Authors and Books

ajzepp

He only has two more to go. I want the books just as much as anyone else, but I'd rather he take his time and get it right than rush it out to appease impatient people. I've been reading this series since the late 90s. You have to learn patience.

To me a good example is the Dark Tower series. That series has been spread out over 30 years, yet people don't seem to be in a rush for Stephen King to get the next book out. They seem to realize that the creative process takes time and when another one is ready another one will come out.

I love the Dark Tower and I waited patently for every release since the first came out. King admitted he didn't think he would ever finish the series. I think Martin is having trouble navigating the story due to the complexity and sheer size of the project. With the success of the HBO series, he may concentrate on A Song of Ice and Fire more and ignore other projects he has been working on.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin is getting HAMMERED in the reviews for his last two books, and perhaps justifiably so. The first three books of the series were just fantastic. Then it seems he just ran out of ideas, or at least, fired his editor. I read the first three books (~1600 pages) in about four weeks, and it's taken me just as long to slug through the fourth book. Some think that he just isn't interested in this world anymore and may NEVER finish the series. But for what it is worth, the first three books are gold...

LOVE my Kindle too. However, if there is a book with lots of diagrams or photographs, I would still prefer an actual physical book...

What? Dance with Dragons got the best reviews of any book in the series. It is widely considered the best book of the series.

They seem to realize that the creative process takes time and when another one is ready another one will come out.

I think people learned patience with that series, but that all started in a different time. BTW, those books are done.

There are so many great books out there I never know where to start when recommending one. I'll just throw out my favorite of all time, Ender's Game. It's impossible for me to tell at this point whether this book is really as great as I think it is or if it has more to do with it being a favorite from my childhood, but I re-read it about every two years and love it every time.

AJ, knowing your taste in movies, I think you would love it. It's one of those books you won't put down and is an easy read. Great book to get you started into reading again before jumping into bigger/more complex stories.

I think people learned patience with that series, but that all started in a different time. BTW, those books are done.

There are so many great books out there I never know where to start when recommending one. I'll just throw out my favorite of all time, Ender's Game. It's impossible for me to tell at this point whether this book is really as great as I think it is or if it has more to do with it being a favorite from my childhood, but I re-read it about every two years and love it every time.

AJ, knowing your taste in movies, I think you would love it. It's one of those books you won't put down and is an easy read. Great book to get you started into reading again before jumping into bigger/more complex stories.

Am I the only person in the reading public that thought Ender's Game was mediocre at best? And that's before I found out that Orson Scott Card is a raving lunatic.

Am I the only person in the reading public that thought Ender's Game was mediocre at best? And that's before I found out that Orson Scott Card is a raving lunatic.

Maybe. As I said, I wouldn't even trust myself to judge it. I first read that book at age 11 and I it was the greatest book I'd ever read. I do still love reading it, but I admit most of that could be nostalgia.

And yes, OSC does seem to be off, and I've found most of his other books very dry. But I can't imagine I'll ever read another book that I would be able to read something like 20 times and still look forward to.

He only has two more to go. I want the books just as much as anyone else, but I'd rather he take his time and get it right than rush it out to appease impatient people. I've been reading this series since the late 90s. You have to learn patience.

To me it isn't as much about patience as life expectancy.... of the author or myself.

If another Dark Tower like series started tomorrow, and took as long to complete, I could very well not be alive to see it finished. :devil:

I read a lot but I hesitated for a while to jump on the Kindle bandwagon thinking I would miss the feel of a book. I broke down and bought one earlier this year and I love it. I still have a lot of real books in my collection to read so I have been switching back and forth but it seems like I read a lot faster on my Kindle.

It is hard for me to pick a favorite author because I have enjoyed so many and like music it depends on my mood.

Favorite book though has to be The Stand by Stephen King.

Couldnt agree more. The movie is one of my all time favorites

To me a good example is the Dark Tower series. That series has been spread out over 30 years, yet people don't seem to be in a rush for Stephen King to get the next book out. They seem to realize that the creative process takes time and when another one is ready another one will come out.

Agree. Just want to point out The Dark Tower series is over.

In the light reading context that people are talking about, I nominate Dan Simmons's Hyperion series. Well-imagined science fiction universe.

A touch less light but still a good time are Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey Marturin books, the first of which served as the basis for the Russell Crowe movie Master and Commander, of the same name. I read a couple of those a Summer--love them for beach reading.

Other thoughts in this vein of light but interesting: Sherlock Holmes stories(free on Kindle). I throw down one of those whenever I need a break.

Edited by Peace

No idea that Card was a lunatic. Ender's Game didn't do it for me but I liked some of the follow-ups in that series.

Really, aren't all Sci Fi/Fantasy writers a bit off? As a kid, I read Xanth books (could not in any way recommend those to anyone over 13). Recently was talking about those books with someone and it turns out that Piers Anthony is still writing them. I went to his personal website and found that he also writes fantasy-set erotica. "Ooh Mr. Unicorn, what a big horn you have."

The Dark Tower story was wrapped up in book 7 back in 2004 however there is another volume by King coming out next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower:_The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole

I stand corrected. Interesting.

lol, yep, I saw "sci-fi" and "aliens" in the Amazon description, and I immediately knew you were spot on with your suggestion :thumbsup: I added to my wish list...glad to see it's also available on Kindle in case I get one of those before I have a chance to read the physical book

No problem! Based on what you said, you'll love Keller. If you're a big podcast guy, his historical sermons are free on itunes (he's the preacher at Redeemer Presbyterian in NYC). I'd also recommend the podcast from a church I used to go to in Ohio-- Vineyard Columbus. Their senior pastor has the same reasoned approach (he used to be a lawyer).

