Can anyone remember

Bob in STL

Please stop saying we have plenty of talent on this team and then name drop Merriman... He is already injured and has been done for 3 years. He will likely sit out the rest of preseason. If he actually plays in more than a game or two in the regular season I will be shocked. This is a talent depleted roster, if you can't see that you are blind.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What will this thread turn into if there are more veteran departures before season end?

In PPP, however, it has always been rife with 'idiotic posts and the demise of rational discussion and debate'.

Which proves the sadistic nature of the idiots who choose to post & get flogged on the dark side.

Good points. I was going to mention that the era between Chuck Knox and Marv Levy was very grim.

Never under-estimate what adding a HoF QB (Kelly) and an all time great defensive player (Smith) can do. Each of this men helped to make the people around them better.

This is different than the 80's. The bleakness lasted for about 3 years, not 11. In the 1986 season, you could at least sense a turnaround. It wasn't just Kelly. They rebuilt their Oline in one year. They had just come off one of the best drafts in recent history. You knew the defense still needed work, but you knew that was coming. And it did, the following year.

They rebuilt once in the 80's, it wasn't a continuous 3-4 year rebuilding plan. And maybe more importantly, the visions of playoffs past weren't a distant memory. Damn, my youngest son was born in the year of the last playoff berth. He just started middle school.

This is different...now you're talking about hitting a high water mark of 7 wins, replace the old regime, trash the old regime, get rid of everyone from the old regime, start again, and hope that within 3-4 years...you get to 7 wins.

None of the three you listed are bonafide NFL stars. Johnson has had one good season, as a #2 receiver, with Lee Evans drawing the majority of double teams, he has to prove he can do it consistently and as the #1 guy. Dareus has played in two preseason games? Really? Merriman has to prove that he can stay healthy and that he has anything left in the tank. If there is a star on this team it would be Kyle Williams, and he is just approaching that level. I do agree with the other poster, this is one of the, if not the worst NFL roster I have ever seen.

Don't forget Moorman... Maybe Jairus Byrd will turn into a star sometime soon.

Edited by Bills!Win!

This is different than the 80's. The bleakness lasted for about 3 years, not 11. In the 1986 season, you could at least sense a turnaround. It wasn't just Kelly. They rebuilt their Oline in one year. They had just come off one of the best drafts in recent history. You knew the defense still needed work, but you knew that was coming. And it did, the following year.

They rebuilt once in the 80's, it wasn't a continuous 3-4 year rebuilding plan. And maybe more importantly, the visions of playoffs past weren't a distant memory. Damn, my youngest son was born in the year of the last playoff berth. He just started middle school.

This is different...now you're talking about hitting a high water mark of 7 wins, replace the old regime, trash the old regime, get rid of everyone from the old regime, start again, and hope that within 3-4 years...you get to 7 wins.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/

Here's a link to the Bills regular season records for the team's entire history.

I'm not sure that the only bleak time was 1982-88...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/

Here's a link to the Bills regular season records for the team's entire history.

I'm not sure that the only bleak time was 1982-88...

Yeah, I know, I watched most of it...at least the 70's onward.

The post I quoted was referring to the early 80's.

I can't go back to the 60's, but I can go back to the mid 70's. As late as 1975, the Bills had a very potent offense, they just didn't have a defense, and missed badly on a bunch of draft picks.

But after 2 years of completely falling apart, they brought in Chuck Knox, a guy that came from a winning organization, who brought in a new culture. With him, you knew it might take two years, but you could sense a difference in how things were run.

I just can't say that right now, I wish I could.

What will this thread turn into if there are more veteran departures before season end?

Which proves the sadistic nature of the idiots who choose to post & get flogged on the dark side.

I refuse to participate there because it mirrors the problem with politics and reflects the worst about modern society. Bills and Sabres talk is much, much, much more enjoyable and stimulating despite the state of the Bills.