Jairus Bryd

Estelle Getty

He is a tackling machine. I can't remember how many times he would be the last defender with a chance to tackle the running back last year and everytime he would make a nice open field tackle while running foward towards the back. I would think that with a full off season to get healthy he will have a big year for us. I mention this because he seems to be an after though this year. And we all know he is a ball hawk....kind of the oppisite of what was his name. It is a new era in Buffalo with an overhauled roster of young hungry players who don't accept losing.

The whole secondary had a lot of tackles.

Byrd especially, he was all over the field making plays. They did use Scott as a Nickel Backer FWIW. (not to be confused with a Nickel back). Say what you want about Whitner as slightly above average to the worst safety ever, but he never controlled parts of a game like Byrd did Sunday.

That might be what he does this year. He must have learned how to tackle in the off season. He was a horrible tackler last year and the year before that.

it wasn't him being a bad tackler, he took very poor angles at tackling. He understood coverage over run support when he came in and now has a more balanced understanding of the game and position. Mind you he played a good amount of corner in college.

Love Byrd, seems like most people on this board thinks he was awful last year because he had one pic.

He must have had a bad game Sunday as well because he had no picks again

Well the team was 4-12. Alot had to do with the front 7. This year will not be an excuse for Byrd.

As I'd mentioned in another thread, Byrd gets a quiet "Play of the Game". The Pope touchdown that was overturned is all Byrd. Byrd knew he was beat, but gave a big swat with his right hand onto Pope's hands. A very smart play on his part, because he knew that body tackling at that point was useless. Pope had both feet in bounds, and it was about to be 14-6 (the score was already up on the board). Because Byrd hit Pope's hands, the ball was technically bobbling in Pope's grasp when he landed. Byrd doesn't make that heads-up play, and the score is 14-7, and the Arrowhead Stadium crowd is right back in the game. It was a huge play that I don't think gets enough recognition.

As I'd mentioned in another thread, Byrd gets a quiet "Play of the Game". The Pope touchdown that was overturned is all Byrd. Byrd knew he was beat, but gave a big swat with his right hand onto Pope's hands. A very smart play on his part, because he knew that body tackling at that point was useless. Pope had both feet in bounds, and it was about to be 14-6 (the score was already up on the board). Because Byrd hit Pope's hands, the ball was technically bobbling in Pope's grasp when he landed. Byrd doesn't make that heads-up play, and the score is 14-7, and the Arrowhead Stadium crowd is right back in the game. It was a huge play that I don't think gets enough recognition.

+1.

He showed very good football intelligence on that play. Little things like that play are what makes a difference, and signs of a well coached/disciplined team. Lets hope it continues!

+1.

He showed very good football intelligence on that play. Little things like that play are what makes a difference, and signs of a well coached/disciplined team. Lets hope it continues!

He looked to me like a possible MVP of our defense. I'm not sure how great his dad was, but he looks like someone with serious football genes

He looked to me like a possible MVP of our defense. I'm not sure how great his dad was, but he looks like someone with serious football genes

Waaay too early for a prediction like that. But yes, he was awesome Sunday. His tackling was excellent.

Add excellent tackling to a ball hawk. whoa....

Waaay too early for a prediction like that. But yes, he was awesome Sunday. His tackling was excellent.

Add excellent tackling to a ball hawk. whoa....

His tackles in run support on Sunday were straightline plays. When (if) he shows that he can take good angles in space at the second level he will have improved the main deficiency in his game. Do that and hes overall a very good safety.