Fitz = Kurt Warner

H2o

The most apt comparison is Jake Delhomme in his prime. Both guys were sort of rotting on the sidelines until their late 20's. Both are fairly mobile gunslingers/risktakers with lower-than-average completion percentages. Check out Delhomme's stats from 2003-2005 when he was 28-30 years old. Those numbers are eerily similar to Fitz's stats as quarterback for the Bills.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jakedelhomme/2500361/profile

This is not meant to be a knock on Fitz. Delhomme was considered a top-10 quarterback at that time and he proved to be good enough in his one Super Bowl appearance to have won that game for the Panthers. Injuries ended up taking a toll on him and then his skills just fell off a cliff.

These are the things that continue to impress YE OLE more and more. QB's don't make it in this league without being able to read defense, and the ones who are great at reading defense tend to be great QB's. Fitz, while he isn't Peyton Manning, does have some physical tools, but he is very good at reading defense. Look how long Chad Pennington remained a decent QB in this league, despite a poor arm. YE OLE has been on the Fitz bandwagon, and I'm excited to see where it goes this year. Hearing Fred say this is even more exciting.

I think that's an extremely valid comparison. Pennington had alot of short comings, but he was smart. And it took him and the teams he played on a long way. Now, I would say Fitz has a much better arm than Penny; but Fitz has accuracy issues. If he continues to work on that and becomes more accurate with the ball; the sky is the limit. I'm not a QB coach, so I don't know if its core body strength, poor body positioning, bad foot work, or what.. but whatever it is; that's his biggest weakness IMO.

Brett Favre was not a castoff. He was a highly touted QB who fell to the 2nd round because some teams were afraid of him medically due to an auto accident. He was a rookie who didn't play because his team had an established QB. Between the time he was drafted & the next draft, Ron Wolf, who when he was with the Jets ranked him as the best player in the 1991 draft and saw him picked 1 pick before the Jets 1st pick, which was in the 2nd round since they had used their #1 in the supplimental draft the year before, was hired as Green Bay's GM. With Favre not #1 on the depth chart in Atlanta, Wolf, now GM in GB, offered Atlanta Green Bay's 1st round pick and Favre was traded to GB for the 1st round pick 1 year after being selected in the 2nd round. A 2nd year player traded for a 1st round pick is not a castoff.

Also, the Jets tried desperatly to trade up around the end of the 1st round to get Favre, but couldn't find anyone willing to trade with them & ended up taking Browning Nagle 1 pick after Favre.

He was a mess while in Atlanta.

I think Brett would even admitt the best thing that ever happened to him was being traded to GB. His career would never have been what it was w.o that move.

Holmgren mentored him into the player he was, maybe like Chan is doing with Fitz?