Math Question

CosmicBills

I am afraid of math, but was wondering this:

If each NFL game is a 50/50 Win Loss proposition, what is the statistical probibility that Denver, Baltimore and Jax lose at least one of their final two games?

or, in other words...

It's like 4 people flipping a coin twice. What's the chances that all four people get a Heads at least once?

Can anyone solve that equation? I would love to know.

Thanks!

Simple 50/50. The events are independent of each other. If the probablility is 50/50 for each game, it is 50/50 for the scenario you describe. What are they teaching you kids these days in school ... how to roll a condom on?

Simple 50/50.  The events are independent of each other.  If the probablility is 50/50 for each game, it is 50/50 for the scenario you describe.  What are they teaching you kids these days in school ... how to roll a condom on?

168175[/snapback]

You roll them on ?? :devil:

Simple 50/50.  The events are independent of each other.  If the probablility is 50/50 for each game, it is 50/50 for the scenario you describe.  What are they teaching you kids these days in school ... how to roll a condom on?

168175[/snapback]

That can't be the answer...can it?

Because wouldn't you have to factor in the chances that only 2 of the 3 teams get a Heads, or the chance that only 1 of the 3 teams get a Heads...

It's not 50/50.

Its 1/8th.

If you flip a coin 3 times, the likelyhood it will turn up heads (or tails) 3 times in a row is 1 in 8

168178[/snapback]

Ah, thank you:)

So we have a 12% chance...

Looks grim when you see it in that format, but it's better than nothing!

168175[/snapback]

I don't know the right answer, but I know that you're wrong....

flipping a penny is an independent event too, but the prob. that it is flipped tails 3x in a row is not 50%.

Ah, thank you:)

So we have a 12% chance...

Looks grim when you see it in that format, but it's better than nothing!

168182[/snapback]

I doubt that is correct either because you only need one loss out of 2 possible tries for each team. If it was the final game - yes, but not now.

I think it is 0.75^3 = 42%

WW, LW, WL, LL = 75% success for each team....

I doubt that is correct either because you only need one loss out of 2 possible tries for each team.  If it wa sthe final game - yes, but not now.

168193[/snapback]

Oh, great point!

See, this is why math and I don't get along too well. :devil:

Thanks so much.

I know it's meaningless, and even though I hate math, I like numbers.

I am a walking contradiction I guess.  :devil:

168202[/snapback]

not to bum you out, but assuming I'm right - I believe I am - then if you include OUR odds of WW then all the scenarios play out to a 10.5% chance of occuring... <_<

Guest TSquareBoston

42.2%

Assuming equal (50% probability) in each game:

Each independent team has a 75% chance of losing at least one game: 4 possible combinations, of which 3 consist of a loss: W/W,W/L,L/W and L/L. 3/4=75%

The chance of all three having a positive outcome (at least one loss) is

75% x 75% x 75%.

Dated a math major way back.

Well, I don't think that you can make a reasonable analysis assuming every game is a 50/50 proposition. We know that isn't the case - you'd be hard pressed to find someone make you an even money bet on next week's San Fran/Buffalo game.

In this case, you have to factor in the lines on the games. Here's my projections:

Buff at SF - Buffalo by 13

Pitt at Buff - Pitt 3 (if 1 seed isn't wrapped up)

Buff 1-3 (if Pitt wraps up one seed)

Denver at Tennessee - Denver -3

Indy at Denver - Denver -3 (if Indy can't improve their position, which is very likely...if this game were in week 16, Indy would be a three point favorite - this is really a killer for the Bills)

Houston at Jacksonville - Jags -5.5

Jacksonville at Oakland - Jacksonville -6 (if they can win to get in - a scenario that will inflate the line....normally that's a Jacks -3)

Baltimore at Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh -7

Miami at Baltimore - Baltimore -12

There's also the Jets scenario....

