape (actually, have over 100 games on VHS from 1987 - 2000 sitting in a box in a closet) :). Not sure about the parallels in terms of players; however, I definitely think there is a similarity in the feel of a young team on the verge of taking bigger steps...

Remember that season well and still have games on video tape (actually, have over 100 games on VHS from 1987 - 2000 sitting in a box in a closet) :). Not sure about the parallels in terms of players; however, I definitely think there is a similarity in the feel of a young team on the verge of taking bigger steps...

Shawne Merriman is Talley? I think not, at least yet...but a lot to like about this team.

I see similarities between the seasons definitely. hopefully one similarity will play true to form - in 87, the Offense was way ahead of the Defense early in the season. The Offense scored 96 points in the first 3 Non Strike Games. the Defense gave up 92. We went 2 - 1 in that non strike stretch with wins over Houston (last game prior to strike) and Miami (first game back from strike). season opening loss to the NY Jets.

Folks, remember something about last weeks Oakland game, Oakland's O Line will end up being one of the very best this season. the O line played so well Sunday, any team would have had challenges. That said, don't sell our defense short just yet. We have 4 new starters with one being a rookie, and one veteran coming back off a string of injuries.

Hit Post to soon. Later in the 87 season, the Bills Defense turned it completely around from the first 3 non strike games and ended finishing up #2 to Cleveland and shut out Marino at home (I was there for that game).

Great observation, Harveyj001, though I think the Bills v.2011 are further along than that 7-8 strike-plagued season - I believe our 'replacements' were called the "Counterfeit Bills" B-)

But I was thinking along those very lines the other day - that this Bills team is 2-3 years ahead of where everyone else thinks they are - only I was recalling the 1988 Bills that shocked everyone, finishing 12-4 and going on to the AFC title game. (Most folks thought THAT team was still a couple more years way from a playoff run as well.)

Stranger things can (and do) happen in the NFL...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

mmm...Our front 7 isnt at the 87 level...not even close. But directionwise you have something there--we hope.

I like the comparison to the 09' Saints better, however the largest difference between the two teams is the 3-4 vs 4-3 defenses and the 09' saints had a much better O-line. Bills o-line has looked pretty good thus far though.

Fitz- Brees

spiller/freddie- Bush/thomas

chandler- Shockey

Johnson, nelson, jones - henderson, colston, moore

Their receivers had more speed also.