Lease Talks

...with an escape clause to allow for building a new stadium locally if some miracle were to occur.

If the team is successful, people will pay more to see the games, and they will be able to afford to build something in a more geographically friendly location for fans located in Southern Ontario or Rochester, perhaps in Niagara or Tonawanda.

Since they would be signing the lease with the county, anyone who is on the county's side would be doing their due dilligence to protect the county's interest. Therefore, the escape clause should be written that the new stadium has to be built in Erie County. There are enough options in Erie County from downtown to Lancaster.

NFW to Southern Ontario-The Bills are America's team, not Canada's!

Sounds more like negotiation posturing to me. "No urgency" = "We're not giving any leverage." He is playing with fire if he's up for election this November.

I do hope it gets done, though. I think it was pretty big of Ralph to come right out and say publicly: "Lookit, we don't need the Enormodome replete with nightclubs, restaurants, shopping malls and spas. All we really need are some basic repairs and upgrades to update what is basically a perfectly usable stadium."

Sounds to me like he wants to get a deal done.

as bad as the politics are here, no politician in WNY wants to be the guy who let the Bills move because he was too pigheaded and stubborn

It would be career suicide

i think new york state owes us. they committed funds for the mets in the building of Citifield, and also assisted the yankees somewhat, we should have no problem getting state funds to upgrade the ralph if the local politicians get their heads outta of their a$$es. i know all about the public's distaste of govt assisting millionaire NFL owners, but in this case it is elementary , in a business sense, the bills help support whatever economy there is left in western new york.

Edited by dwight in philly

Friggin teenaged school girl waiting for the phone to ring. How about picking the damn thing up and making that call yourself?

Have you ever entertained the thought that back in the day some of those friggin teenage school girls actually did pick up the phone and make the call? It just wasn't your particular phone number they called. Personally I had it tough because it is not easy hiring a switchboard operator to handle my calls. Too many union regulations.

I feel those fancy-ass new stadiums are ruining football. There are things you can do to improve RWS...make wider concourses if possible, better bathrooms, better concessions, etc...but the stadium is fine as it is.

Well perhaps one thing...put a roof on it. Yeah yeah I know all about football in the elements, frozen tundra, and so on. But we all know people have trouble selling out RWS after November. We are getting old and soft and freezing our asses off is something we won't do anymore.

PTR

I agree the stadium is pretty good, especially the bowl design. It has great sight lines and isnt ridiculously steep. We were watching the game yesterday and the new turf, new field and blue skies(in High Def) looked beautiful. The wife even commented on how nice of a stadium it was.

Gorski thought he was in the drivers seat and that if the Bills left, another NFL team would move in. Which demonstrated that he had zero clue as to what was going on beyond the city limits. It was a typical politician that still thought Buffalo was one fo the wealthiest and largest cities in the nation.

I think this is a major story, which is being overlooked because the team's performance to this point has everybody firmly focused on their play as opposed to the long term viability of the franchise. What I think is even more interesting is that for the first time in maybe forever, Bills fans now actually have a voice in keeping the team in Buffalo. For Ralph to say he wants to secure a long term lease is essentially saying he wants to, for now, take a significant step in keeping the Bills in Buffalo. Bills fans have no method for influencing Ralph's decision to keep the team in Buffalo, sign a lease, sell the team to a Buffalo based owner, or anything else. (If we did, we would have made him sell the team to a Buffalo ownership group years ago. Essentially, we have been at his mercy as he does whatever he wants with this franchise.

Collins, on the other hand, is an elected official who is hell bent on getting re-elected. My best bet is that he wants to push this off until after the election, because a failure to negotiate a lease while he is actually trying to do so could turn public sentiment... and the popular vote in a hurry. However, by dragging his heels, he figures that the deadline on this lease is far enough away that the failure to secure a new lease by November will be a non-story, or at worst, a slight negative upon him that won't turn an election one way or the other. Hence his quote about there being "no sense of urgency."

We as Bills fans know that in fact, there IS urgency. Ralph is 92. The reality is that his body, or mind can give out at any point. Moreover, he has expressed a desire to hammer out a lease agreement now, and does not appear to be making any unreasonable demands. For the region, prompt action in securing funds and beginning to negotiate is by far the best course of action. However, Collins seems to feel it might not be the best for him politically.

Ultimately, we control how much of a story this becomes. Petitions and letters could go a long way to raising awareness about the situation to the tax base and spurring Collins into action. Or, Poloncarz could seize upon this story as an opportunity to attack Collins for not doing more to lock down the Bills, the lifeblood of the community for so long.

Edited by Nostradamus

I think this is a major story, which is being overlooked because the team's performance to this point has everybody firmly focused on their play as opposed to the long term viability of the franchise. What I think is even more interesting is that for the first time in maybe forever, Bills fans now actually have a voice in keeping the team in Buffalo. For Ralph to say he wants to secure a long term lease is essentially saying he wants to, for now, take a significant step in keeping the Bills in Buffalo. Bills fans have no method for influencing Ralph's decision to keep the team in Buffalo, sign a lease, sell the team to a Buffalo based owner, or anything else. (If we did, we would have made him sell the team to a Buffalo ownership group years ago. Essentially, we have been at his mercy as he does whatever he wants with this franchise.

