Poor rich people

Link

I pay a higher percentage than Warren Buffet. Nice.

Buffett, one of the world's richest men and chairman of conglomerate Berkshire Hathaway Inc , said his federal tax bill last year was $6,938,744.

"That sounds like a lot of money. But what I paid was only 17.4 percent of my taxable income - and that's actually a lower percentage than was paid by any of the other 20 people in our office. Their tax burdens ranged from 33 percent to 41 percent and averaged 36 percent," he said.

But no big, the uber wealthy pay less than I do percentage wise and the top companies pay nothing or are even owed money. Sweet system. Where is the outcry to lower the taxes on these guys? Oh wait, I see it here every day. NM

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

But no big, the uber wealthy pay less than I do percentage wise and the top companies pay nothing or are even owed money. Sweet system. Where is the outcry to lower the taxes on these guys? Oh wait, I see it here every day. NM

You mean the people who are the only reason you have a job (I'm giving you enough credit to assume you do have a job don't you?)?

You mean the people who are the only reason you have a job (I'm giving you enough credit to assume you do have a job don't you?)?

so buffet would just fold up his tent because it wouldn't be worth working for a few million less a year if he was taxed at a higher rate? :wallbash:

At least until QE7 hits, you'll never be able to dream of making that much in your entire lifetime, nevermind pay federal income taxes that amount to .005% of that. Maybe "the rich" have a lower % because at their level the total amount they're paying is so !@#$ing huge. It's not like Warren has his own personal interstate highway that his taxes go to, that the DoD spends more on his safety than yours, or that he benefits more from such federally-funded scientific studies as methods to reduce the consumption of alcohol of Chinese prostitutes... in China. If WB or others want to give their $ for the federal govt to piss away, they're free to write a check.

Personally speaking, if you, Pee, birddog, buftex, et al. commandeer a time travel machine and go back to Moscow c. 1975, maybe you'll find happiness there.

Edited by UConn James

Economics not your strong point I see

At least until QE7 hits, you'll never be able to dream of making that much in your entire lifetime, nevermind pay federal income taxes that amount to .005% of that. Maybe "the rich" have a lower % because at their level the total amount they're paying is so !@#$ing huge. It's not like Warren has his own personal interstate highway that his taxes go to, that the DoD spends more on his safety than yours, or that he benefits more from such federally-funded scientific studies as methods to reduce the consumption of alcohol of Chinese prostitutes... in China. If WB or others want to give their $ for the federal govt to piss away, they're free to write a check.

Personally speaking, if you, Pee, birddog, buftex, et al. commandeer a time travel machine and go back to Moscow c. 1975, maybe you'll find happiness there.

It's like you are a zombie or something. A useful idiot. You are proof that propaganda works really well.

What? Seriously, you are justifying lower taxes for the uber wealthy because they create jobs? Well wtf are they doing now? They pay more overall so they should pay a lower percentage than me? Good god that is some piss poor logic.

Economics not your strong point I see

It's like you are a zombie or something. A useful idiot. You are proof that propaganda works really well.

Say no to drugs?

The USA does NOT have a revenue problem!!!!!!

If I pay taxes, by definition, I have a job you racist moron.

You might want to be more specific there.

Your rich grandpa could have died. You might have won the lottery. Perhaps you received a substantial gift from a rich old lady you were providing much needed services for?

You might want to be more specific there.

Your rich grandpa could have died. You might have won the lottery. Perhaps you received a substantial gift from a rich old lady you were providing much needed services for?

That is not a job? :unsure:

Oldest profession there is.

Link

How about framing the right argument and doing basic research?

The Oracle has been vocal on this issue before and has raised some questions.

What is the moral? Buffet has better tax accountants than the other rich guys considering he's paying a far lower effective rate than the average super rich guy. Which is a point that everyone who's advocating a lower flat tax is making. The more you raise the marginal rate on the class that can afford to defer income, the more damaging the tax codes gets to reviving the economy. But it does win votes from the ignorant.

What is the moral? Buffet has better tax accountants than the other rich guys considering he's paying a far lower effective rate than the average super rich guy. Which is a point that everyone who's advocating a lower flat tax is making. The more you raise the marginal rate on the class that can afford to defer income, the more damaging the tax codes gets to reviving the economy. But it does win votes from the ignorant.

That is just federal taxation, your own article says so. Total taxation crushes the middle class compared to upper income earners. That is a total foul play on your part GG, I expected better of you. :thumbdown:

He has better tax accountants? Where do you get this nonesense?

This is such a stupid argument! Actually,raising taxes really does raise revenue! Imagine that! Your argument that raising taxes will only lead to less taxes being paid is as stupid as the one I'm sure you made about Bush's tax cut cuts actually increasing revenue.

Oh wait, the Bush tax cuts on the wealthy actually didn't matter....the rich were simply defering their income untill...I think I'm going to fall down using GG "logic." :lol:

That is just federal taxation, your own article says so. Total taxation crushes the middle class compared to upper income earners. That is a total foul play on your part GG, I expected better of you. :thumbdown:

Dude your original post had a quote in it which specifically called out FEDERAL taxes. Now you're slamming someone for discussing FEDERAL taxes?

Are you stoned again? Because it sounds like you're stoned again.

Buffett, one of the world's richest men and chairman of conglomerate Berkshire Hathaway Inc , said his federal tax bill last year was $6,938,744.

"That sounds like a lot of money. But what I paid was only 17.4 percent of my taxable income - and that's actually a lower percentage than was paid by any of the other 20 people in our office. Their tax burdens ranged from 33 percent to 41 percent and averaged 36 percent," he said.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

Dude your original post had a quote in it which specifically called out FEDERAL taxes. Now you're slamming someone for discussing FEDERAL taxes?

Are you stoned again? Because it sounds like you're stoned again.

Yeah I am stoned again, because my argument has always been about total taxation. When you look at taxation rates across the board, clearly the middle class pays more. The poor rich people pay less, mainly due to capital gains.

And to paraphrase, "Well, the trouble with our conservative friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they willfully know so much that isn’t so."

If Buffet addressed total taxation, then I would as well. But since his rant specifically talks about federal income taxes, then it should be addressed in that context. A logical question is how did Buffet pay 6% less than people in his bracket did? I'm guessing that extra $2.5 million in tax savings buys pretty good tax advice.

As for the idiotic assertion that the rich pay less, you're smart enough to understand that a tax rate is not the same thing as taxes paid. If your objective is to maximize revenues, you need to either widen the pool of payers or have people generate more income for you to tax. Simply raising tax rates on the rich will not accomplish either one of the above.

But it will win you votes (including yours, I imagine)