Fair Share

Untill you take a position on what fair share actually is, I can only assume from your postings that you will always define it as 'more,' regardless of whether they pay 50%, 80%, or 99% of their income.

i've already answered while partially humoring a silly, juvenile attempted trap. and gg and d/c don't seem to get that deducting business expenses as well as the individual business owners personal expenses would be doubly unfair to nonbusiness owners. anyone with any inherent sense of fairness would see this but guess who doesn't have that sense? obviously, fairness is an arbitrary concept but one on which a sizable majority of people can usually agree.

Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've already answered while partially humoring a silly, juvenile attempted trap. and gg and d/c don't seem to get that deducting business expenses as well as the individual business owners personal expenses would be doubly unfair to nonbusiness owners. anyone with any inherent sense of fairness would see this but guess who doesn't have that sense? obviously, fairness is an arbitrary concept but one on which a sizable majority of people can usually agree.

It's more juvenile that you don't get the question.

The comparison is not whether a business owner can deduct his business vs personal expenses, but why is acceptable for a business owner to deduct business epxenses but any individual cannot deduct personal expenses.

I'm sure you're old enough to remember a day when all personal interest expenses (student, auto, credit card) was deductible.

And who gets to determine whether one set of deductions is more fair than another? Why is you paying an someone to answer your phone calls a deductible expense, while me paying a guy to fix a roof on my house is not? Sounds like a handout to business special interests to me.

Damn corporate welfare.

It's more juvenile that you don't get the question.

The comparison is not whether a business owner can deduct his business vs personal expenses, but why is acceptable for a business owner to deduct business epxenses but any individual cannot deduct personal expenses.

I'm sure you're old enough to remember a day when all personal interest expenses (student, auto, credit card) was deductible.

because we (the govt) uses tax laws to encourage or inhibit behavior (duh!) do we really want to encourage more auto, credit card and student debt at a time when personal debt just hit an all time high? do we want to encourage business investment? the trick is to mold the tax laws and behavior in a way that is perceived as fair, balanced (sad that it gags me to use this noble phrase) and is actually effective at attaining these goals.

because we (the govt) uses tax laws to encourage or inhibit behavior (duh!) do we really want to encourage more auto, credit card and student debt at a time when personal debt just hit an all time high? do we want to encourage business investment? the trick is to mold the tax laws and behavior in a way that is perceived as fair, balanced (sad that it gags me to use this noble phrase) and is actually effective at attaining these goals.

And consumer spending is 2/3 of GDP, so why wouldn't you want to promote that economic growth? Yet another reason why you think business deserves a bigger government handout than individual?

So again, why is that more fair?

I wanted to give this a little thought before I responded.

So, if in your opinion, "fair" is defined by what the majority decides, then in any situation, what the "majority" decides is ALWAYS fair.

Untill you take a position on what fair share actually is, I can only assume from your postings that you will always define it as 'more,' regardless of whether they pay 50%, 80%, or 99% of their income.

Ok, fair to who exactly?

And WTF does fair have to do with our economic system. Isn't fair a rather subjective thing anyway?

Ok, fair to who exactly?

And WTF does fair have to do with our economic system. Isn't fair a rather subjective thing anyway?

Don't ask me, ask the Left who has made demanding that the wealthy pay their fair share in taxes a mantra. And that's the point of this thread: an opportunity to let their advocates spell out exactly what that means.

Do you support Obama's calls for the wealthy to pay their fair share? If so, what number is fair? Or are you rejecting his calls as devoid of meaning?

I wanted to give this a little thought before I responded.

So, if in your opinion, "fair" is defined by what the majority decides, then in any situation, what the "majority" decides is ALWAYS fair.

a fair and straightforward question that is not easy to answer....no, i don't think the majority is always right regarding the opinions they voice. i do however think that a significant majority have an inherent, internal sense of fairness (call it conscience or instinct) that they share. for instance, the vast majority of people don't think it's fair to steal from others, or to take out loans they can't possibly pay back or to default on those loans when they could possibly pay or to sell loans to people who they know will never be able to pay them back or to ... but do the majority of people act according to that conscience? usually, all though it seems less recently. nevertheless, we have what is ostensibly a representative govt. the majority's opinions should be acted upon.

a fair and straightforward question that is not easy to answer....no, i don't think the majority is always right regarding the opinions they voice. i do however think that a significant majority have an inherent, internal sense of fairness (call it conscience or instinct) that they share. for instance, the vast majority of people don't think it's fair to steal from others, or to take out loans they can't possibly pay back or to default on those loans when they could possibly pay or to sell loans to people who they know will never be able to pay them back or to ... but do the majority of people act according to that conscience? usually, all though it seems less recently. nevertheless, we have what is ostensibly a representative govt. the majority's opinions should be acted upon.

