Plaxico Burress signs 1-yr deal with Jets

RT: @AdamSchefter: Filed to ESPN: Plaxico will sign w/ Jets. Confirmed. 1-year deal for $3,017,000, fully guaranteed.

9 minutes ago

One storyline this offseason was whether Randy Moss would land w/ Jets, adding another wrinkle 2 Pats-Jets rivalry. Looks like Plax instead.

8 minutes ago

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6820679/plaxico-burress-new-york-jets-agree-one-year-deal-sources-say

Edited by Rippedcity

Money sure does talk, but seriously who would you rather catch balls from Big Ben or Mark "Dirty" Sanchez.

Personally I would choose the former Super Bowl MVP. Just saying.

Now comes the debate:

Plaxico vs Braylon Edwards

Did the Jets upgrade the position or take a step back?

Braylon Edwards is in the prime of his career, where as Plax is 34 coming back from a 2 year hiatus.

Money sure does talk, but seriously who would you rather catch balls from Big Ben or Mark "Dirty" Sanchez.

Personally I would choose the former Super Bowl MVP. Just saying.

Now comes the debate:

Plaxico vs Braylon Edwards

Did the Jets upgrade the position or take a step back?

Braylon Edwards is in the prime of his career, where as Plax is 34 coming back from a 2 year hiatus.

Odd man out.

Git-er-done, Buddy!

This will be looked back on as the best free agency signing after the season is over. Best WR in the game IMO. The thing about Plax is you don't need an accurate quarterback just need to throw it high and use his positioning. He is all about using his height advantage over the CB. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a randy moss year one type performance.

A 2-year hiatus and not having a full off-season with the team will be tough to come back from.

Well, to be completely fair, no one had a full off-season.

Two years off/in the clink for being a :censored: ing idiot might have let his body recover a bit. Similar circumstances didn't seem to affect Michael Vick last year.

(Just to note: A fan of either of these guys, I'm not. If justice had been served, rather than legal maneuvering and chickensh-- DAs who dropped charges in exchange for plea bargains, they would both still be in jail.)

Two years off/in the clink for being a :censored: ing idiot might have let his body recover a bit. Similar circumstances didn't seem to affect Michael Vick last year.

(Just to note: A fan of either of these guys, I'm not. If justice had been served, rather than legal maneuvering and chickensh-- DAs who dropped charges in exchange for plea bargains, they would both still be in jail.)

Vick re-entered the league in 2009. And he was 29 at the time.

I'm not a fan of Plaxico either, but you really think he should still be in prison? Statistically speaking, driving drunk is a hell of a lot more dangerous than carrying a gun around and the typical punishment there is a 2-game suspension and a fine. I'd say Burress got levied a big punishment for his mistake.

This will be looked back on as the best free agency signing after the season is over. Best WR in the game IMO. The thing about Plax is you don't need an accurate quarterback just need to throw it high and use his positioning. He is all about using his height advantage over the CB. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a randy moss year one type performance.

Andre Johnson says hi. At the time of his arrest, Burress was averaging about 45 YPG for the '08 season. I predict he'll be a nice red-zone target for Sanchez but not much more.

Chickens888 DA's??? The guy did 2 years for shooting himself in the leg in public.

Plea bargains are the backbone of the criminal justice system. Offering a plea to a lesser charge is not the same as "dropping charges".

Chickens888 DA's??? The guy did 2 years for shooting himself in the leg in public.

Plea bargains are the backbone of the criminal justice system. Offering a plea to a lesser charge is not the same as "dropping charges".

Any crime committed with a handgun --- even shooting yourself in the leg / discharging a firearm in a public place --- is a federal mandatory minimum of 5 years. He also did not have a NY carry permit (he did have an expired Florida permit). He pleaded to 2nd-degree possession and reckless endangerment. Dropped/nollied/pled down --- you say pota(y)to, I say pota(h)to. If the laws on the books were actually enforced, maybe we wouldn't have politicians making hay by pushing for more gun laws that only affect law-abiders.

Any crime committed with a handgun --- even shooting yourself in the leg / discharging a firearm in a public place --- is a federal mandatory minimum of 5 years. He also did not have a NY carry permit (he did have an expired Florida permit). He pleaded to 2nd-degree possession and reckless endangerment. Dropped/nollied/pled down --- you say pota(y)to, I say pota(h)to. If the laws on the books were actually enforced, maybe we wouldn't have politicians making hay by pushing for more gun laws that only affect law-abiders.

He was never charged with a federal crime--you're making stuff up now! He broke a state law against carrying a loaded gun, the minimum sentence for which is 3.5 years. There were gun carry advocates who had a problem with him being charged at all.