question for eyeglass wearers...

DreReed83

I'm planning on getting eyeglass frames for a present but don't want to get prescription lenses yet. Is there a way for me to get just the frames with plain glass lenses in them? I'm going to let him buy the prescription lenses yet.

sure. go to framesdirect.com and buy away. I just did that this week. Go to retailmenot.com and get a $20 coupon to apply to your order. They'll come with plain plastic lenses in them and everything the optician needs to cut the lenses for that frame.

Yea he tried them on and I know what he wants as for the frame. Don't know about the lens though. Thanks for the advice.

the other thought--you might be overpaying if you just get the frames. Some places offer good deals on the frame/lens combo, but if you buy separately, the frames are really pricey.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up Arbor. Also, when you get just the frames, does it come with something inside? Does it come with plastic lens, glass lens or does it come with no lenses? And how hard is it to change lenses yourself?

Okay... Now you are just getting strange... ;):P I have been wearing glasses my whole life and never needed to "change lens out"... I suppose It would be easy to take them out... But unless you have two of the EXACT identical frames, how is changing lens practical for the average consumer? They are cut for the specific frame, right??? Obvioulsy many things can be done... Like how the Lion's Club collects old glasses for them to be recycled... Yet... Why would a consumer want to change lens yourself? Is there an advantage? Cheaper to just get two pair or whatever (go to America's Best, Four Eyes, etc...). But, to answer your question directly: Probably not hard (changing lens) at all if you have the lens cut to the proper shape. I have repaired many glasses through the years (as quick fixes). Remember the old 1/2 frames with thin line holding the bottom 1/2 of the lens onto the frame? Monofilament fishing line works for those... No need to pull out the "nerd tape!"

If you don't know what "nerd tape" is

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up Arbor. Also, when you get just the frames, does it come with something inside? Does it come with plastic lens, glass lens or does it come with no lenses? And how hard is it to change lenses yourself?

I would just arrange to have the frames purchased from the optician for your friend. Anything else and you're asking for some hassle.

Edited by Captain Caveman