Interesting fact that sheds a lot of light on Bills

Alphadawg7

First, Pat Moran is still a complete jackass, but I did notice his latest tweet and it says a lot about why we have not been relevant in a very long time...

Per Morans tweet: "Chris Johnson's average NFL salary is more than doubled the Bills starting QB, RB, #1 WR and LT combined"

That is so very very sad and a window into why we have sucked for so long. Our 4 most important skill players on the offense (and a couple of the most important positions on any football team in general) combined earn less than HALF of what the best player of one position does on the Titans. This says more about us than it does about his contract.

This is what happens when your front office consistently tries to get by with mediocre talent at key positions like QB and LT.

PS: No, this is NOT a Ralph is cheap thread as I have never really been in that pool and still am not. Its more about how we can spend big money on so so players like Kelsay (and now maybe Parrish) and neglect to upgrade the most important areas like OL and QB. I dont blame Nix for this as they only had 2 drafts to try and fix this team and it needed a lot of fixing. They did a good job addressing needs on the D this year, so I hold out hope they can do the same with the O next year and get some OL help and a QB if Fitz doesnt improve on last year.

Edited by Alphadawg7

First, Pat Moran is still a complete jackass, but I did notice his latest tweet and it says a lot about why we have not been relevant in a very long time...

Per Morans tweet: "Chris Johnson's average NFL salary is more than doubled the Bills starting QB, RB, #1 WR and LT combined"

That is so very very sad and a window into why we have sucked for so long. Our 4 most important skill players on the offense (and a couple of the most important positions on any football team in general) combined earn less than HALF of what the best player of one position does on the Titans. This says more about us than it does about his contract.

This is what happens when your front office consistently tries to get by with mediocre talent at key positions like QB and LT.

PS: No, this is NOT a Ralph is cheap thread as I have never really been in that pool and still am not. Its more about how we can spend big money on so so players like Kelsay (and now maybe Parrish) and neglect to upgrade the most important areas like OL and QB. I dont blame Nix for this as they only had 2 drafts to try and fix this team and it needed a lot of fixing. They did a good job addressing needs on the D this year, so I hold out hope they can do the same with the O next year and get some OL help and a QB if Fitz doesnt improve on last year.

I have only one question: Why on earth would you be following this guy's tweets? :blink:

thats really not a fair comparrison to make, because Johnson is getting paid as one of the top players in the league.

At one point a couple of years ago, the Bills had some of the highest paid o-linemen in the league, and they still sucked (Dockery and Walker)

How is it not a fair comparison? He makes DOUBLE what our 4 most important offensive players make combined.

And I hear what you are saying about the OL, but it was so highly paid because Hutchinson set the market with a then record deal and we were forced to way over pay for mediocre talent. We never go after the real talent, just over pay for the next lower tier.

I have only one question: Why on earth would you be following this guy's tweets? :blink:

I dont, in fact I dont even use Twitter. I just went on to show my friend the story about Merriman as he is a big fan of his (he is a Chargers fan) and had not heard the story. Thats when we saw the latest tweet...

Edited by Alphadawg7

thats really not a fair comparrison to make, because Johnson is getting paid as one of the top players in the league.

At one point a couple of years ago, the Bills had some of the highest paid o-linemen in the league, and they still sucked (Dockery and Walker)

its certainly fair. Dockery and Walker were paid gobs of money while no one else would even come close to paying that much.

The bills have repeatedly let superior talent walk for far less than Johnson money.

The point remains that the Bills cannot be expected to compete on a regular basis with cheap talent. You think its a coincidence that our QB RB and WR are 7th rounders and an undrafted. I ask you to find another team now or even in the past five years that has had that backfield.

Dockery and Walker were not "some of the highest paid linemen in the league" they were large contracts due to term, but not what you are indicating.

I'm of the complete opposite mind. I'm glad we have all those players for the price of one. CJ goes down and how F'ed are they? Very. I think the idea of paying ANY running back that kind of money is ludicrous and I'd be pissed if I were a Titans fan. Pay big money to your blockers. Make sure they are elite. They will make average running backs highly productive, and you can spread the money and injury risk out to multiple players. This is team management wisdom. Paying a few players gigantic salaries is a high-risk recipe for failure.

There's a certain team in our division that would agree with this. Even their ONE exception, their QB, has won more SBs that any active QB and yet he's not close to the top earner at his position. And after him, they are willing to pay blockers elite salaries but no other skill positions. (Mankins makes more money than any RB ever will on their team).