Geesh, iTunes has EVERYTHING man! lol I just got some new headphones for my iPod, so this sounds like the perfect download. I just better be careful about listenign to it before I go to bed, cause I'll start gettign all caught up in my thoughts that I'll never get any sleep! lol

I know a few others would would probably love this guy, so I'll pass along your suggestion to them, as well. :thumbsup:

I was reading through some of the comments under one of Keller's books on Amazon, and someone said he didn't like it because "reason and faith are mutually exclusive". I could NOT disagree more, so I commented in return. This was one of the very few negative reviews of the book (most of them were resoundingly positive), but seems to me this guy completely missed the point entirely.

LOL, even better!

It's really interesting to me how many of you guys are citing the works of S.King. The last King book that I read was "Eyes of the Dragon" back in the 80s...looks like I've missed out on a LOT of his stuff over the past twenty years, though!

I just read the description for a book he has coming out in November called 11/22/63 where the protagonist goes back in time to try and stop the Kennedy assassination...count me in for that one!!

Agree. Just want to point out The Dark Tower series is over.

I get that. My point was that it took 22 years to finish it. As Metal Man points out there's supposed to be another volume coming out. I don't know anything about the series so I can't tell whether that should be counted in the time frame of the series or not. ASOIF is at 15 and only has two more books to go.

Edited by Dr. Fong

NO WAY in hell he gets it all done in two more books. He's already expanded that from three to five to seven. I believe he's just bored with the story.

Although, as someone pointed out above, the sucess of the TV series may hasten the writing up a bit. The guy needs an editor. Dance with Dragons was about three hundered pages of "and so and so from here had on this, they sat down and ate this" and on...

Edited by TheMadCap

NO WAY in hell he gets it all done in two more books. He's already expanded that from three to five to seven. I believe he's just bored with the story.

Although, as someone pointed out above, the sucess of the TV series may hasten the writing up a bit. The guy needs an editor. Dance with Dragons was about three hundered pages of "and so and so from here had on this, they sat down and ate this" and on...

She of dragons will take the throne in two books and end it. That won't take more than 1600 pages..

No idea that Card was a lunatic. Ender's Game didn't do it for me but I liked some of the follow-ups in that series.

I'm currently reading the parallel series he wrote where the protagonist is Ender's right-hand man, Bean. Not world beaters, but probably the equal of the Ender series; solid prose with some cool ideas tossed in.

In the light reading context that people are talking about, I nominate Dan Simmons's Hyperion series. Well-imagined science fiction universe.

Yeah, that was also a solid read. But if I'm suggesting a Dan Simmons book, I'd go with the Ilium/Olympos duo. Not as light as Hyperion but it's wonderfully unique and fantastically written.

Since we're getting geeky with it, I'll throw out Allen Steele's Coyote series. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

I love to read. For some odd reason, however, I don't often make the time to do it. When I do, and when I have some material I'm really interested in, I really enjoy it.

I've been close to buying one of those Kindle things for quite some time, and it just got me to thinking that I need to get back to reading more often. I used to always read an hour before I would go to sleep at night, and I think I'm going to adopt that routine once again. In terms of fiction, I love courtroom drama/legal thrillers. I've read everything Grisham has to offer, I've dabbled in some of John LesCroartes works, and have recently discovered an author I really like named Scott Pratt. My preference is often non-fiction, though. I loved the book about the Harvard students that the film "21" was based on (I can never remember the name of the book or the author...), and I have read several books by some of my favorite athletes and pro wrestlers (I know, pro wrestling...but honestly, some of them are great reads about the business and lifestyle!). My favorite author is C.S. Lewis...have read just about everything he has out, with "A Grief Observed" being my favorite book of all time.

I was curious who the biggest social readers are here at TBD and if any of you guys and gals have suggestions to share. If any of you have a Kindle, I'd really be interested to hear whether you're happy with the purchase, too.

If you've read A grief observed then certainly you've read The Problem of Pain.That may have been my fave CS Lewis writing.

James Lee Burke writes formidable,deep books that really are a spiritual experience.Stuart Kaminsky has several excellent series.Archer Mayor is a terrific writer although not as well known as the 2 I mentioned.

I'm currently reading the parallel series he wrote where the protagonist is Ender's right-hand man, Bean. Not world beaters, but probably the equal of the Ender series; solid prose with some cool ideas tossed in.

Yeah, that was also a solid read. But if I'm suggesting a Dan Simmons book, I'd go with the Ilium/Olympos duo. Not as light as Hyperion but it's wonderfully unique and fantastically written.

Since we're getting geeky with it, I'll throw out Allen Steele's Coyote series. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

aaah a Dan Simmons mention. Excellent writer in his various series.

She of dragons will take the throne in two books and end it. That won't take more than 1600 pages..

Ain't gonna happen my friend. The imp spent an entire book (two if you count the previous where he ins't even a POV) mearly TRAVELING to the east to find the Mother of Dragons. I have ZERO faith in this author finishing this series in his lifetime...

I like Abraham Verghese's novel, Cutting for Stone. I know the author and think he is one of the better writers in the country right now. I read Dr. Mukherjee's The Emperor of All Maladies, the Biography of Cancer. A non-medical book I liked was Unbroken.

Favorite modern novelist is probably John Irving.