Pats at Jets - New England -3

Jets at St. Louis - Jets -8

Since Denver and Jacksonville are favored in both their games, there's a higher than 25% probability (nominal coin flipping odds) that either one will win both. I'd put the Jags somewhere around 50% and the Broncos at 35%. I'd put Baltimore at around 15%. The Bills are highly dependent on the value of the game to Pittsburgh.

I think the Bills have a 20% shot or so at getting into this thing.

168175[/snapback]

You have to love someone insulting other's education when the answer they come to isn't even close to being the correct answer. Try taking a Stats class before coming back to sit on your high horse.

If each NFL game is a 50/50 Win Loss proposition, what is the statistical probibility that Denver, Baltimore and Jax lose at least one of their final two games?

or, in other words...

It's like 4 people flipping a coin twice. What's the chances that all four people get a Heads at least once?

Thanks!

168163[/snapback]

I just made a post about this with my own calculations. Here is a simple way to figure out the odds of those teams winning out.

Take your odds for each game. For example in my post I have the Jaguars at 6/10 vs Houston. In other words for every 10 games they play against Houston in Jacksonville they will win 6 of them. Then you take the odds of your second game, in Jacksonville's case I have them at 8/10 vs Oakland. Turn those fractions into percentages and multiply them together. So its . 60*.80= 48%.

So within my estimates the Jaguars have a 48% chance at winning out.

f each NFL game is a 50/50 Win Loss proposition, what is the statistical probibility that Denver, Baltimore and Jax lose at least one of their final two games?

I think you asked 2 questions so, I'll answer this one.

The easiest way to visualize this is to look at the chance it doesn't occur and subtract that from 100%.

If a team fails to lose at least one game, that means they win both. The odds of that (independent) are 25%. So the odds of them losing at least 1 is 75%.

You want to know the odds of all happening together, that's .75*.75*.75 =27/64=~42.8%.

I was a math major, BTW (concentrating in calculus, though).

Also, give SDS the gold star. He got the answer 1st. I figured it was easiest to figure the answer myself than to go over which previous posts were right & which ones were wrong.

or, in other words...

Thanks!

168163[/snapback]

Let me correct the Math here.If each game is a 50/ 50 chance.The each individual team has a 25% chance of losing or winning both games. Each team has a 50% chance of winning one/losing one.If this is the case...you multiple .50 x .50 x .50 and you get .125 or 12.5 percent.-BUT--there is also a .25x.25 x.25 chance of allthese teams losing both games(if they dont play eachother) or about 2 percent(less actually) BUTthere is a chance that one team lose both & the others lose 1--.25 x .5 x .5=.625 or approx 6 percent. BUT--2 teams losing both plus one winning 1---.25x.25 x.5=3.125..So add 12.5 plus 1.5625plus6.25plus3.125...soooo

There is a 23.4375 % chance that the Bills will make the playoffs ASSUMING 2 Bills wins--using the 50 percent scenario that you chose.

I think you asked 2 questions so, I'll answer this one.

The easiest way to visualize this is to look at the chance it doesn't occur and subtract that from 100%.

If a team fails to lose at least one game, that means they win both.  The odds of that (independent) are 25%. So the odds of them losing at least 1 is 75%.

You want to know the odds of all happening together, that's .75*.75*.75 =27/64=~42.8%.

I was a math major, BTW (concentrating in calculus, though).

Also, give SDS the gold star.  He got the answer 1st.  I figured it was easiest to figure the answer myself than to go over which previous posts were right & which ones were wrong.

168319[/snapback]

Sorry you were both wrong.

sincerely, cal t ...statistics expert. You have to get the odds of all possibilities putting the bills in the playoffs.Those scenarios are all 3 teams losing both. all 3 teams losing once, 1 losing both 2 winning 1,2 losing both 1 winning 1.then you add these......and you ASSUME the Bills win their 2(for true odds--you'd need to add that in--but we are ASSUMING 2 Bills wins)...and you get the 24 + % figure.

Thank you,

You've been a lovely audience.