Goodbye Kelsay

rcatty

My point on that play was not that Kelsay did anything great, but that BARNETT completely whiffed in the backfield. Look at it again. It was Barnett's play to make or not make, and he didn't make it.

That's fine. But we're not discussing Barnett. I never called out Kelsay for not making the play there. But dont tell me Kelsay did anything great by "keeping containment" or "making a play without making a tackle" (LOL). That's not the case, he was completely out of the play. Moving on! :thumbsup:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys do realize that Kelsay taking some snaps and Carrington taking some snaps are not mutually exclusive, right?

They have this thing called a "rotation" in the NFL. Believe it or not, they can actually both play IN THE SAME GAME.

Cutting Kelsay from the team entirely is not a requisite for Carrington to get his chance.

You guys do realize that Kelsay taking some snaps and Carrington taking some snaps are not mutually exclusive, right?

They have this thing called a "rotation" in the NFL. Believe it or not, they can actually both play IN THE SAME GAME.

Cutting Kelsay from the team entirely is not a requisite for Carrington to get his chance.

I dont care about rotation. I dont want Kelsay getting ANY snaps. I dont want him on the field AT ALL. He is a liability every time he is in.

I dont want Kelsay cut so Carrington will play. I want him cut because he sucks and shouldnt be on the field. Regardless of who takes his place.

Edited by DrDareustein

I hate these threads. I know I should just skip over them but for some reason I think maybe there is something new and interesting being discussed. But no.

Yeah, it's discouraging how little will power I have to resist clicking on these threads.

Kelsey is what he is. A mediocre player, but on a team full of mediocre players, just another guy. He won't win games for you, but probably doesn't lose many either.

The O-line on the other hand...

That's fine. But we're not discussing Barnett. I never called out Kelsay for not making the play there. But dont tell me Kelsay did anything great by "keeping containment" or "making a play without making a tackle" (LOL). That's not the case, he was completely out of the play. Moving on! :thumbsup:

I only mentioned Barnett because you singled him out as someone who made plays, not like Kelsay. I was pointing out that even he did not always succeed in what he was trying to do.

I don't think we have a big difference of opinion here. I just think that, until somebody establishes clearly that he is consistently better than Kelsay at his position, mediocre as he may be, he will still start for the Bills.

I do think he plays better than the drumbeat would have you believe. But yes, I have not been impressed at his coverage of receivers, and he is nowhere near the force that Williams is, and Merriman (if he stays healthy) is ten or twenty times the player, and Dareus is a beast.

Why do so many people here hate Kelsay? He isn't a great player, but he does work extremely hard and

give it everything he has. He doesn't get in trouble off the field and doesn't seem like an arrogant a**

, as far as I can tell without knowing him.

It seems like he ought to be well regarded by fans, but he sure is some folks' favorite whipping boy.

He is hated by many fans, fueled by media nitwits like schoop and his "bulldog" who complained and whined about Kelsay's contract last year, because they don't have a clue. Fans and media watch a game specifically following the ball and the action. It is impossible to judge a position player like linebacker simply from watching a game. It's called the game within the game, and it takes the breakdown of game film to fairly judge the performance of an individual position player. Cannot be done as a spectator following the ball. You have no idea what the scheme is, and what the players responsibility was and how he executed over the entire scope of the game. No knowledgeable football person, including coaches, make those judgements without breaking down game film. Ted Washington was a great nose tackle, but his typical game stats were one or two tackles and zero sacks, but he was great within the scheme, despite lack of stats. So football guys like Nix and Gailey, who are familiar with the defensive sceme and watch film of every practice and game, are completely clueless in their decision to award Kelsay with a new contract, while Schoop and his dog, or a whiny B word like Jerry Sullivan, and/or many of the posters on this board, who watch zero practices, zero game film and never even played the game, somehow know better. Please!!

Yeah, it's discouraging how little will power I have to resist clicking on these threads.

Kelsey is what he is. A mediocre player, but on a team full of mediocre players, just another guy. He won't win games for you, but probably doesn't lose many either.

The O-line on the other hand...

STOP that thinking right now. It is now safe to expect better than just ok.

Buddy is bringing in guys like Dareus and Merriman. Building around guys like K Williams.

While our record may end up around 6-10, "Mediocre" is no longer acceptable from the players. They will be cut and replaced as this team moves forward. Agreed that we still have too many mediocre players, but they are on their way out.

I dont care about rotation. I dont want Kelsay getting ANY snaps. I dont want him on the field AT ALL. He is a liability every time he is in.

I dont want Kelsay cut so Carrington will play. I want him cut because he sucks and shouldnt be on the field. Regardless of who takes his place.

Maybe you should write a letter to Chan and Wannstedt - they could use this kind of information!

