Kelsay better than I thought?

I re-upped my NFL GameRewind subscription this past weekend, and spent some time watching some of the Bills games from last year.

I was really struck by how much better Kelsay was than I remembered.

Trust me - or search around here for my prior comments - I haven't been a Kelsay fan. I've been really hoping Moats was going to beat him out this year, and couldn't understand why he wasn't.

Having watched several games now - all after the half-way point when the defense was starting to get the hang of the 3-4 - you can't escape that Kelsay is making a lot of plays out there.

All I can assume is that I was so disgusted by how he looked at first playing OLB that I stopped paying attention to him. Either that or I just happened to stumble on to his 4 best games.

In hinddsight though, the guy is all over the field, and in the backfield a lot with pressures, stripped balls, etc.

What's even more impressive is that you could actually sit through one of those games again.

Btw, you do know that Kelsay is #90 right?

Hey - 2nd half of the year they weren't playing that badly.

And yeah - though I did double check once - he's #90. :rolleyes:

Shhh...Nix and Gailey are morons and stupidly wanted to keep a high-character, high-energy, team-first player on the roster. I see Kelsay consistently "disrupting" plays; my only criticism has been his inability to finish when he has the QB in his grasp.

Fans are like sheep. See a guy miss a tackle and all of a sudden he can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Kelsay is smart, he's usually in the right place, and he's not the reason the Bills have stunk on defense.

He's not an all-pro but he is much more important to the defense than the "expert" fans realize.

If your sole argument against Kelsay is that you think his salary is too high, I think you need to understand he's not taking $$ out of any other player's pocket, nor is he keeping the Bills from making whatever other moves they want to in free agency.

I see a trend developing. Criticism of Nix in free agency has largely focused on three moves -- signing Cornell Green, extending Kelsay, and signing Merriman.

Green -- obviously the guy didn't recover from his knee injury the way the Bills had hoped. No question this one didn't pan out.

Kelsay -- exactly the kind of player you want on your team (a coach's dream -- knows his job and does it, even if he's not spectacular).

Merriman -- early reports are that he has recovered from the leg injuries that sidelined him and is ready to be a significant contributor.

Just my opinion, obviously.

I re-upped my NFL GameRewind subscription this past weekend, and spent some time watching some of the Bills games from last year.

I was really struck by how much better Kelsay was than I remembered.

Trust me - or search around here for my prior comments - I haven't been a Kelsay fan. I've been really hoping Moats was going to beat him out this year, and couldn't understand why he wasn't.

Having watched several games now - all after the half-way point when the defense was starting to get the hang of the 3-4 - you can't escape that Kelsay is making a lot of plays out there.

All I can assume is that I was so disgusted by how he looked at first playing OLB that I stopped paying attention to him. Either that or I just happened to stumble on to his 4 best games.

In hinddsight though, the guy is all over the field, and in the backfield a lot with pressures, stripped balls, etc.

I have never quite figured out the chorus of hateful voices that rise up against Kelsay either.

Yes, the BUFFALO BILLS signed him to a significant contract that does not take any money out of our personal wallets nor did it push the Bills over the cap. But is a player's salary a reason to hate him?

Ok, at the start of last season with a shift in position and a chance in defense, he looked lost in pass coverage but take a look at Jacksonville's new MLB because he couldn't cover anyone at any time in his pro career and he has always been a linebacker.

Kelsay is that classic type of player who works hard and is respected by his teammates. Teams need players like Kelsay.

I have never spent time focusing in on Kelsay because in my mind he never was the problem.

Thanks for your observations ... not sure if I could sit back and watch last year's games again but you did and the info. might help some critics quiet down a bit.

GO BILLS!!! Let's give this team a chance to come together under Buddy and Chan; just like rookies, new coaching regimes rarely succeed in the first year or two but you want to watch the direction they are heading and I feel good about my Bills!

People LOVE to bash Kelsey, mostly unfairly. Kelsey was forced to play 3-4 OLB for the first time ever last year, a position he NEVER should have been asked to play. It was fairly obvious that he did NOT do well playing that position. Did he argue or speak out? No, he did whatever the coaches asked of him, no matter how clueless George Edwards is....

However, Kelsey was arguably our BEST defensive player over the last 6 games of the season. Why? Because they put him back at 4-3 end where he was our most effective pass rusher. I am not talking about sacks necessarily, but being in the backfield and pressuring QB's/RB's on a consistent basis. Anyone who watches these games objectively will recognize this.

It is highly unlikely that Kelsey will play 3-4 OLB this year (barring injury), and he should see a lot of time in the Bills hybrid 4-3 formations. With KW and Dareus also on that line, Kelsey should get a lot of one on one blocking. I personally am happy to have him on our team. Plus, he is signed to an extremely incentive laden contract. This means if he produces, he was worth the money, if he doesn't produce, he gets a relatively light salary.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I am a Kelsay hater as well, however last season, I too noticed his marked improvement in the 2nd half of the season (especially the last 4 games). He went from awful to average. Hopefully a full year of this defense he'll go from average to above average, but I will never expect average to good or even great. If he can be an above average OLB, that should be enough... for now. His replacement should already be on the roster, or should be drafted next year.

We don't need studs at every position. We need 8 solid players, and 3 studs. Last year, we had 8 weak players, 2 solid players, and 1 stud.

