Gaileys ego

to build an offense around them is not the wisest thing, I think.

I would hardly say that the couple trick-play snaps that went to Brad Smith and Nesbitt last night count as "building an offense around them." I do agree with your assessment that over-reliance on trick plays is a sign of a weak team. However, until our OLine develops, we will be a weak team, and so the best we can do in the interim is to play "small-ball" on offense with a couple gadget plays, and hope to steal a win or two.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I partially agree. All the "wildcat" ever helped Miami do was LOSE CLOSE GAMES. We seem to be proficient at that already, so why bother? The "wildcat" is nothing but a poor man's substitute for actual offense. The patriots don't use it. -The steelers don't use it. Nobody who's won a superbowl in the last five years employs it on a regular basis. If Chan wants to win this year, he has to come out of the pre-season with a solid reciever corp, and a gun-slinging QB. Defense looks promising, but you can't win if you can't score points.

Gailey is going to hold us back with all these gadget and gimmick plays.Im sick of the wildcat already.He thinks it makes him look smart.The only reason they havnt brought in a legitimate QB is so he can run all of these crappy plays and formations.These plays always bring our QB out of the game.Look at all of the playoff teams and see if they rely on gimmicks or if they just use their talent and game plan.You dont want to bring your most valuable player,your QB out of the game unless he isnt that talented.As long as hes running the offense we wont see a real QB in Buffalo.We will continue to run the played out wildcat and a college spread offense.And dont be surprised if Fitz is gone next year and Thigpen and Smith are our QBs.

We could always go back to tricky dickey! C'mon man this is preseason. Maybe you could do a better job? NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez, he used five different QBs because it's the first preseason game. That's what you're supposed to do--to give guys a chance to show what they got.

The Wildcat isn't going to win championships by itself. But it does add another level of complication for defensive planning.

I might call Gailey a lot of things. Arrogant is by far not one of them.

Jeez, he used five different QBs because it's the first preseason game. That's what you're supposed to do--to give guys a chance to show what they got.

The Wildcat isn't going to win championships by itself. But it does add another level of complication for defensive planning.

I might call Gailey a lot of things. Arrogant is by far not one of them.

Spot on, I am so happy footballs on!

Gailey+wood,Levitre,bell,Urbik,pears= playoffs

I agree. Gailey played 5 guys at QB last night. The audacity he displayed by proving that he could try to beat the Bears using 5 different quarterbacks in the same game is laughable. If we have any chance at all the rest of this preseason, we need to just stick with using 3 or fewer quarterbacks and start running the entire playbook, not just all these crazy gadget plays that teams showcase in the preseason to plant seeds in the heads of regular season opponents to make them devote at least a little bit of preparation to them. Open up the playbook, show your bread and butter plays and get ready for next week, let's get back to .500!!!!

Gadget plays never worked for the steelers? Don't you think he played all 5 qb's to see what they could do in a preseason game? Brown and Thigpen are clearly back ups. What didn't you like about brad smiths plays last night? He sure helped the Jets make it to the championship game 2 years in a row. I like that he is trying to be creative instead of running all the same old boring NFL plays.

Tell that to the Patriots - they go out to slaughter their opponent - doesn't matter what type of game it is

It's the preseason. It's a time to see who to cut, and who not to cut. It's for the starters to tune up, and the back ups to audition for a job. For a team like the Bills, where they are rebuilding yet again, its a chance to see who works well with certain packages/players.

I would hardly say that the couple trick-play snaps that went to Brad Smith and Nesbitt last night count as "building an offense around them." I do agree with your assessment that over-reliance on trick plays is a sign of a weak team. However, until our OLine develops, we will be a weak team, and so the best we can do in the interim is to play "small-ball" on offense with a couple gadget plays, and hope to steal a win or two.

Why are they "trick plays"? I consider them more of speciality plays, like calling in a left handed pitcher for one batter or using a power play unit in hockey. Anything that increases the probablitity of picking up a third and short, keeping the drive alive, keeping the defense off the field. No trick about it, its just a different way of going about it. We need to get use to this

Yeah, the Jets certainly don't rely on gimmicks...hahaha

What team did Brad Smith play for, how was he used? I agree with the poster that brought up Auburn and the wing/t offense. Gailey doesn't just want to run out of the "wildcat" he wants to throw out of it.

What team did Brad Smith play for, how was he used? I agree with the poster that brought up Auburn and the wing/t offense. Gailey doesn't just want to run out of the "wildcat" he wants to throw out of it.

I've said this before and I really don't think that you're going to see a lot of it in the Preseason. They are going to keep it pretty close to the vest. Again, Gailey is being forced to do this because the O line is bad. I'm excited to see what it looks like when Chan unleashes it a bit more.

