Right Guard

With all due respect, they both suck at RG. Im not going to argue who would suck less.

OK then by that logic couldn't you agree that keeping him at center and moving wood back to guard would be a stronger combination..Wood doesn't suck at all at RG so he clearly wins that, and hangartner doesn't suck at center as much as urbik sucks at RG

OK then by that logic couldn't you agree that keeping him at center and moving wood back to guard would be a stronger combination..Wood doesn't suck at all at RG so he clearly wins that, and hangartner doesn't suck at center as much as urbik sucks at RG

I respectfully disagree....Hangartner SUCKED at center. He just is not strong enough to take on the 3-4 NT's of the AFC East. He's a smart player, but consistently gets dominated physically. If the pocket collapses from the center position consistently, then we have no freaking passing game. Urbik is not lacking is strength or size, but he is lacking in technique....something that can be taught. IMO....Urbik has been getting better every single week.

Hangartner will likely be cut on Saturday when the roster trims down to 53.

I've paid extra attention to the offensive line this preseason. Based on what I've seen so far, I think Demetrius Bell has been BY FAR our worst starting lineman during those 5 or so quarters.

Everyone has struggled at times. That includes Eric Wood and Andy Levitre.

It's funny ... this post is very similar to the one quoting coaches, general managers, front office personnel, etc. who critiqued the Bills. Who are these "analysts?" Where is the link that says that Urbik is "one of the worst starting linemen in the league?"

If you watched the Jacksonville game you may have noticed that Urbik played well. If you have watched the entire preseason you might have noticed that Pears has played decently too. Neither of these guys are Pro-Bowl calibar (Yet) but they have to start somewhere and frankly they are better than the broken down bodies of old cast-offs from other teams who might have had glory days back before the turn of the century.

In fact Urbik came out of college as one of the highest rated lineman after receiving these honors in college:

2005 second team All-American (Sporting News[1] and Rivals.com[2])

2007 consensus second team All-Big Ten selection[3][4][5]

2008 second team All-Big Ten selection (Coaches)[6]

2008 first team All-Big Ten selection (Rivals.com)[7]

2008 ESPN.com first team All-American[8]

So, to rip on a guy based on preseason play or to quote mysterious experts really isn't allowing for a fair evaluation.

Hangartner is a smart player but he gets bowled over by any bull rush or large nose tackle, which is one of the reasons Wood is now playing center. Center is Hang's natural position not guard. Yes, I would think they might keep him as a back up guard and center but Levitre can also play center. Not sure about Rinehart's history.

So, we have one more preseason game before the cuts come and the waiver wire gets busy. It will be interesting to see who the OL back-ups are but it is very clear that Gailey has his starting offensive line of BELL, LEVITRE, WOOD, URBIK, and PEARS.

You sure (even when bending down) that levitre's arms can reach the ball? ... it's a joke guys, really

So have I. The line looks stout. When Jackson is picking up the free man --like he does tremendously well, there's plenty of time for Fitzpatrick to put Chan's scheme to work.

I like the starting line of bell, levitre, wood, urbik, and pears also. I think they just need to play more together and things will be fine. We have to pick the starting 5 and go with it. We have no pro bowlers, but if they function well as a unit and stay healthy it will go a long way.

So have I. The line looks stout. When Jackson is picking up the free man --like he does tremendously well, there's plenty of time for Fitzpatrick to put Chan's scheme to work.

Fred Jackson is the key to picking up the blitzer which will be coming. C.J. was terrible at this last year and the reason he isn't ready to start yet.

finally someone who makes sense - Wood would be wasted at Center

I'm looking forward to seeing this team with Wood at center. My hope is that we will find it easier to run inside with a center who can move people around as opposed to being pushed backward. Also may help in keeping the blitz and the pressure out of Fitz' face up the middle.

Mike Pouncey recently went 15th in the draft. Centers are valued as highly, sometimes higher than guards.

They have it right having Hangy run with the 2nd unit. Doesn't mean you have to cut him, he's a servicable backup center. You're creating unnecessary problems for yourself by cutting him IMO

Edited by Big Bad Boone

I like Hang, but he is not strong at the point of attack. Urbik has the size and strength to be a significant upgrade. I also believe Urbik played center in at least one game last year (am I wrong?) The question is not cut Hang or Urbik, because Urbik is not going anywhere (and should not, in my opinion, a good pick-up with potential). The question is Hang vs. other back-up guards. Too close for me to have an opinion on who should be cut or retained.

One last point: I think the OL will be the most pleasant surprise on the team this year. They are big and have talent, but are raw and have not yet jelled. I think Chan is keeping the heat on players like Levitre and Bell by starting/playing others in their place. Sure, Bell looked real bad against Denver, but he was facing a player with speed and body lean on the rush that is somewhat unique. He did a good job overall last year at three-quarter strength. He should get better. I think Wood and Levitre are emerging as respected players. I think Urbik will be okay at guard as he refines his game and to me, Pears looked at least servicable in the preseason. I also watched Hairston's every snap the other night, replayed them even on NFL.com. I don't know when he starts, but prediction here is he is a high-quality NFL tackle for many years. They have this line moving in the right direction, and loss of Hang would not be significant, IMHO.