If Peters is so big and fast...

agilen

I read an article somewhere yesterday saying they didn't really know what position Jason Peters should be playing. He certainly has the size to play DE, why not try him there to generate a speed rush? Maybe only play him there on certain passing downs...but it seems to me like a possible fit.

I read an article somewhere yesterday saying they didn't really know what position Jason Peters should be playing.  He certainly has the size to play DE, why not try him there to generate a speed rush?  Maybe only play him there on certain passing downs...but it seems to me like a possible fit.

168881[/snapback]

Get Bledsoe out of there and let him take some snaps. He could just will himself forward, 5 yards a play.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*
I read an article somewhere yesterday saying they didn't really know what position Jason Peters should be playing.  He certainly has the size to play DE, why not try him there to generate a speed rush?  Maybe only play him there on certain passing downs...but it seems to me like a possible fit.

168881[/snapback]

I agree. I just said the same thing in another thread. It would be interesting to see what he could do there next pre season.

Get Bledsoe out of there and let him take some snaps. He could just will himself forward, 5 yards a play.

168889[/snapback]

Do you have a problem with Bledsoe? He played a good smart ballgame, making the big plays when he needed to, on a day when we had no running game. What's the beef here????

168881[/snapback]

Good idea, let's see what he can do. :D

He certainly looks the part on ST's

168881[/snapback]

I think we will find during the off-season when the coaches can take a good long look at him and work with him that Peters is going to be tried out in multiple roles. However, at this point in the season while Peters can be moved around strategically on individual plays where co-ordination with his teammates is less of an issue Peters can go there an excel as he did on Sunday. Apparently he lined up to rush the punter on the scout team and our long snappers like Dorenbos and Banta could not handle him on an inside rush.

However, there is a big difference between this duty where he was the gamebreaker on Sunday where you essentially wind him up and say go block the kick and DE duty where he has run stopping responsibility as well as a mission to sack the passer and given the zone blitz we use where the DE has pass coverage responsibility to free an LB to blitz.

I think there is no way that Peters does consistent (if any duty) as a DE this year and even with an off-season of work this would be similar to our failed attempt to have Wire play safety for us because he had the demographics and had excelled at tackling in college but never played safety before at any level of organized ball.

Peters starred in college as a TE. He has been slotted in as a tackle because his raw talent could not be denied, and it is TE blocking where he needs the most work anyway because he has incredible speed for his size and very soft hands. Putting him in at DE consistently simply removes the offensive threat his pass catching provides so I'd be reluctant to do this as well as the co-ordination issues.

Mental co-ordination is actually probably the big issue for Peters who apparently is a physical specimen but is at least an enchilda short of a combination platter on the mental side of the game. There is alot going on and everybody (particularly rookies) make mistakes. but his failure to effectively annouce to the refs that he was in as a TE despite having a tackle's number cost us in an earlier game and may be a sign of this lacking.

Fitting Peters in at DE this late in the season makes little sense to me (if you're going to experiement the SF game rather than the Pitts game seems to be the place to do it) and I think his pass catching skills, speed and hands are better used by installing him as a wedge buster and inside rusher on ST while we ake what may end up being a couple of years to teach him the TE game.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

FFS,

Did anyone say to put him at d-end this year ? We are talking about looking at him there during nest seasons camp.

As for his " mental co-ordination " it takes a lot less to play d-end than o-tackle.

Also do you have a cliff note version for these posts ?

FFS,

Did anyone say to put him at d-end this year ? We are talking about looking at him there during nest seasons camp.

As for his " mental co-ordination " it takes a lot less to play d-end than o-tackle.

Also do you have a cliff note version for these posts ?

168971[/snapback]

Your post is the second one with this suggestion I responded to and perhaps it was the first which seemed to put the idea forth as a solution to problems right now. I don't say this shouldn't be considered but it seems quite unlikely that this will plan out as a use for Peters, even if it did pan out would happen anytime soon, and would actually be passing by his potential as a receiver at TE where even if the Bills need help on the pass rush they could use a Ben Coates like anyone else could.

I think all NFL positions need a lot of mental co-ordination in a league that has become too systematized for my tastes. This is true for the productive DL player as well as for the productive OL player. Peters has already shown that he is not the smartest bulb in the pack (fortunately being great in the NFL ain't brain surgery just look at Jim Kelly) but switching to D from O will be an even bigger jump for him than switching from one O position to another.

I do try to cliffnote as folks have requested this and wil continue to try to take the time to do this on occaision, but as you can see there are no guranteed from this enfeebled mind.

168881[/snapback]

Peters began his collegiate career as a backup DE/DT but was converted to TE mid way through the 2001 season. I stated before the season, the biggest problem for Peters is the guy has no true position to play. Of course if he continues to make plays like he did Sunday he might just end up another career special teamer ala Mark Pike.

Here's a link to an early Peters' bio to learn a little more about his ability as a d-lineman.

Is it me or does Neufeld seem to drop absolutely everything thrown his way???

I say give Peter's a shot at TE.

It's just you. He caught two in the Miami game a couple weeks ago. He was thrown the ball once against Cleveland and it was a really bad pass - totally uncatchable. The pass yesterday he should have caught - no excuse.

But no, he does not drop everything thrown his way. And I should remind you that Peters missed one against Cleveland that he should have had.

Didn't Willis drop one yesterday? Why don't we bench him and give S. Williams a shot? Sounds ludicrous, doesn't it?

Peters began his collegiate career as a backup DE/DT but was converted to TE mid way through the 2001 season. I stated before the season, the biggest problem for Peters is the guy has no true position to play. Of course if he continues to make plays like he did Sunday he might just end up another career special teamer ala Mark Pike.

Here's a link to an early Peters' bio to learn a little more about his ability as a d-lineman.

169460[/snapback]

Wow, this tells me a few things....

INSIDE INFORMATION: He came to Arkansas “because I like it.” Something you may not know is “I play golf.” A good deed or off-the-field accomplishment he is proud of is “I play golf.” His favorite part of being a Razorback is “playing football.” Within the next 10 years, he sees himself “coaching.” The person who has been his biggest inspiration is “my mom.” In three words or less, he describes himself as “wild.”

168881[/snapback]

We need a threat at TE who has speed. We don't need a pass rusher at this time. Just take a look at our red zone offense. Compare that to when Campbell was healthy. Voila!