Collins, on the other hand, is an elected official who is hell bent on getting re-elected. My best bet is that he wants to push this off until after the election, because a failure to negotiate a lease while he is actually trying to do so could turn public sentiment... and the popular vote in a hurry. However, by dragging his heels, he figures that the deadline on this lease is far enough away that the failure to secure a new lease by November will be a non-story, or at worst, a slight negative upon him that won't turn an election one way or the other. Hence his quote about there being "no sense of urgency."

We as Bills fans know that in fact, there IS urgency. Ralph is 92. The reality is that his body, or mind can give out at any point. Moreover, he has expressed a desire to hammer out a lease agreement now, and does not appear to be making any unreasonable demands. For the region, prompt action in securing funds and beginning to negotiate is by far the best course of action. However, Collins seems to feel it might not be the best for him politically.

Ultimately, we control how much of a story this becomes. Petitions and letters could go a long way to raising awareness about the situation to the tax base and spurring Collins into action. Or, Poloncarz could seize upon this story as an opportunity to attack Collins for not doing more to lock down the Bills, the lifeblood of the community for so long.

I agree. Polancarz should make hay with this. But, the story really is as big as the out clause, isn't it?

I agree. Polancarz should make hay with this. But, the story really is as big as the out clause, isn't it?

Yes, but there is no way that any County would negotiate a long term lease that would allow an owner to just skip town and leave them holding the bag. More to the point, what would Ralph get by negotiating a sweetheart escape clause?? Nothing. It would seem that the only plausible reason Ralph would have for seeking a long term lease is to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Yes, but there is no way that any County would negotiate a long term lease that would allow an owner to just skip town and leave them holding the bag.

Yeah, just like there is no way that Erie County would let the Bills move one of their "home" games to Toronto and get absolutely nothing in return for allowing the Bills to escape the existing lease for one game per year.

Not saying Ralph will demand a "sweetheart" escape clause, but if he did, do you really think that Erie County would say - - "we won't renew the lease and let you continue to play at Ralph Wilson Stadium if you demand a sweetheart escape clause"? That's not realistic. Ralph will get pretty much whatever escape clause he wants, especially if (1) the Orchard Park lease is negotiated before the new LA stadium gets a tenant, and (2) Ralph is demanding relatively minor stadium improvements (by current NFL standards). BTW, I don't know what criteria you would use to detemine if it qualifies as a "sweetheart" escape clause, but the current Orchard Park stadium lease allows the Bills to buy out the remaining term of the lease with a cash payment that declines over time:

http://www.erie.gov/billslease/stadium.phtml

7.2 Lease Buyout Option. The Bills shall have the right to terminate this Stadium Lease effective at 11:59 p.m., Buffalo, New York time, on the last day of any of the sixth (6th) through fourteenth (14th) Lease Years (i.e., July 30th of any of the Lease Years ending in 2004 through 2012). Such right of cancellation shall be exercised by the Bills' delivery to the County and the ECSC of written notice no later than 12:00 noon on February 28th of the Lease Year at the end of which the Bills seek to end the Term. The effectiveness of such notice shall be conditioned upon the payment, on or before the Termination Date, by the Bills to the ECSC of the Termination Fee for such Lease Year less that portion of the Recoupment Amount as may have been agreed upon by the Bills and the ECSC on or before the Termination Date. If it is later determined (either by the agreement of the Bills and the ECSC or by a decision of the arbitrators pursuant to Article 23 of this Stadium Lease) that the Recoupment Amount is greater than the amount actually deducted from the Termination Fee as provided in the immediately preceding sentence, the ECSC shall promptly refund said difference to the Bills. If (a) as of the Termination Date, (i) Transfer of Ownership has occurred, or (ii) the Bills have entered into a contract or other agreement with any Person which contemplates Transfer of Ownership, or (b) prior to the Termination Date, the Bills have had discussions with any Person in contemplation of Transfer of Ownership, and within one (1) year of the Termination Date, (i) the Bills have entered into a contract or agreement with such Person which contemplates Transfer of Ownership or (ii) Transfer of Ownership to such Person has occurred, the Termination Fee shall be one-hundred and fifty percent (150%) of the amount that is otherwise due and payable pursuant to this Section 7.2. The Bills obligation to pay the Termination Fee shall survive the termination of this Stadium Lease.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2003/03/03/story2.html

The team, if it wishes, can trigger an escape clause after any of the next nine seasons, instantly voiding the rest of the agreement. The first deadline is one year from now: Feb. 28, 2004.

The stadium lease, as a result, has become a year-to-year deal. It could remain in force for the next 10 years, or it could be canceled as soon as next February. It will be up to the Bills � and only the Bills � to decide.

More to the point, what would Ralph get by negotiating a sweetheart escape clause?? Nothing.

You really can't think of any potential economic advantage that Ralph would receive if he could just terminate the stadium lease any time he wanted? Really?

It would seem that the only plausible reason Ralph would have for seeking a long term lease is to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Maybe, but it seems to me like a very plausible reason why Ralph would demand relatively minor stadium improvements might be that he plans to seek a pretty favorable escape clause. Not because he has any plans to move the franchise during his lifetime, but because unlike you, he can think of a reason why it would maximize the value of the franchise to his estate.