Who do you pick as next owner of the Bills and why?

Here's a chart from Forbes magazine. For each of 15 people, it shows their net worth, age, residence and the source of their money. All but one are billionaires, so each of them ought to be able to come up with at least enough cash to become the minimum 30% leader of any NFL ownership group.

Whether you think highly or poorly of Ralph Wilson, he's about 92 years old, and won't be around forever. Which of these 15 people would you most like to see as the next owner of the Buffalo Bills, and why?

My personal choice would be Mr. Howell (#9 on the list). He's not the richest, but he lives a long way from Buffalo, and might meddle less with how his football men run the operation. But reasonable people could differ about this. If Ralph walked up to you and said - - "I'm gonna put the future of the Buffalo Bills in your hands and let you pick the next owner of the team from this list" - - who would you choose?

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/fictional/Worth.html

And before you flame me, there's nobody from Toronto on the list!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It pains me, but this post could fill up with..."Bills next owner moving them to L.A. or Canada" talk real soon!

I'd like to see it be run by a group of owners, rather than a one man show...

I'd love to see a group of owners who are prominent business guys with WNY ties....Like the Rich family, Pegula, Golisano...etc...etc...even having the Rogers family involved would'nt hurt-- where each would own an equal share of the team with the lone goal of winning a championship!

However, in honor of The Rolling Stones...You Can't Always Get What You Want!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Here's a chart from Forbes magazine. For each of 15 people, it shows their net worth, age, residence and the source of their money. All but one are billionaires, so each of them ought to be able to come up with at least enough cash to become the minimum 30% leader of any NFL ownership group.

Whether you think highly or poorly of Ralph Wilson, he's about 92 years old, and won't be around forever. Which of these 15 people would you most like to see as the next owner of the Buffalo Bills, and why?

My personal choice would be Mr. Howell (#9 on the list). He's not the richest, but he lives a long way from Buffalo, and might meddle less with how his football men run the operation. But reasonable people could differ about this. If Ralph walked up to you and said - - "I'm gonna put the future of the Buffalo Bills in your hands and let you pick the next owner of the team from this list" - - who would you choose?

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/fictional/Worth.html

And before you flame me, there's nobody from Toronto on the list!

Thurston?

My choice is Pegula.

Git 'er dun, Buddy!

Edit: Ah ****, should have clicked the link first and then ignored the thread.

Really? There's nothing better to talk about on the eve of the last pre-season game? This is material for threads in May, not now!

Edited by Erik Flowers

My money is on Jeremy Gundlach. But here is the problem I see: L.A. interests will drive up the price on the Bills. The Bills, on paper, are worth about $800M. But if you want a team in L.A. you have no problem paying $1.2-1.3B because the Bills in L.A. are worth that much more. So anyone bidding to keep the Bills in Buffalo will have to overpay by hundreds of millions.

Thurston?

My choice is Pegula.

Git 'er dun, Buddy!

I have a theory on Terry Pegula as well. He looks like he's throwing crazy money at the Sabres but he's actually setting them up for when they are Buffalo's only pro franchise.

Stop and consider all the ad revenue the Bills generate. It's probably not that much by NFL standards but huge money to an NHL team. Now if the Bills left town, all that revenue suddenly becomes available. What better place to spend it than on a local team that is a championship contender?

If the Bills left the Sabres would become a very profitable team.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It pains me, but this post could fill up with..."Bills next owner moving them to L.A. or Canada" talk real soon!

I'd love to see a group of owners who are prominent business guys with WNY ties....Like the Rich family, Pegula, Golisano...etc...etc...even having the Rogers family involved would'nt hurt-- where each would own an equal share of the team with the lone goal of winning a championship!

Well, I guess if nothing else, this thread will be one way to determine who bothers to click on posted links and who doesn't. There's already a member of the Rich family on the Forbes list. I suppose if he wanted to make other members of his family part-owners he could.

So how about if future responders pick by number (as some above did) rather than by name?

Ready, fire, aim!!!!!!!

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

My money is on Jeremy Gundlach. But here is the problem I see: L.A. interests will drive up the price on the Bills. The Bills, on paper, are worth about $800M. But if you want a team in L.A. you have no problem paying $1.2-1.3B because the Bills in L.A. are worth that much more. So anyone bidding to keep the Bills in Buffalo will have to overpay by hundreds of millions.

I have a theory on Terry Pegula as well. He looks like he's throwing crazy money at the Sabres but he's actually setting them up for when they are Buffalo's only pro franchise.

Stop and consider all the ad revenue the Bills generate. It's probably not that much by NFL standards but huge money to an NHL team. Now if the Bills left town, all that revenue suddenly becomes available. What better place to spend it than on a local team that is a championship contender?

PTR

That's a pretty big conspiracy theory. The Sabres are a profitable business now, and will be even more so in the coming years. You can barely buy a preseason ticket right now - the entire regular season will be sold out this year, probably before November 1. Businesses will be flocking to the Sabres to align themselves with the hottest franchise in town, whether the Bills are here or not. Why would he plot to take over all the Bills advertising revenue, and make, what, 5 million dollars a year on it? I will take him at his own word - if he wants to make money, he can just drill another gas well.

NFL won't allow that kind of ownership, one person has to hold a majority ownership of a franchise. You don't want Golisano, he might get the distinction of being the only person cheaper then Ralph because its all about teh bottom line for him. pegula only bought the Sabres because he is a huge hockey fan, his interest in football at this point is unknown. I don't see Rogers being interested unless its for a team in Toronto, or theres a deal for them to play games in toronto. They are a Canadian company, can't see them investing in an American team

If the Patriots can win Super Bowls through dirty tricks, why not the Bills?

Not only owning the Bills but also possessing the singularly largest mind of any billionaire, Lex Luthor can and will deliver for the Bills.

Dedicated to whatever endeavor he invests in to the very limit, the Lombardi trophy WILL be ours, ohh yes.

Edited by BmoreBills

that was a great set-up... I hesitated to click on the link (peter pan phobia)... your not-so-subtle humor was lost on most however...thanks for the laugh..

My vote is #13...

Who wouldnt mind watching Ms Laura Croft roaming the sidelines in tight tight clothing...at least there would be one positive thing going on for our team during game days. And then imagine when the weather turns cold. Yummy...

she might look too pixelated at that size though...

That's a pretty big conspiracy theory. The Sabres are a profitable business now, and will be even more so in the coming years. You can barely buy a preseason ticket right now - the entire regular season will be sold out this year, probably before November 1. Businesses will be flocking to the Sabres to align themselves with the hottest franchise in town, whether the Bills are here or not. Why would he plot to take over all the Bills advertising revenue, and make, what, 5 million dollars a year on it? I will take him at his own word - if he wants to make money, he can just drill another gas well.

It's hardly a conspiracy theory about Pegula and the Sabres, just smart business. The Sabres will be a monster if they win a cup or two and they are the only team (besides the Bandits) in town.

PTR

okay, how about Danny Wegman or whatever group Kelly et al can put together? Some people think the the bills will leave town, but there are too many other teams that have a bad economic situation that would likely improve in a different location.

As far as the Bills winning a SB...yeah it would have been the greatest, but the fact that they went 4 years in a row has galvanized (older) fan support and made OBD marketing a lot easier (Bills marketing: "we were on the brink, but this year we have that missing link in place - so buy your season ticket now").

Keep in mind that anyone who buys the Bills will likely have to spend over $1B to win them at auction, maybe even more. That person may also have to pay the majority for a new stadium in a few years as well. So who has $2B+ to throw around?

PTR

PTR

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read.