While our record may end up around 6-10, "Mediocre" is no longer acceptable from the players. They will be cut and replaced as this team moves forward. Agreed that we still have too many mediocre players, but they are on their way out.

Still 1-2 years away...and maybe longer if they don't address the O-line depth immediately.

Mediocre has never been acceptable. But wishes and buts aren't candy and nuts.

Not getting a player back for LE continues to stick in my craw, when this team has so many holes..

Maybe you should write a letter to Chan and Wannstedt - they could use this kind of information!

Ha, true. That is what all/any message board bitching comes down to, isnt it? Meaningless griping... You got me on that one.

My main point from my first post is that, even as a long time supporter, Kelsay has managed to play his way out of my heart.

Go Bills! :thumbsup:

It was interesting to see The Bills first two series go completely with a 4 man front.

Kelsay contributed a decent amount to their success, and I'm not a bit CK supporter.

CK would be perfect for a team that's at or near the top of the division, with lots of young talent. He knows the defensive system and is a perfect

"lunch pail" type of guy that balances out raw talent. Unfortunately, the Bills aren't that team, so I think it's time for him to go.

As Im typing this, they are showing the game highlights on ESPN and I just re-wound that play. Kelsay comes off the edge and gets SHOVED outside by the OT. By then Cutler is already scrambling and decides to go up the middle for 10 yards. Kelsay was completely ineffective that play other than being just a body in a spot. Cutler was ALREADY going up the middle because he read we blitzed our ILB. Kelsay did not "contain". Sorry, Im not giving Kelsay credit for doing nothing just because the play went away from him.

I reeeally dont want to hate on him, believe me. But he does nothing well. Its that simple.

Like i said that is his signature move!

I am not a Kelsay supporter at all. I also think he is done this year. But one thing I will definitely say is that he is not small. The man has got great size and that's why I think he was on the team last year. We were so small that the coaches probably thought they had to keep him; why the dumb contract he received I don't know but we'll cut him and we won't see the majority of that money. Just so you know he is 6'4 265 as a LB. I'll give you that he is slow an not agile enough to be a LB, and zero cover skills. I think he was a much better backup lineman.

ok, I am wrong on his size but he does look small on TV.

Have you seen Kelsay run? A joke for a linebacker. He is not a linebacker, especially an outside linebacker. As a defensive end he is way too slow off the snap, and has no power to blow past a right tackle. In short, he is a major part of the "lack of oomph" for a team 32nd in stopping the rush.

Please package him with Maybin, and send him to the Jaguars as our gift for signing the overrated Posluszny. In fact, i'll volunteer my UPS account to cover shipping charges!

Why do so many people here hate Kelsay? He isn't a great player, but he does work extremely hard and

give it everything he has. He doesn't get in trouble off the field and doesn't seem like an arrogant a**

, as far as I can tell without knowing him.

It seems like he ought to be well regarded by fans, but he sure is some folks' favorite whipping boy.

Our front office has been thinking like you.Thats why we suck.Would you hire a guy to fix your car who couldnt fix it but was a good guy and didnt get into trouble.We dont hate him,he just sucks at LB,and its alarmingly apparent.

Have you seen Kelsay run? A joke for a linebacker. He is not a linebacker, especially an outside linebacker. As a defensive end he is way too slow off the snap, and has no power to blow past a right tackle. In short, he is a major part of the "lack of oomph" for a team 32nd in stopping the rush.

Please package him with Maybin, and send him to the Jaguars as our gift for signing the overrated Posluszny. In fact, i'll volunteer my UPS account to cover shipping charges!

I agree.And dont forget they moved Moats inside when he looked so good outside just to keep this bum on the field.

Maybe u didn't watch the game yesterday, kelsey was getting great push..... Collapsing his side of the pocket and almost recorded 1 sacks but merman beat him on it.... OR MAYB YOUR JUST KIDDING!

NO POWER! lmmfao watch the game again please......

As a defensive end he is awful. Playing outside linebacker he is worse. No speed, no power. I haven't seen him make a play since he has been here.

Edited by Nishous

How many yards did the reverse gain? If the play went completely away from help, why do you think it was unsuccessful?

You are trying to take one play that the defense stuffed, and use that as your argument to say that Kelsay played poorly in that game? Nice logic.

I'm not saying that you don't understand football but...

The play gained 3 yards. If Kelsay was where he should have been the play loses yards. That means 2nd and long which puts the defense at a complete advantage. The other thing a broken reverse does is put the backside defenders at risk for crackback blocks. A broken reverse also puts your perimeter players (DB's) as run defenders which is not what you want. And of course lastly, the defense functions as a unit. It's Kelsay's job to turn the play up inside, he didn't do that. He is a liability on that defense. I don't care if he's is a good guy, he is not a good football player. It's very simple.

And your logic of, "who cares if he did something, the play didn't hurt us", is absurd.