The REVIEW

Heard the ref's take on it from his press conference (didn't know they had press conferences too...) Carey said he was in his locker room when he was buzzed to look at the replay. Went back to the field and went under the hood and found the replay system not even on, had to wait for them to cue up the play ... And then discovered that the buzz from upstairs was a malfunction, there was really no call to review it.

interesting so what if the review showed dual possession could they overturn since the buzz was a malfunction? Must be the NFL is preparing for another Give it to em since Pats are coming to town.

It wasn't so much a press conference. They let Mark Gaughan be the pool reporter:

Q: Describe what happened after the call on the field of an interception?

MC: It was ruled an interception. We came into the locker room after delaying to see if it was going to be reviewed. I got a beep in the locker room, a buzz in the locker room, that said review. Went back out, put the headset on. They weren’t set up. But it was an erroneous transmission, and they had already confirmed the ruling on the field.

Q: What was an erroneous transmission?

MC: The beep that I got (on his beeper).

Q: Could you go over the process at the end if the booth thinks a review is necessary?

MC: On all instant replay reviews, the referee goes in an reviews the play – if there’s a review. I got a buzz that said review it. When I got out there they said it had already been confirmed. There was no need for a review. It was an erroneous transmission to my buzzer for review.

Q: Lastly, describe what is required to determine that there is simultaneous possession on a pass like that, a receiver needs to … ?

MC: He needs to maintain possession when he goes to the ground. If he doesn’t maintain possession then it’s either incomplete or an interception.

---Mark Gaughan

I'm really curious what would have been said had they viewed it as a simultaneous catch and reversed the call, giving the Raiders the catch and the win. I know a holding call isn't reviewable, but damn Merriman was MUGGED on that play. I just wonder how the NFL could allow something like that to happen on a game changing play in those circumstances?

I'm really curious what would have been said had they viewed it as a simultaneous catch and reversed the call, giving the Raiders the catch and the win. I know a holding call isn't reviewable, but damn Merriman was MUGGED on that play. I just wonder how the NFL could allow something like that to happen on a game changing play in those circumstances?

Would have been a Raiders win, game over. You can't review a non-call, afaik.

Thats actually not true Doc. All the Raider WR had to do was put his hands on the ball along with Searcy inside the endzone before he took a knee and it is a Raider TD. It was reviewed for 9 minutes to make sure that never happened. Searcy made a huge mistake and he is lucky it did not cost the Bills the game!

Paul Hamilton from GR reported that the whole review thing was a mistake/misunderstanding. He was there on the field when it was going on. The replays officials already ruled it was an INT immediately after the play. Someone actually made a mistake buzzing the Head Office about a review, and that's when he came back on the field along with the Raiders coaches and some players. But there was no chance of over-turning it in favor of the Raiders.

Would have been a Raiders win, game over. You can't review a non-call, afaik.

Yes, I know... I'm just curious to hear what the NFL would say about it, because there would have been insane bitching about it to the point they would've had to address it. It's just BS that a team gets a free shot at the endzone.

Thats actually not true Doc. All the Raider WR had to do was put his hands on the ball along with Searcy inside the endzone before he took a knee and it is a Raider TD. It was reviewed for 9 minutes to make sure that never happened. Searcy made a huge mistake and he is lucky it did not cost the Bills the game!

The refs will let the players fight for the ball until one of them gains sole possession, or they both have their arms around it. An "completing the act," so to speak.