Dockery and Walker were not "some of the highest paid linemen in the league" they were large contracts due to term, but not what you are indicating.

Considering that Dockery signed what was then the third largest contract in history for his position and that contract included an $18m bonus, he very much was among the highest paid in the league regardless of the length of contract. No, he didn't come close to receiving the entire amount but no player does. It's the bonuses that matter and his was among the highest.

GO BILLS!!!

its certainly fair. Dockery and Walker were paid gobs of money while no one else would even come close to paying that much.

The bills have repeatedly let superior talent walk for far less than Johnson money.

The point remains that the Bills cannot be expected to compete on a regular basis with cheap talent. You think its a coincidence that our QB RB and WR are 7th rounders and an undrafted. I ask you to find another team now or even in the past five years that has had that backfield.

I agree the statement that the Bills let good players walk. You are absolutely correct about the starting RB, QB and WR being 7th rounders and undrafted. I also don't think those 3 players are the problem with this team. I think they all perform well and while they can be upgraded they're the least of the Bills issues.

I don't think its a money thing. The Bills go after free agents every year, but I truly believe that top free agents, coaches and other talent are understandably leery of the Bills until long term ownership is in place. Ralph dies, new owner, complete housecleaning, rebuild.. etc etc ... if you are a top player in your 5 year looking at a new, big contract, and the money is equal (which is always is), you would pick the Bills to spend the prime of your career?? don't think so... sucks, but the reality is what it is....

I get what you're trying to say.. but that contract is ridiculous. What Superbowl winning team in the last 5 years had a running back making top money like that? You'd have to go back to either Corey Dillon or Marshall Faulk, depending on how you look at those two guys.

I agree what you're saying about our QB/LT but we just happen to have a QB at a discount right now. Fitz is underpaid as it is. The left tackle argument is the only one that really holds any water.

OK, but to balance that out a bit, the Bills have had 1st round draft choices at ALL of those positions within the last five years.

Problem with this team is drafting more than anything else.

GO BILLS!!!

The title of the thread should be "Meaningless that has nothing to do with the Bills".

So does paying a RB over $13M a year make the Titans a contender? Tampa Bay pays even less than Buffalo and is a contender. What is Pat's point?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

OK, but to balance that out a bit, the Bills have had 1st round draft choices at ALL of those positions within the last five years.

Problem with this team is drafting more than anything else.

GO BILLS!!!

Sorry K-9, dont know where you got your facts from, but thats even close to what we have done in the last 5 years. We have not drafted all those positions in the first round the last 5 years. Last 1st round QB was Losman in 2004...Last 1st round OT was Williams in 2002...Last 1st round WR was Evans in 2004. The only position we took in the first round the last 5 years was a RB (Spiller) with Lynch and McGahee in the past 8 years.

That is my point...if you notice, I said in my OP that this is not a "Ralph is cheap" thread as I am not in that camp and never really have been. This is more about the ineptness of this teams overall ability to make good football decisions. As another poster pointed out, try and find another team, especially a good team, where their #1 WR, #1 RB, QB, and LT are all 7th rounders or UDFA's. Our draft history is very poor with hardly any of them panning out, and the ones that do we dont retain.

This is not a situation where one player makes more than 4 key ones combined...he makes DOUBLE what our four most important offensive players make combined, and his contract is not that big, almost the same as DeAngelo's. Its not like he got $100 million or something.

The title of the thread should be "Meaningless that has nothing to do with the Bills".

PTR

LOL...I love that its so meaningless yet you felt you needed to commit the time to post a worthless comment...nice job :thumbsup:

Edited by Alphadawg7

Sorry K-9, dont know where you got your facts from, but thats even close to what we have done in the last 5 years. We have not drafted all those positions in the first round the last 5 years. Last 1st round QB was Losman 11 years ago...Last 1st round OT was Williams was 12 years ago...Last 1st round WR was Evans 9 years ago. The only position we took in the first round the last 5 years was a RB (Spiller). We did however take 2 other first round RB's in the last 11 years (McGahee 11 years ago and Lynch 6 years ago).

This is not a situation where one player makes more than 4 key ones combined...he makes DOUBLE what our four most important offensive players make combined, and his contract is not that big, almost the same as DeAngelo's. Its not like he got $100 million or something.

Losman 11 years ago? He was drafted in '04. As was evans. Dont know where you pulled those numbers from..