The entire basis of the initial question was based on the talking point-"Fair Share" that is being used by the Democrats in almost all of their public speeches when discussing the economy. The point is that "Fair Share" is a talking point to convince the public that the current tax structure is not "Fair". As with most cases of what the left does in demonizing an economic class, a political party, or a network, there is a motive in convincing their followers that things are not "fair". That's when I continually hear the mantra "Fair Share" used. And what I think we've discovered in this particular discussion is that it is a talking point without any thoughtful, rational basis and that rational , well informed people should probably not use the term just because the the leaders of the Democratic party and the media, that is left leaning, use it.

you "discovered" nothing with your disingenuous question. you unsuccessfully attempted to illustrate your preconceived conclusion. nice try though. :thumbdown:

How can a question be "disingenuous"?

Here's another question for you, one that you might find "disingenous"- Can people on the left have a rational, adult discussion without throwing insults?

Edited by Barry in KC

How can a question be "disingenuous"?

Here's another question for you, one that you might find "disingenous"- Can people on the left have a rational, adult discussion without throwing insults?

look up the definition and then honestly ask yourself if the adjective is apt

I defined my fair share w/in the context of my family and economic circumstances at any given time. With that as a guide, I donated, volunteered, shared, gave back and, in general, acknowledged and supported those around me. I continued this approach into retirement.

Now, however, I look around me and see waste, arrogance, mismanagement, and just plain lack of caring; so, I "dropped out." Since the various levels of government, and attendant agencies, don't appear to give a rat's @$$, I'm adopting their lead--I don't either. My new motto is screw 'em all, save six for pallbearers.

Yeah, I know, my values and expectations were formed decades ago, so I'm woefully out of touch w/ vast segments of the American population that have been forced into a subsistence level lifestyle by my having taken their job for thirty-five years. Hell, I don't even have any tattoos or an iPod (Nor am I interested in funding same for indigents)!

Then it is okay if I write off my corporate jet that I use to fly to DC to do some lobbying?

Then it is okay if I write off my corporate jet that I use to fly to DC to do some lobbying?

i suppose when you can only see in black and white, a corporate jet used for lobbying and paper for the copy machine are the same thing. nuance is not your strength.

lobbyists can't fly commercial?

Of course they can and most likely should. In fact it's possible that there are some IRS restrictions on certain deductions in which you might have to show "need" in order to deduct a private flight. Anyway, you should be able to deduct reasonable expenses in your efforts to make a living.

more expensive than buying paper...nuance isn't your strong suit either...but what is?

Not after you pro-rate the printer/copier costs, and annual maintenance therof, and cost of time...

And nuance isn't OUR strong suit? :rolleyes:

Not after you pro-rate the printer/copier costs, and annual maintenance therof, and cost of time...

And nuance isn't OUR strong suit? :rolleyes:

sure that's why most small business with heavy copier needs own their own copier :wallbash:

Edited by birdog1960

sure that's why most small business with heavy copier needs own their own copier :wallbash:

Wants. Not needs. Wants.

Actually they don't. They lease their own copier.

Like most private plane "owners" lease their planes?

Wants. Not needs. Wants.

Like most private plane "owners" lease their planes?

you are seriously making an analogy between copiers and corporate jets on the basis of need? you're working way too far into the limits of reason again...but i'm becoming accustomed to it. i get it ...they're both business expenses on an absolute level but i'm not an absolutist. that's what pushed into last weeks credit rating mess.

you are seriously making an analogy between copiers and corporate jets on the basis of need? you're working way too far into the limits of reason again...but i'm becoming accustomed to it. i get it ...they're both business expenses on an absolute level but i'm not an absolutist. that's what pushed into last weeks credit rating mess.

Why do you need a copier, when you can hire an unemployed person and have them write out the invoices and type out them out. Why not use a mimeograph?

Aren't business deductions great when they only relate to your business?

you are seriously making an analogy between copiers and corporate jets on the basis of need?

You're seriously claiming copiers are a need????

you're working way too far into the limits of reason again...but i'm becoming accustomed to it. i get it ...they're both business expenses on an absolute level but i'm not an absolutist.

And yet...

here's an answer: a sliding scale percentage ( the current progressive tax scheme would do minus the bush tax cuts) of disposable income. after paying a median rent/mortgage, buying food and transportation and without loopholes

This is like shooting fish in a barrel full of fish sitting in the full hold of a fishing trawler. :w00t: