Raining on the Parade

Pass the Pipe

Yes forfiet the game is best. They can take the afternoon off, "pass the pipe" and talk about how bad they suck...

lol what a joke this is. the guy isn't sitting here saying he hates the bills and wants us to lose, he's simply making a prediction that is COMPLETELY ON POINT WITH WHAT THE LAST 15 PATRIOT GAMES HAVE SHOWN US.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's a huge flaw in your logic - why get so built up with expectations and the consequent disappointment in the first place? why not temper the expectations until there's actual proof this team can handle the pats or jets? i don't think he's being a smart ass - i think he's calling it like he sees it, and if you've been in the "the bills will struggle" camp, you've been on point much more often than the misinformed homers.

every god damn year there's a bunch of idiots predicting a playoff spot, and every year we're not even in the ballgame come december. i'm willing to bet these are the same people now calling for a 12-4 season. it's truly unreal. that dunning-kruger effect is on the !@#$ing money.

I am not saying we get to the play offs. I am not saying we are going to win the whole show. However, I am sure in 99 when the rams were voted worst team of the decade they had guys saying that could be their year. I am sure they had their own share of moaners saying they were crap. I am not saying we are the Rams but.... we could be. I have already spoken to the OP and though I see why he's down on the Bills I also see that he would LOVE to be wrong. You or I do not KNOW how this year will play out. NO-ONE does. Why not enjoy it while it lasts instead of being down on those who are? Why not be an "idiot"? You may just like it!

I am not saying we get to the play offs. I am not saying we are going to win the whole show. However, I am sure in 99 when the rams were voted worst team of the decade they had guys saying that could be their year. I am sure they had their own share of moaners saying they were crap. I am not saying we are the Rams but.... we could be. I have already spoken to the OP and though I see why he's down on the Bills I also see that he would LOVE to be wrong. You or I do not KNOW how this year will play out. NO-ONE does. Why not enjoy it while it lasts instead of being down on those who are? Why not be an "idiot"? You may just like it!

Amen :thumbsup:

there's a huge flaw in your logic - why get so built up with expectations and the consequent disappointment in the first place? why not temper the expectations until there's actual proof this team can handle the pats or jets? i don't think he's being a smart ass - i think he's calling it like he sees it, and if you've been in the "the bills will struggle" camp, you've been on point much more often than the misinformed homers.

every god damn year there's a bunch of idiots predicting a playoff spot, and every year we're not even in the ballgame come december. i'm willing to bet these are the same people now calling for a 12-4 season. it's truly unreal. that dunning-kruger effect is on the !@#$ing money.

I think you have a huge unexamined assumption underlying your own argument here, namely, that accurately predicting a bad record helps you feel better when it comes to pass. Guess what, I got more enjoyment out of the 2008 season when I thought the Bills were headed up and had those hopes dashed than I did in the 2009 season when I knew they were going to be terrible. Maybe for some people having that letdown is a bigger deal than it is for others. For me, it's not. I'd rather entertain dreams of playoffs (as ludicrous as it might sound) than preemptively brace for a comeuppance.

Why not enjoy it while it lasts instead of being down on those who are? Why not be an "idiot"? You may just like it!

That's where you have it wrong - I'm enjoying it a great deal. I think this team is definitely on the up and the Oakland win is not a game the '09 or '10 Bills would've won. With that said, I'm not blowing my wad yet over an 2-0 start, especially when you're about to face the game's best player who has OWNED you for 8 years and is setting records with his early season performance. For me, it's just about having realistic and tempered expectations - that's all. When I see that we "should" beat the Pats and "should" go 12-4, I naturally assume the person is A. suffering from the complex/effect discussed above, or B. 14 years old.

I think you have a huge unexamined assumption underlying your own argument here, namely, that accurately predicting a bad record helps you feel better when it comes to pass. Guess what, I got more enjoyment out of the 2008 season when I thought the Bills were headed up and had those hopes dashed than I did in the 2009 season when I knew they were going to be terrible. Maybe for some people having that letdown is a bigger deal than it is for others. For me, it's not. I'd rather entertain dreams of playoffs (as ludicrous as it might sound) than preemptively brace for a comeuppance.

