Whitner

153 members have voted

1. 1. Are you sad to see Whitner go?

• Yes, he was talented
    • No, he was overrated

He has talent (I would prefer to call it ability), but he also had the unfortunate expectations of being a number 8 pick . . . he just wasn't a high first round pick.

:thumbsup: He was a decent safety ... definitely didn't meet the dreams and visions of fans who expected more from a number 8 pick but Donte played hard and was willing to play in a variety of positions for Coach DJ who probably messed up any possibilities that Donte could have produced more than he did.

If he had not priced himself out of Buffalo, I think we would have seen him here and with our new front seven we just might have seen more from Donte.

All that being said ... I am glad he has moved on because it clears one name from the whiners list here on the board.

:thumbsup: He was a decent safety ... definitely didn't meet the dreams and visions of fans who expected more from a number 8 pick but Donte played hard and was willing to play in a variety of positions for Coach DJ who probably messed up any possibilities that Donte could have produced more than he did.

Ever hear the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none"?

Did you even bother to stop and think the reason Donte was switched around so much was due to his own inability to "master" a position?

If he had not priced himself out of Buffalo, I think we would have seen him here and with our new front seven we just might have seen more from Donte.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Ever since his rookie year, the upcoming season was always the season Donte was going to break out.

Now 49er fans get to say that year after year after year.

Two words...DaNorris Searcy

Are you serious? I just don't get the criticism. It's not his fault the Bills passed on Ngata for him. The guy played hard, was great in run support, and an overall good player. Gailey even said so. Searcy? Please. He'll be out of the NFL in 2-3 years.

It's funny, I was perusing some 49ers message boards, and many of the fans seem to think (due in large part to his draft position) that he will be the second coming of Ronnie Lott. They feel that he has underachieved because he has been playing in Buffalo, and now he will flourish because he is playing in San Fransisco.

That's how the fans of every single team feel about their free agent signings.