Fact -bills will be a lot better then last year

mc kid 78

Forget the luck bowl,bills will have the best d in the east.Not just because we drafted marcel,its all the other guys together-barnett,merriman,moats,williams,carrington,davis,troup,batten,morrison,wilson,byrd,florence,mcgee-not all super stars,but some solid vets mixed with young up and comers. Do any of the other teams in the east have better lbs?and the offence will be better as well ,i know we lost lee but he only had 37 rep -and i dont buy this song and dance that lee was only reason that johnson ever got open. your telling me teams are not going to cover parrish or nelson if they go deep, maybe they wont draw 2 defenders but if they leave a opening fitz will put it up.It will be a turn around year-the guys on tv dont even know are roster its a joke-its just lazy reporting .They just think its a safe bet to say the bills suck.THERE WRONG!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not as optimistic as you are, though there is enough scope for some of them...

Some of the reasons why I still don't like this defense...

1. It starts from the top. I am not sold on Edwards. He is not in the same league as Belichek or Rex Ryan. He is also overmatched by the opposing OC...Plus he has to face the best OL in football and the best offensive player in football in 4 games.

2. Do we have the necessary personnel to stop the run. Last year, we were always in over pursuit and hence gave too many holes to the opponents.

3. While the LB has improved on paper, there are just too many question marks. Will Merriman play all 16 games? Will Barnett provide the leadership that we were lacking as the Center of the defense. Who will provide the pass rush from the front 3 or front 4?

4. Will Byrd adapt better this year. Last year he struggled without the support.

5. Where does McKelvin stand in this?

I am not as optimistic as you are, though there is enough scope for some of them...

Some of the reasons why I still don't like this defense...

1. It starts from the top. I am not sold on Edwards. He is not in the same league as Belichek or Rex Ryan. He is also overmatched by the opposing OC...Plus he has to face the best OL in football and the best offensive player in football in 4 games.

This would be a concern 6 months ago - today not so much. You do know they hired Dave Wanstedt as an "Assistant Head Coach" as well as ILB coach, and he will be holding Edwards' hand all season, right?

2. Do we have the necessary personnel to stop the run. Last year, we were always in over pursuit and hence gave too many holes to the opponents.

Dareus, Merriman, Bigger Carrington, Bigger Troup, Healthy Davis, Barnett, maybe Sheppard (we'll see) and a full season to get the new system down.

If you've seen the preseason games where the #1's have stuffed every opponent's run offense, you must know who they added to the roster and seen how well they're doing.

3. While the LB has improved on paper, there are just too many question marks. Will Merriman play all 16 games?

Merriman probably will not play all 16 games. He has inspired the rest of the team, and will significantly upgrade the pass rush when he's in there. To the original poster's point - every game he's in, the Bills will be a lot better because of it.

Will Barnett provide the leadership that we were lacking as the Center of the defense.

Leadership in the center of the defense was mostly Davis last year, regardless it wasn't the problem. Speed was a problem. Did you see Fred Jackson blow past Poz in coverage fior a big reception last week? THAT used to be our problem - now it's Jacksonville's problem. Barnett can cover - that's why he's on the team.

Who will provide the pass rush from the front 3 or front 4?

First off, when it's a 3-4, most of the pass rush is coming from the OLB's - that's where Merriman and Batten come in.

As far as the actual DL though, Williams who already did provide plenty from his spot. Dareus has already shown he can. Carrington if he plays DE looks good 20+ pounds bigger, and Spencer Johnson has been a beast.

4. Will Byrd adapt better this year. Last year he struggled without the support.

Better run defense and pass rush will make his job much easier.

5. Where does McKelvin stand in this?

In the defensive backfield. What does McKelvin have to do with them being better? Do you think a 3rd year #2 CB got worse this off season? McKelvin/Florence/McGee + Williams is a pretty nice set of CB's most teams would be jealous of. With the massive improvements in the front 7 the DB's will look great.

Fact. We all thought the same thing last year too.

I'm going to wait until we win some games before I start saying we are better or worse. :)

I thought they'd stay about the same, and offered the caveat that the adjustment to the 3-4 might be an issue.

As it turns out they started off horribly, but as they adjusted to the system and the personnel they had, they finished at about the saem level they had been. 7-9 7-9 6-10 then 4-12 with three O/T losses to playoff teams isn't a dropoff.

The improvement of the LB's has been massive. That plus Dareus plus a year of physical development for last year's 2nd and 3rd round picks (Carrington/Troup( mean the defense got a lot better and it's totally obvious to anyone watching the last three weeks.

<WARNING!> Grammer Polise

Love you're enthusiasm, Happy Meal Kid! -but stay in skool

1.) Their our know Facts about the future -accept death

2.) Names our spelt with capitol ledders

3.) You're spelling implies your younger THEN yore actual grade

3.) I agree, there thinking is way out they're.

Their eye go again..

thought they'd stay about the same, and offered the caveat that the adjustment to the 3-4 might be an issue.

As it turns out they started off horribly, but as they adjusted to the system and the personnel they had, they finished at about the saem level they had been. 7-9 7-9 6-10 then 4-12 with three O/T losses to playoff teams isn't a dropoff.

The improvement of the LB's has been massive. That plus Dareus plus a year of physical development for last year's 2nd and 3rd round picks (Carrington/Troup( mean the defense got a lot better and it's totally obvious to anyone watching the last three weeks.

If you're going to play the "lets count losses as wins game", then in the 2009 season, we should have added 3 wins from close/last second losses. So I guess 2009 is 9-7, and 2010 is 7-9 by your logic... I'd call that getting worse.

I'm going to wait until we win some games before I start saying we are better or worse. :)

I thought they'd stay about the same, and offered the caveat that the adjustment to the 3-4 might be an issue.

Forget the luck bowl,bills will have the best d in the east.Not just because we drafted marcel,its all the other guys together-barnett,merriman,moats,williams,carrington,davis,troup,batten,morrison,wilson,byrd,florence,mcgee-not all super stars,but some solid vets mixed with young up and comers. Do any of the other teams in the east have better lbs?and the offence will be better as well ,i know we lost lee but he only had 37 rep -and i dont buy this song and dance that lee was only reason that johnson ever got open. your telling me teams are not going to cover parrish or nelson if they go deep, maybe they wont draw 2 defenders but if they leave a opening fitz will put it up.It will be a turn around year-the guys on tv dont even know are roster its a joke-its just lazy reporting .They just think its a safe bet to say the bills suck.THERE WRONG!

are you drinking my koolaid ?

fact is a sure thing, the Bills are not.

No its not totally obvious to anyone watching the past three weeks. They have no looked remarkably better, especially considering there has been virtually no gameplanning.

THe LBs are better than last year, but still not good. Barnett is solid and Merriman needs to stay healthy then you have who exactly? ?

As it turns out they started off horribly, but as they adjusted to the system and the personnel they had, they finished at about the same level they had been. 7-9 7-9 6-10 then 4-12 with three O/T losses to playoff teams isn't a dropoff.

The improvement of the LB's has been massive. That plus Dareus plus a year of physical development for last year's 2nd and 3rd round picks (Carrington/Troup) mean the defense got a lot better and it's totally obvious to anyone watching the last three weeks.

Edited by BobChalmers