Will Spiller fall below the Maybin line?

CSBill

None of us what to say it out loud, but is CJ Spiller heading in the same direction as Aaron Maybin?

So far, very little production. And in my understanding of the way things work, running back may be the easiest way to have immediate impact in the NFL. It's not really a development position, you either have it or you don't. I would contend that any RB taken in the top ten, better be at an All-Pro level very early in their careers.

If Spiller has another year like last year, I would say he is a worse pick than Maybin; drafted higher, at a position where success should come sooner than later, etc.

I hope he doesn't, I would love to see him succeed, but a number 9 pick has to be more than just an average player; and at this point, Spiller is not even average.

Edited by CSBill

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't even compare the two - CJ hasn't done much, but his "not much" is light years ahead of Maybin!! Both were arguably not good picks, but Mayin pick was much worse. I predict CJ does substantially better this year, but not necessarily some sort of breakout season.

None of us what to say it out load, but is CJ Spiller heading in the same direction as Arron Maybin?

So far, very little production. And in my understanding of the way things work, running buck may be the easiest way to have immediate impact in the NFL. It's not really a development position, you either have it or you don't. I would contend that any RB taken in the top ten, better be at an All-Pro level very early in their careers.

If Spiller has another year like last year, I would say he is a worse pick than Maybin; drafted higher, at a position where success should come sooner than later, etc.

I hope he doesn't, I would love to see him succeed, but a number 9 pick has to be more than just an average player; and at this point, Spiller is not even average.

With 440 total yards and 1 td on offense and over 1000 returning yards with a td in the kick game, he is already way ahead of where Maybin has ever been.

Look at what Spiller's teammates say about him versus Maybin. It's not even close.

Spiller is getting accolates from his teammates. Maybin was dissed instantly, getting called out on his play and work ethic.

CJ is going to be a stud. I just wish we had guys in front so he doesn't always get blown up in the backfield.

None of us what to say it out load, but is CJ Spiller heading in the same direction as Arron Maybin?

So far, very little production. And in my understanding of the way things work, running buck may be the easiest way to have immediate impact in the NFL. It's not really a development position, you either have it or you don't. I would contend that any RB taken in the top ten, better be at an All-Pro level very early in their careers.

Still too early though he didn't live up to top ten status last year. Those folks (save quarterbacks) should contribute right away and in a big way.

As far as the comparison to Maybin, it's already over. Maybin did nothing...zero...zilch while he was here. Spiller contributed a few hundred yards rushing last year and had a 95 yard return for a TD. Those stats dwarf Maybin's 'contribution.' Hence... Game, set and match Spiller.

Obviously, Spiller's effort last year was nothing to get excited about. It just shows what an utter bust Maybin is. I expect a solid contribution/improvement from Spiller this year but given he will share the load with Fred he will not dominate statistically. It's hard to tell if he will ever 'live up' to that number nine pick. I'm hoping he runs well between the tackles, hits a few 'home runs' and shows he can pick up the blitz this year. It would give me hope for him going forward as a feature back. Otherwise, he will always be in that 'third down back' role.

IMO spillers lack of contribution is what's missing from this offense. He was supposed to be a triple threat running, and receiving from the backfield, and lining up as a wr in many formations. This would have given them the element they need to keep the defense guessing, occupy one or more guys spying on him and thereby opening up opportunities for the rest of the offense. Not only is he not doing this but he's not showing any real signs he will be able to. When he comes on the field defense is barely noticing him and seeing no need to slant their defense towards stopping him.

Wow. Seriously, CJ has actually done some positive things. Maybin did squat. The comparison is wildly off the mark.

Will anyone actually give the kid a chance to learn the pro game like blocking and waiting for holes?

Buffalo fans are ridiculous. We actually think he is a bust because he can't unseat everybody's star pet RB Fred Jackson? COME ON!

I think it's silly to say all styles of runner face an easy transition. I think spiller is from the mold that struggle most early. Has to learn pass blocking, can't just rely on speed so he has to re-learn reading blocks. A 4.5 between the tackles mark Ingram runner will still be doing the same thing at this level, a 4.3 small outside runner will not. You see this transition oftenfrom smaller speed backs.

IMO spillers lack of contribution is what's missing from this offense. He was supposed to be a triple threat running, and receiving from the backfield, and lining up as a wr in many formations. This would have given them the element they need to keep the defense guessing, occupy one or more guys spying on him and thereby opening up opportunities for the rest of the offense. Not only is he not doing this but he's not showing any real signs he will be able to. When he comes on the field defense is barely noticing him and seeing no need to slant their defense towards stopping him.

I agree with the main point of your post; which is that Spiller's contributions thus far have been underwhelming. Obviously he has a very long way to go before he even begins to justify his top-10 draft status. Hopefully he makes good progress this season.

But IMO, there's a lot more wrong with this offense than Spiller's contribution, or lack thereof. You have to look at Fitz's lack of consistent accuracy, the OL's problems with blocking, and dropped passes by WRs. If the Bills had a franchise QB, a LT who could block a DE without help from his TE, a good TE, and a solid, reliable receiving corps, the offense would do just fine, either with or without a water bug. The offense already has a good RB in the form of an underrated Fred Jackson. Then, if Spiller were to become the Thurman Thomas-like player the Bills were obviously hoping for when they drafted him, he would enhance an offense which was already successful.

I think you could take Earthquake Enyart--right here and now at age(67?)--stretch him out a bit,get him on the treadmill for a few weeks--and he could -at RB-outdo what Maybin did at DE.

I think the talk of Spiller being a bust is ridiculous. He has 74 carries for 283 yards and a 3.8 yard average. 25 catches for 157 yards and a 6.5 yard average.

Could he have been more productive? Yes. Did he have a "great" year last year? No.

To call him a bust just doesn't make sense to me. 3.8 yards is not terrible, it is average. I don't think you can call him a bust because he got 99 touches his first year and averaged 4.45 yards on each touch. That can by all means get better but that certainly wouldn't put him at Maybin status. Come on!

I agree with the main point of your post; which is that Spiller's contributions thus far have been underwhelming. Obviously he has a very long way to go before he even begins to justify his top-10 draft status. Hopefully he makes good progress this season.

But IMO, there's a lot more wrong with this offense than Spiller's contribution, or lack thereof. You have to look at Fitz's lack of consistent accuracy, the OL's problems with blocking, and dropped passes by WRs. If the Bills had a franchise QB, a LT who could block a DE without help from his TE, a good TE, and a solid, reliable receiving corps, the offense would do just fine, either with or without a water bug. The offense already has a good RB in the form of an underrated Fred Jackson. Then, if Spiller were to become the Thurman Thomas-like player the Bills were obviously hoping for when they drafted him, he would enhance an offense which was already successful.

I hear you, there are other issues. But even if we were stronger at QB and LT the O would still lack identity. (Unless the new QB were an off the charts guy like Rodgers.) IMO they were viewing Spiller as the guy who would give Bills O an identity, like Tomlinson did with Bolts. Identity is what takes you from being a pretender to a contender. I don't see how anyone at this point can project Spiller into a central, defining role.