Merriman Might Be Back or Bell.....Really Isn't the Answer

PDaDdy

Not sure which is the case but it's likely a little of both. So far it looks like good progress for those hoping Merriman could contribute on defense and stay healthy. He is getting pressure and making plays. Unfortunately for Demetrius Bell, Merriman may be exposing him as not being an NFL caliber LT.

Quote from Paul Hamilton article:

"In one on one linemen drills"..."Merriman made Demetrius Bell look bad almost every rep."

Edited by PDaDdy

Not sure which is the case but it's likely a little of both. So far it looks like good progress for those hoping Merriman could contribute on defense and stay healthy. He is getting pressure and making plays. Unfortunately for Demetrius Bell, Merriman may be exposing him as not being an NFL caliber LT.

"In one on one linemen drills"..."Merriman made Demetrius Bell look bad almost every rep."

Considering that Demetrius Bell was actually pretty good last year and should be even healthier this year, I'm only excited about Merriman and not the least bit concerned about Bell. I don't understand why reports from a couple practices have ballooned into such a big deal. We all know what Allen Iverson said. LET'S WAIT TIL SEPTEMBER 11TH. Now to say I'm not concerned that Merriman or Barnett will get hurt at some point, that's a different story. But imagine- just imagine- if they can both stay healthy. You got Dareus, Williams, Merriman and Barnett as 4 of your front 7?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

IMO, by Bell playing against Merriman everyday in practice, this is only going to help him develop much quicker. Merriman has been taking the time to mentor Wang after the plays are over with, so I'm sure he's doing the same with Bell.

It appeard to be about 50/50 last night. Saw Bell hold his own on several occassions, also saw him get pushed into Fitz on a couple other plays. Saw Merriman line up across him to blitz fitz and he manhandled Bell. Think its about time Bell has some real competition to practice against, its only going to make him better.

After last nights practice (my first) I am feeling really excited about this Defense.

GO BILLS!!!!

You make good points, and I'm leaning towards a little of both. Merriman simply hasn't been healthy...IF he's healthy (all reports say he is) there is no reason he shouldn't be a top notch player at his position. Well some say Bell played "great" last year, I thought he played "ok"....He is by far the best tackle on our team, but unfortunately I think he will get beat by better defenses pretty easily.

It appeard to be about 50/50 last night. Saw Bell hold his own on several occassions, also saw him get pushed into Fitz on a couple other plays.

GO BILLS!!!!

If Bell get's beat 50% of the time, Fitz better stock up on a lot of advil...

IMO, by Bell playing against Merriman everyday in practice, this is only going to help him develop much quicker. Merriman has been taking the time to mentor Wang after the plays are over with, so I'm sure he's doing the same with Bell.

I agree, Jerry. IMO something our OL really lacked last year: quality and speed on D to practice against in camp

I think it showed, our first few games - "oh crap this is what real NFL defense is like!"

At his best, was hardly a LT in the league could stand against Merriman. So I also agree we can't tell yet - is Bell just horrid, or is Merriman back?

If Merriman played last year we would have won at least 4 more games. If he can stay healthy our defense will be much better. We didnt have a legit pass rusher last year, teams will have to plan for him which will take pressure off other players.

You make good points, and I'm leaning towards a little of both. Merriman simply hasn't been healthy...IF he's healthy (all reports say he is) there is no reason he shouldn't be a top notch player at his position. Well some say Bell played "great" last year, I thought he played "ok"....He is by far the best tackle on our team, but unfortunately I think he will get beat by better defenses pretty easily.

If Bell get's beat 50% of the time, Fitz better stock up on a lot of advil...

Right! In a live game 50/50 is not good. Fitz will need a will and a burial plot if that is the case.

If Merriman played last year we would have won at least 4 more games. If he can stay healthy our defense will be much better. We didnt have a legit pass rusher last year, teams will have to plan for him which will take pressure off other players.

I agree, those OT games and the Chicago game were all games where one play could have made the difference. I personally think the entire defense is better as a whole tuis year (at least on paper) and the thought of Merriman coming back to former form gets me all warm and fuzzy inside.

The best part about this Merriman thing is that I think the rest of the league has written him off as well so by the time we tale on the Pats in week 3 he should be a household name again. I think it'll take a few games for him to command the respect he once did. This all plays well for us.

I am encouraged by Merriman but we'll have to see if he A) stays healthy and B) what he looks like against real NFL offensive tackles. I know I'm being hard on Bell but the idea that we are still waiting on a 27 year old LT to get it and become consistent is something we would have never stood for in our heyday.

Really? I've been saying this for the last year or 2. :rolleyes:

You people need to open your eyes when you watch the games.

Edited by DreReed83