Any Chance we Sign Whitner back

Nasty

Bill: I think he's a reasonably solid NFL player who gives his all, and we need those. I also don't think he's a bad person. I think the salary offer should be relatively modest, and if we come to terms with him, I'll be fine with it. Given the recent draft, though, perhaps the Bills have moved on. We'll see soon enough.

I agree he's a reasonably solid NFL player who gives his all. I also think his tweets have been blown out of proportion, and play far too large a role in a lot of people's thinking.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I see a fit. If George Wilson is better than Whitner in pass coverage, why should Wilson sit on the bench while Whitner is on the field? But if it's going to be Whitner on the bench, would it really make sense for the Bills to sign an expensive backup safety when they already have pretty good depth at the position?

If you think the Bills should re-sign Whitner, what role would you envision for him? Should he be a starter or a backup? If a starter, how do you feel he compares to George Wilson in terms of pass coverage and run stopping? If you envision Whitner as a backup, what other backup safety would you get rid of to make room for him? How many safeties would you envision the Bills keeping, and which safeties would they be?

I realize this is a lot of questions. But these are questions the Bills will need to answer before deciding whether to make another offer to Whitner. (Assuming, of course, that that decision hasn't already been made.)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I think Donte has burn his bridge in B-Lo. He is a good tackler but he sucks in coverage.

Second Wilson has made himself the better player. Like having Scott back there too plus they drafted Searcy who is bigger and faster than Donte.

But having said that I think they expected to much from a guy how they could have got in the second round maybe.

I hope he get on another team soon, he has talent.

The last few tweets between Donte and David Nelson

DavidNelson86 David Nelson

@DonteWhitner my man. What are you up to?

4 hours ago

DonteWhitner TWHITNER

@

@DavidNelson86 trynna come back home with the fam....how r u doing out there?

4 hours ago

DonteWhitner TWHITNER

@

@DavidNelson86 I know ur consistent w those hands like always!

4 hours ago

DavidNelson86 David Nelson

@

@DonteWhitner workin to give this city what it deserves. We know ur deal. You know we got you bro

3 hours ago

And there was another tweet about nix keeping the last spot for him... And whitner said he hopes so....

I went ahead and just sent a tweet to him asking where he landed... Buffalo? We will see if he responds

I also love how Nelson said that they are working hard to give the city what they deserve.... I like Nelson and hope he has more of a role this year...

I agree he's a reasonably solid NFL player who gives his all. I also think his tweets have been blown out of proportion, and play far too large a role in a lot of people's thinking.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I see a fit. If George Wilson is better than Whitner in pass coverage, why should Wilson sit on the bench while Whitner is on the field? But if it's going to be Whitner on the bench, would it really make sense for the Bills to sign an expensive backup safety when they already have pretty good depth at the position?

If you think the Bills should re-sign Whitner, what role would you envision for him? Should he be a starter or a backup? If a starter, how do you feel he compares to George Wilson in terms of pass coverage and run stopping? If you envision Whitner as a backup, what other backup safety would you get rid of to make room for him? How many safeties would you envision the Bills keeping, and which safeties would they be?

I realize this is a lot of questions. But these are questions the Bills will need to answer before deciding whether to make another offer to Whitner. (Assuming, of course, that that decision hasn't already been made.)

I guess I don't think that Whitner is as bad in coverage as a lot of people say. I think he's average. More importantly, he can play strong and free safety, and he's good in run support. Basically, he's far more versatile than either Byrd or Wilson, who are both one trick ponies. Byrd in particular has a lot of weaknesses that are gonna be exposed going forward. He's a lousy tackler. Granted, he's a ballhawk, but it's often feast or famine with those guys.