Wrong. Maybe for some people that's the case, but not for me - not my style. My predicting is simply a product of what I see and what I know. Is it possible that an offense put together by journeymen, URFAs, and 7th rounder can lead a top 5 unit to a 11-5 record? - sure. Is it likely? - god no.

You're making an assumption that I like predicting a 6-8 win season. That's just not true at all.

That's where you have it wrong - I'm enjoying it a great deal. I think this team is definitely on the up and the Oakland win is not a game the '09 or '10 Bills would've won. With that said, I'm not blowing my wad yet over an 2-0 start, especially when you're about to face the game's best player who has OWNED you for 8 years and is setting records with his early season performance. For me, it's just about having realistic and tempered expectations - that's all. When I see that we "should" beat the Pats and "should" go 12-4, I naturally assume the person is A. suffering from the complex/effect discussed above, or B. 14 years old.

Haha that's just plain wrong though. But for a terrible decision to run the ball out of the end zone in the final seconds of the game in New England we would have beaten the Pats 2 years ago. Hell we should have won a few of the games with a terrible team. To steal a line "if you want to crown them, then crown their ass". The Pats are a good team but that's it. Their defence is average and let's be honest about it, minus Brady and they are the Indianapolis Colts.

Wrong. Maybe for some people that's the case, but not for me - not my style. My predicting is simply a product of what I see and what I know. Is it possible that an offense put together by journeymen, URFAs, and 7th rounder can lead a top 5 unit to a 11-5 record? - sure. Is it likely? - god no.

You're making an assumption that I like predicting a 6-8 win season. That's just not true at all.

OK. Would it be fair to say that you think that inaccurately predicting a great record makes you feel worse when the team does poorly? Because based on my experience in the past few years, I enjoyed it more when I let myself get swept up in (in retrospect) ridiculous hopes. I didn't feel noticeably worse when disaster struck than if I had seen it coming.

Making accurate predictions is great, but I'm a fan, not a professional analyst.

Haha that's just plain wrong though. But for a terrible decision to run the ball out of the end zone in the final seconds of the game in New England we would have beaten the Pats 2 years ago. Hell we should have won a few of the games with a terrible team. To steal a line "if you want to crown them, then crown their ass". The Pats are a good team but that's it. Their defence is average and let's be honest about it, minus Brady and they are the Indianapolis Colts.

lol whatever man. in my world, a 15 game win streak is a 15 game win streak. and they're operating as efficiently as they ever have.

You have the right to believe whatever you want about the ability of this team and how they will fare this year. My question is why do you seem to take it so personally when others disagree with you - to the point of personally insulting them? Are their opinions taking away any paychecks, preventing your chances for advancement in your job, removing food from your family's table, or otherwise affecting you in some way personally? Just trying to understand.

OK. Would it be fair to say that you think that inaccurately predicting a great record makes you feel worse when the team does poorly? Because based on my experience in the past few years, I enjoyed it more when I let myself get swept up in (in retrospect) ridiculous hopes. I didn't feel noticeably worse when disaster struck than if I had seen it coming.

Making accurate predictions is great, but I'm a fan, not a professional analyst.

haha idk man, but i definitely was guilty of getting "swept up" and certainly still am, but the cowboys collapse and mckelvin's fumble took a lot out of me. now, my expectations are a bit lower until i see some proof on the field. i'm a superfan like the rest of this board, and get emotionally invested to the point i feel like i'm about to stroke out (see this past Sunday) - but in times like last year when the team is really bad, i just tune them out and remember there are other things in life. getting super jacked up and then super down just doesn't do it for me, i'd rather keep an even keel.

You have the right to believe whatever you want about the ability of this team and how they will fare this year. My question is why do you seem to take it so personally when others disagree with you - to the point of personally insulting them? Are their opinions taking away any paychecks, preventing your chances for advancement in your job, removing food from your family's table, or otherwise affecting you in some way personally? Just trying to understand.

i don't think i've insulted anyone directly, have i?

haha idk man, but i definitely was guilty of getting "swept up" and certainly still am, but the cowboys collapse and mckelvin's fumble took a lot out of me. now, my expectations are a bit lower until i see some proof on the field. i'm a superfan like the rest of this board, and get emotionally invested to the point i feel like i'm about to stroke out (see this past Sunday) - but in times like last year when the team is really bad, i just tune them out and remember there are other things in life. getting super jacked up and then super down just doesn't do it for me, i'd rather keep an even keel.