DeAngelo Williams contract was ridiculous too.. I dont know why anyone would pay a RB that much

Edited by Billsrhody

Losman 11 years ago? He was drafted in '04. As was evans. Dont know where you pulled those numbers from..

Oops, my bad, over looked that in a couple years we had more than 1 first round pick when I quickly looked over the draft history...still, the point was he said last 5 years...we have not addressed QB, WR, or LT in last 5 years in the first round...

Edited by Alphadawg7

Sorry K-9, dont know where you got your facts from, but thats even close to what we have done in the last 5 years. We have not drafted all those positions in the first round the last 5 years. Last 1st round QB was Losman 11 years ago...Last 1st round OT was Williams was 12 years ago...Last 1st round WR was Evans 9 years ago. The only position we took in the first round the last 5 years was a RB (Spiller). We did however take 2 other first round RB's in the last 11 years (McGahee 11 years ago and Lynch 6 years ago).

That is my point...if you notice, I said in my OP that this is not a "Ralph is cheap" thread as I am not in that camp and never really have been. This is more about the ineptness of this teams overall ability to make good football decisions. As another poster pointed out, try and find another team, especially a good team, where their #1 WR, #1 RB, QB, and LT are all 7th rounders or UDFA's. Our draft history is very poor with hardly any of them panning out, and the ones that do we dont retain.

The poster I responded to only mentioned QB, RB, and WR. No mention of an OT in his post.

Not saying we drafted them in the last five years, either. My point was that we've had three 1st round picks at those positions (again, QB, RB, WR per the post I was responding to), all on the same team, within the last five years.

Losman was not 11 years ago, BTW.

I don't disagree that they make bad football decisions. Nor did I take your OP as a "Ralph is cheap" diatribe.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Oops, my bad, thought it was 2002...still, 9 years is a long time and not within the 5 year window that K-9 said we had taken one

(7 years) haha. I agree, the bills probably should have drafted at least a left tackle in that time, but they did have Peters for a portion of it

I'll try. Last year the Patriots' starting QB was a 6th round pick, their starting RB was an UDFA, and their best WR was also an UDFA.

It's not where you get the talent, it's the talent you get.

GO BILLS!!!

(7 years) haha. I agree, the bills probably should have drafted at least a left tackle in that time, but they did have Peters for a portion of it

Yeah, my mistake was looking at the Bills first round history I just counted down not taking into consideration that we had multiple first rounders in a couple of years (Peters trade, trading up for McCargo). I just glanced at it and only looked at the list of players and not the draft year.

The poster I responded to only mentioned QB, RB, and WR. No mention of an OT in his post.

Not saying we drafted them in the last five years, either. My point was that we've had three 1st round picks at those positions (again, QB, RB, WR per the post I was responding to), all on the same team, within the last five years.

Losman was not 11 years ago, BTW.

I don't disagree that they make bad football decisions. Nor did I take your OP as a "Ralph is cheap" diatribe.

GO BILLS!!!

Gotcha, I misunderstood what you wrote...thought you said we took one at each position the last 5 years. And yeah, I know Losman wasnt 11 years ago...like I said I made the mistake of counting draft picks not draft years when I first glanced at the list in a rush...my bad.

Lol it says Johnson is way overpaid and tities will regret that signing like skinnies did with fat Albert

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Considering that Dockery signed what was then the third largest contract in history for his position and that contract included an $18m bonus, he very much was among the highest paid in the league regardless of the length of contract. No, he didn't come close to receiving the entire amount but no player does. It's the bonuses that matter and his was among the highest.

GO BILLS!!!

His contract was 7 years, 49 million. 18 million of that was bonus. I can't seem ti find league wide salaries, but would like to know if a 7 per average puts him near the top of the league. Walker was like a 5x5 contract. Definitely not near the top.

It really doesn't say anything. Two of those guys, Bell & Johnson, are on their rookie contracts. The other two, Jackson and Fitz, were signed before they were starting. For comparisons sake Chris Johnson was scheduled to make 550k this season before the extension. Arian Foster, the league's leading rusher last season, is only making 525k this season.

Edited by Carey Bender

I'm sorry but, I don't see how any of this is a new revelation pertaining to what this team lacks. Our players have never been good enough as a team to ever win a Super Bowl. That is a fact and a million more paragraphs won't change that.

I'm pretty sure Pat Moran is not only an idiot but he can't do math either.

If I cared enough about this I would show you that (SJ13 + {Spiller or FJ} + Fitzy + Karl Malone's bastard son) X 2 > than 58/7 but again I don't really care.