OK....it irritates the crap out of me when these media guys auto say

"Spears shall be shaken"

...and the streets will be filled with the blood of the non-believers.

I'm with you. I think a .500 season or even an outside shot at 9-7 is plausible. We need a healthy Bell who is at least as competent as last year. Maybe he makes strides. That would be a bonus. I think we will be better up the middle of the O with Wood anchoring the line. Our run D has to be better given the events of the draft etc. Those two factors alone make us 'better' on paper IMHO. Time will tell.....but there are some real reasons to feel better about the team.

In the big picture of my mind, Playoffs are still a longshot but I am certain of one thing.....At 1pm each and every Sunday I will be convinced that a Bills victory is but a mere three hours away.

Colin Cowherd said this morning "don't expect the Bills to win over 5 games this year". But he also expected the Fish to win 7+ games, so go figure.

If this dope says they won't win more than 5 games the Bills just might be a playoff team. Cowherd is the absolute worst clown on the air.

...and the streets will be filled with the blood of the non-believers.

I'm with you. I think a .500 season or even an outside shot at 9-7 is plausible. We need a healthy Bell who is at least as competent as last year. Maybe he makes strides. That would be a bonus. I think we will be better up the middle of the O with Wood anchoring the line. Our run D has to be better given the events of the draft etc. Those two factors alone make us 'better' on paper IMHO. Time will tell.....but there are some real reasons to feel better about the team.

In the big picture of my mind, Playoffs are still a longshot but I am certain of one thing.....At 1pm each and every Sunday I will be convinced that a Bills victory is but a mere three hours away.

This.

+1 on the bolded part. (and here I thought all my Bills buddies here didn't really understand the level of my devotion to the Bills..):blush:

Buffalo has got to be the only corner in world that thinks this brutal team can win 8 or 9 games. Don't tee off on media folks for ranking Buffalo low. The team has one of the worst offensive lines in the league, and is terrible agaisnt the run. We have a history of failing to draft well, and struggle to attract and sign useful free agents.

I'll watch every week on the ticket and root like hell, pull for our rookies to be good (and play for once, see Troup, Carrington, et all) and celebrate the small things, but I'll clean up every week as usual betting against the Bills in my parley.

So you are just assuming that we beat the fins twice and lose to the jets and patriots twice....

This is kind of what I am talking about.....neither the jets or the patriots are unbeatable teams if we can stop their running games and keep their offenses off the field.

you are correct!!

The Bills need only to follow the game plan they used the last time they played the Pats and Jets and the playoffs are a given. :flirt:

No team does more with smoke and mirrors than the pre-season Bills.

I do not understand how or why the dolphins can do anything? they have brandon marshall and no qb to throw to him? they have reggie bush who is not a every down back. Gailey already said we are ahead of where we were at this point last year. Plus we have a qb in fitz that the team loves and is behind, and thigpen can play games if fitzy gets hurt. If henne gets hurt? The Jets and the pats are not unbeatable. The jets pass game i do not think even with the additions don't scare me there are all old vets.We got a vet and a bunch of young fiery guys. Honestly i love being the underdog rank the bills 31st they will surprise with wins that they weren't suppose to.

- Listening to this retape of Sal and Joe B.

- There are SOOOO many things that can happen over the course of an NFL season...to AUTOMATICALLY say that a team isnt a playoff team just irritates the crap out of me....and it is flat out WRONG. It all starts in the division.

-- Miami is not a dominate team in the least

-- The jets lost some guys....and frankly I am not sold on their QB. I think we have the down linemen to shut down their run and force mistakees

-- The patriots are of course going to be tough to beat....but we had them in one of the games last year and gave it away....almost got the split. With a couple more big plays we had that game.

- Second....you dont know what is going to happen with the OTHER teams in the NFL....they could be up or down for a multitude of reasons

- Third.....despite the many weaknesses of our team...they fought hard in nearly every game last year. They did not lay down.

I actually thought that last year was going to be a down year.....and I didn't have high hopes in the TO year.....but I like what Nix has down with this defense this year. We are stout up front.....we have a ILB that can cover a tight end and a safety who can cover behind him.....our pass rush threat is up......we appear to have a defense that can compete and create turnovers

On offense.....for all of the bitching and moaning about the offensive line this is still the same one last year that moved up and down the field pretty easily.....converted 3rd downs......had a 3K passer, a WR who tied Bill Brooks TD receiving record. Now we have Bell (and yes I know he has a dinged up shoulder but come on its a "days" injury not like a knee) and Wood who will have made a full recovery.....everyone complains that Pears is a unknown but I cannot find ANYONE who has actually watched practice tell me that Pears looks lost out there.....

The point is.....this has the feel of a young hungry team with a solid, steady, smart, gutsy QB steering the offense and a solid backup behind him (which by the way was something we DIDN"T have last year) our young wide receiver core is a year older and there appears to be lots of playmakers and depth there......and I predict a solid running game from this stable of running backs.

We will compete....teams are gonna find out this year that Buffalo still has an NFL team in town.

"Spears shall be shaken"

"Sheilds shall be splintered"

You sold me.

I don't know why even watch sports TV or listen to sports Radio. It's funny I'm an expert because I state that the teams that will be good this year are the ones that were good last year. Then I get a name tag of Sports Analyst. I say wait for the season to start, and put the cards on the table. Pro football is the closest thing to a true card game. You don't see Analyst talk about the world poker tour and talk about who's going to win it from the start. I remember a few years back the Dolphins had a lead on the Bills, but good old lake affect snow came just in time. Bills could be the luckiest team in the NFL this year, and I'd take luck over skill any day.

I'm wtchoo JFH. If Brady, Rodgers or Peyton go down, are they likely to win games with their backup QB's? Anything can happen. Pats are still on top in AFC East, but My Yami will be at the bottom and the Jets are in for a recession. If Gailey gets this team motivated and believing in themselves, AND if they pull off a couple of wins they would normally have let slip away, this team could surprise a lot of people this year.

Edited by DrFishfinder

I think they are positioned for it Sage......

I think the Bills are a darkhorse for a wild card....nobody expects us to be good.....but the fact is this team had a lot of fight when we DIDNT have the talent to compete......and pieces are being moved around the board.

- If Spiller gets going....look out

- If Merrimen can get the measley 11.5 sacks he had AFTER his steroid season....look out

- If Stevie Johnston continues to improve...look out

- If Chris Chandler comes in and uses that 280 pound TE frame to give us just a LITTLE BIT of production to go with blocking....look out

Lots of its.....but the potential is there

John, your optimism and observations are in line with a lot of the "what ifs" this year I see as well. However, I must disagree with your assessment regarding the OT spot. If you think having Pears switch over to the left and having Hairston start, well that optimism is misplaced my friend.

EVerything else though, weirdly enough, I think it could actually happen. Perhaps it is the extra couple of cocktails tonight I've consumed, but if we manage to stop the run, we could challenge. But I seriously worry about Fitzy's ability to lead a playoff team.

Edited by stony