I'm thinking calling people idiots and insinuating they have the maturity/intellect of a 14 year old (unless, of course, you were referring to 14 year old prodigies) sort of qualifies...

Directly no, but you did brand a large group of people idiots for getting excited about our start. My mother told me idiot was a nasty word. :blink:

However I don't think we can resolve this. I'll stand over my side of the fence with the idiots and you can stay over the other side with your chicken little friends waiting for the sky to fall in. If it does you can hold your head up high and proudly look at us idiots and say I told you so.

For me 2 seasons ago was the worst I've ever felt as a Bills fan. I wasn't sad or anything, I really just didn't care, and that was way worse for me than the times I thought the team was going to amount for something and had to deal with a crushing loss. I mean, maybe in the individual moment it wasn't as bad as something like that Cowboys game (or any number of other disasters you might care to mention), but overall I would say apathy was actually worse.

Getting back to the idea of raining on the parade... something that bothers me is that Urbik is hurt. The O-line is already a concern. Now it seems like a big problem. There aren't many bodies available right away. Chris Hairston, Chad Rinehart and Colin Brown are listed in the depth chart as back-ups on the O-line. I know Rinehart came in after Urbik went out. What happens if somebody else gets hurt?

Directly no, but you did brand a large group of people idiots for getting excited about our start. My mother told me idiot was a nasty word. :blink:

However I don't think we can resolve this. I'll stand over my side of the fence with the idiots and you can stay over the other side with your chicken little friends waiting for the sky to fall in. If it does you can hold your head up high and proudly look at us idiots and say I told you so.

yea, not exactly. the idiots are the group who predict 11-5 and then call you an idiot for disagreeing. this has been going on for a decade - i've been here the whole time.

I'm thinking calling people idiots and insinuating they have the maturity/intellect of a 14 year old (unless, of course, you were referring to 14 year old prodigies) sort of qualifies...

right, so no one directly. if you were predicting 11-5 last year, let's just say i'm sure as !@#$ not going to be coming to you for financial/business/life advice.

:wallbash:

keep pounding your head i guess. you have 2 groups of people calling each other idiots. while arguing the same points, one group has been right on for 10 years, the other has been dead !@#$ing wrong. so who's the idiot?

Edited by deep2evans

A cold dose of reality will sweep over the emotional fan base with the arrival of Brady and company on Sunday; my estimate is around 2:15 PM EST, almost like the Aztecan calendar.

Many Jets fans held your same belief last year and they beat the Patriots twice last year, same goes for the Browns. It's all about matchup's and schemes. The Browns and Jets beat the Patriots by playing like the 2001-2004 Patriots. We won't beat New England going 4 wide and out gunning them. Expect to see some new formations and schemes on Sunday. If Gailey executes the proper plan 1 hour into the game we will have 12 minutes of possession to 4 minutes for the Pats.

keep pounding your head i guess. you have 2 groups of people calling each other idiots. one group has been right on for 10 years, the other has been dead !@#$ing wrong. so who's the idiot?

The Bills fans who need to be "right" on a message board in order to feel better about their real lives. The Bills "fans" that are afraid to get behind the team because they might get their feelings hurt. They obviously take football, and the internet, WAAAAAAAY too seriously.

SUPER BOWL BABY!! Im here to cheer for the Bills. If you think Im an idiot, I really dont care. I dont need to be right to you, another semi-anonymous internet poster.

But keep playing the odds of failure if you need to make yourself feel better... :rolleyes:

right, so no one directly. if you were predicting 11-5 last year, let's just say i'm sure as !@#$ not going to be coming to you for financial/business/life advice.

And the beginning of your post just proves my point. You think Finances, Business, and Life are all equal to a Football Message Board? Sounds kinda pathetic bro.

Edited by DrDareustein