I am a Kelsay hater as well, however last season, I too noticed his marked improvement in the 2nd half of the season (especially the last 4 games). He went from awful to average. Hopefully a full year of this defense he'll go from average to above average, but I will never expect average to good or even great. If he can be an above average OLB, that should be enough... for now. His replacement should already be on the roster, or should be drafted next year.

We don't need studs at every position. We need 8 solid players, and 3 studs. Last year, we had 8 weak players, 2 solid players, and 1 stud.

This is the key here, Kelsey is not, and SHOULD NOT be an OLB. Last year he started playing a position he NEVER played before, and struggled. This is where the hate comes from. The reason you saw that marked improvement last year, is because Kelsey went back to playing 4-3 where he belongs. Kelsey is not and will not ever be a superstar, but he is a solid hard working player. He should be very effective for the Bills this year in situational 4-3 work. I highly doubt you will see him playing much OLB barring injuries.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Did you watch the Pittsburgh game? I thought he was abysmal in that one. Also, don't see why we need him if he is only to be used when we run the 4-3, lotta money for a part time player. Would he be in during nickel situations?

Did you watch the Pittsburgh game? I thought he was abysmal in that one. Also, don't see why we need him if he is only to be used when we run the 4-3, lotta money for a part time player. Would he be in during nickel situations?

Only making $2M this year.

9/29/2010: Signed a five-year, $28.2 million contract. The deal contains $11 million in bonus money. 2011: $2 million, 2012: $3.5 million, 2013: $3.725 million, 2014: $3.745 million, 2015: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2278/chris-kelsay

The Bills picked up Wannstedt, a pure 4-3 coach. Expect the Bills to use 4-3 formations on a regular basis. Other than Kelsey the Bills really don't have any experienced 4-3 DE's. Like it or not, they need him.

Only making $2M this year.

What he said ^. Pretty reasonable IMO.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This is the key here, Kelsey is not, and SHOULD NOT be an OLB. Last year he started playing a position he NEVER played before, and struggled. This is where the hate comes from. The reason you saw that marked improvement last year, is because Kelsey went back to playing 4-3 where he belongs. Kelsey is not and will not ever be a superstar, but he is a solid hard working player. He should be very effective for the Bills this year in situational 4-3 work. I highly doubt you will see him playing much OLB barring injuries.

People have hated Kelsay around here for alot longer then just this last season.....

The game where he showed very poorly was the green bay game. In this game the TE was killing him. He can not cover an athletic TE. I have never really bashed him or praised him. I think the guy tries really hard. But i think the Bills asking him to cover a TE will cause huge match up problems for the D. If he is only making 2mil this year then no reason why he can't be a situational guy. My question is what is he best suited at, rushing qb or run Defense? Seriously asking, not being a smart ass.

The game where he showed very poorly was the green bay game. In this game the TE was killing him. He can not cover an athletic TE. I have never really bashed him or praised him. I think the guy tries really hard. But i think the Bills asking him to cover a TE will cause huge match up problems for the D. If he is only making 2mil this year then no reason why he can't be a situational guy. My question is what is he best suited at, rushing qb or run Defense? Seriously asking, not being a smart ass.

IMO, he is a pass rusher. He was never a sack artist, more of a Phil Hanson type. He plays ok against the run in the 4-3, but he gets blown away in the open field (3-4). And as you mentioned, cant really cover. Last year I thought he looked surprisingly good rushing the QB when they put him back at 4-3. He was a disappointment for a 2nd round pick, but he definitely fills a role for the Bills now. If the end of last season was any indication, he might end up being fairly valuable. All in my opinion of course.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

My biggest complaint was he always seemed slow/out of place/lost in pass coverage which did not surprise me at all considering the position switch. With another year hopefully comes improved play. He definitely wasn't as bad as some made him out to be but he was far from great. Time will tell I suppose.

Some people are losing their minds around here...

However, Kelsey was arguably our BEST defensive player over the last 6 games of the season. Why? Because they put him back at 4-3 end where he was our most effective pass rusher. I am not talking about sacks necessarily, but being in the backfield and pressuring QB's/RB's on a consistent basis. Anyone who watches these games objectively will recognize this.

Apparently I was watching a Buffalo Bills team from a parallel universe. Chris Kelsay our most effective pass rusher?! Bwahahaha. I almost spit up my cereal! Kyle Williams was our most disruptive pass rusher last season and this isn't even up for debate. I'm not talking about sacks either, Williams made a living in the opponent's backfield. Not only has Kelsay never been a sack artist, but his wide loops to the quarterback have rendered him ineffective more often than not. He has never gotten a lot of pressure off the edge. When other players force the QB to him, he can't even finish the play. I could go on and on all day.

IMO, he is a pass rusher. He was never a sack artist, more of a Phil Hanson type. He plays ok against the run in the 4-3, but he gets blown away in the open field (3-4). And as you mentioned, cant really cover. Last year I thought he looked surprisingly good rushing the QB when they put him back at 4-3. He was a disappointment for a 2nd round pick, but he definitely fills a role for the Bills now. If the end of last season was any indication, he might end up being fairly valuable. All in my opinion of course.

Chris Kelsay couldn't hold Phil Hansen's jock.