CJ Spiller

Kipers Hair

CJ's performance so far is worrisome, but only because of his former draft status. By picking a flashy weapon as opposed to a trench player that high, especially when the trenches were (and remain) so questionable, that guy basically has to become a dominant force, at least become a major contributor to the offense, or else it was an inefficient pick. As a situational running back who thus far is seemingly always stuffed for no gain, we should be fairly upset with how the Spiller pick has panned out thus far.

Thats not to say that he can't improve, and we should obviously keep him and see how much he does, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Sproles 2.0.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you are unbelievable. Fred Jackson just had a great game and Spiller scored his 1st td. Is it impossible not to enjoy it? What if FJax gets hurt? It is a very long season and Spiller already has more rushing tds than he did all last year. :thumbsup:

Spiller ran hard and did well. His touchdown was an excellent run. I don't really get it.

I think anyone would agree, Buddy and Chan have done a pretty good job shaoing this roster into the team they envisioned before they signed up for their tour of duty at One Bills Drive, however, how long do you think it will take until they cry uncle on the CJ Spiller choice? I don't get where he even fit's their M.O. of what they want their team to look like...he is simply a poor man's Reggie Bush and will never be anything more than this... Sure' he has done infinitely more than the Aaron Mayhem pick, but considernig all of the needs we had/have and the clear vision for a team they have - we missed the mark greatly taking Spiller where we did. I would argue that Chief's second round pick McCluster is more electrifying and is doing what we had expected from Spiller-time....

Sometimes it puzzles me when a coaching staff out-think themselves...In this case you have two electrifying players handled entirely different by the OC's- offensive scheme:

A- KC elects to go on the attack with McCluster using him to his strength (which stand to reason with his college production) they leave little doubt for why he's in the game...swing pass, wheel routes and the slot. They don't ask him to block opposing DE or blitzing LB's they rather put the defense on their heals and make them cover this water-bug.

B- Buffalo for some reason wants the Def to not stereotype Spiller's role when in the game and want to make him a complete back focusing on developing his weakness (blocking and running between tackles) think Tiger working on his swing back in his prime...In this latter case the learning curve is gradual and instant returns are minimal hoping for long term gain ( I dunno). Chan keeps saying that they want to give him the ball in space but it seems once the game starts he loses his place or get caught up in the action but he calls the same run plays for him as if he's Jackson :thumbdown: .

This scenario is very frustrating to fans and CJ. If they want success for their top 10 pick IMHO alternate a series or so with CJ with a list of plays designed specific to his skill set (swing passes, wheel route and draws) to attack the Def and let him get a feel for the game. Hell they drafted a situational back within the top 10 stop trying to fool yourself into believing otherwise.Don't get it twisted I think Spiller is a special player just not being used properly.

Sometimes it puzzles me when a coaching staff out-think themselves...In this case you have two electrifying players handled entirely different by the OC's- offensive scheme:

A- KC elects to go on the attack with McCluster using him to his strength (which stand to reason with his college production) they leave little doubt for why he's in the game...swing pass, wheel routes and the slot. They don't ask him to block opposing DE or blitzing LB's they rather put the defense on their heals and make them cover this water-bug.

B- Buffalo for some reason wants the Def to not stereotype Spiller's role when in the game and want to make him a complete back focusing on developing his weakness (blocking and running between tackles) think Tiger working on his swing back in his prime...In this latter case the learning curve is gradual and instant returns are minimal hoping for long term gain ( I dunno). Chan keeps saying that they want to give him the ball in space but it seems once the game starts he loses his place or get caught up in the action but he calls the same run plays for him as if he's Jackson :thumbdown: .

This scenario is very frustrating to fans and CJ. If they want success for their top 10 pick IMHO alternate a series or so with CJ with a list of plays designed specific to his skill set (swing passes, wheel route and draws) to attack the Def and let him get a feel for the game. Hell they drafted a situational back within the top 10 stop trying to fool yourself into believing otherwise.Don't get it twisted I think Spiller is a special player just not being used properly.

+1

CJ's performance so far is worrisome, but only because of his former draft status. By picking a flashy weapon as opposed to a trench player that high, especially when the trenches were (and remain) so questionable, that guy basically has to become a dominant force, at least become a major contributor to the offense, or else it was an inefficient pick. As a situational running back who thus far is seemingly always stuffed for no gain, we should be fairly upset with how the Spiller pick has panned out thus far.

Thats not to say that he can't improve, and we should obviously keep him and see how much he does, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Sproles 2.0.

Welcome to TBD!