Gailey might have a bit of an ego. But, you know, he's a creative, well respected offensive mind, one of maybe twenty or thirty on the planet at his level, and he's been, at times, one of the very best period. When you've accomplished that much, you have a right to believe in your capabilities. And, frankly, one of the most frustrating things about the Bills in the past decade plus was their damn lack of confidence, and their lack of creativity. They were mimicking good teams in bad ways. I like a coach who is smart, creative, and who tries to be AHEAD OF THE CURVE. That is how you win in this league.

And, as for a QB - it looks like they were pretty smart over the last two drafts, taking a bunch of young guys who will be good in the NFL, and passing on some QB's who haven't looked all that good. In the end, though, this rebuild with Nix and Gailey was going to take at least 3 years, and I see them going hard after one of the top QB's in next years draft, regardless of how well Fitzpatrick does. They want a Franchise QB, a face of this franchise, and one who can carry a team, an elite QB, and if Fitz shows he's good enough to win with, they'll keep him around as a mentor. But, I believe either way we get a rookie, high draft pick QB next year.

I'm liking this front office so far, and I think we finally have a NFL caliber team in 2011, one that will be on the up-and-comer's list next year.

Gailey is going to hold us back with all these gadget and gimmick plays.Im sick of the wildcat already.He thinks it makes him look smart.The only reason they havnt brought in a legitimate QB is so he can run all of these crappy plays and formations.These plays always bring our QB out of the game.Look at all of the playoff teams and see if they rely on gimmicks or if they just use their talent and game plan.You dont want to bring your most valuable player,your QB out of the game unless he isnt that talented.As long as hes running the offense we wont see a real QB in Buffalo.We will continue to run the played out wildcat and a college spread offense.And dont be surprised if Fitz is gone next year and Thigpen and Smith are our QBs.

For heavens sake, do we love trouble so much that we feel compelled to create controversy when there isn't any?

PTR

Why are they "trick plays"? I consider them more of speciality plays, like calling in a left handed pitcher for one batter or using a power play unit in hockey. Anything that increases the probablitity of picking up a third and short, keeping the drive alive, keeping the defense off the field. No trick about it, its just a different way of going about it. We need to get use to this

Preaching to the choir, man. It's just that many posters believe that one QB needs to be under center the entire game, and that snapping the ball to someone else is a "trick"/gadget play. I'm totally cool with someone else getting a couple snaps to keep opposing defenses guessing and keeping our defense off the field.

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk

I agree with you entirely. It seems that it has been ingrained into the organization to try to "out-trick" or "out-connive" our opponents rather than simply find the talent to take them on H2H and get the job done.

This is a post-Polian Wilson era thing. Nothing will change until there is a new owner.

I don't think that Gailey's going to be around much after next season either. He took a team that was at least capable of winning 6 or 7 games each season and led it to its worst record since Kelly's first season other than Greg Williams' first season where he went 3-13. Gailey needs to go .500 before he can claim any improvement, and he'll need to win 10 games before he can claim any significant improvement.

Cutting Evans was not a good move to help him achieve this. And suppose for a second that Johnson gets hurt? We're f'n screwed.

What did NYJ win with all those gimmicks? Nothing. All gimmicks get you is a trip to the altar with no bride! There's no substitute for real offense, people. This "wilcat" belongs with all the other widcats. -Run over on the side of the road.

I agree. Gailey played 5 guys at QB last night. The audacity he displayed by proving that he could try to beat the Bears using 5 different quarterbacks in the same game is laughable. If we have any chance at all the rest of this preseason, we need to just stick with using 3 or fewer quarterbacks and start running the entire playbook, not just all these crazy gadget plays that teams showcase in the preseason to plant seeds in the heads of regular season opponents to make them devote at least a little bit of preparation to them. Open up the playbook, show your bread and butter plays and get ready for next week, let's get back to .500!!!!

I do not agree with this garbage. He played 5 qbs because they have 5 qbs to evaluate. Nothing to do with ego. Its preseason, you want to know what guys can do on the field opposed to practice. I think Levi will be cut or on the practice squad by the start of the season. I wouldn't show my "bread and butter" plays until I know who I'm keeping and who I'm cutting. Just preseason, remember. Last thing I would criticize is how many qbs Gailey used in a preseason game. Its all about evaluation.

What did NYJ win with all those gimmicks? Nothing. All gimmicks get you is a trip to the altar with no bride! There's no substitute for real offense, people. This "wilcat" belongs with all the other widcats. -Run over on the side of the road.

What the wildcat does bring you though is a stable of offensive plays that the other defense has to gameplan for. Even if that means one less blitz package that their base defense comes to the game with because they had to account for Brad Smith under center, that's one less look that our O-line has to handle, when it's already pretty stretched thin.

Just like Patton chillin in Britain before D-Day with the jerries thinking he's going to town on Calais, I'm totally okay with Smith being a decoy.