No more Bills Radio Network for Albany, NY

This is how a fan base withers on the vine. Say what you want about it being Giants or Jets country, but there had always been a sizable Bills contingent in the state capital

A decade of losing will sure destroy your ratings though...

http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmedia/q103-stations-opt-not-to-carry-the-bills-this-season/7201/

Edited by Endless Ike

This is how a fan base withers on the vine. Say what you want about it being Giants or Jets country, but there had always been a sizable Bills contingent in the state capital

A decade of losing will sure destroy your ratings though...

http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmedia/q103-stations-opt-not-to-carry-the-bills-this-season/7201/

I lived in Albany for a number of years and thanks to NJ Giants training camp at SUNY Albany, its definitely Giants country. Also, being 2 1/2 hours from NJ as opposed to 4 1/2 from Buffalo doesn't hurt either.

Someone will pick it up.

PTR

I don't know. With the Jets and Giants, the football radio market is crowded as is. The Bills would have to make a good offer to stay in the Albany market. Although, I think the news station, WGY could be a contender to pick them up. Which is great seeing as I've been able to pick up their signal in the northern NYC Metro area.

I really hope the Bills get back in the Albany market. I knew some Bills fans in Bennington, VT who used to listen to the games on Q103. Looks like they'll have to start paying...

Edited by DollarBills

Someone will pick it up.

PTR

betcha 20 bucks

I lived in Albany for a number of years and thanks to NJ Giants training camp at SUNY Albany, its definitely Giants country. Also, being 2 1/2 hours from NJ as opposed to 4 1/2 from Buffalo doesn't hurt either.

It's definitely Giants/Jets, but i'd say its still a sizable minority of Bills fans...I can name three Bills Bars that I know of...I'm sure there are more that I've never been to.

Losing the radio station is not good.

There are still Bills fans around Albany, maybe not as vocal as in the past, but we're still here.

Giants training camp has definitely made an impact though. The Jets don't have near the following that the Giants do, and I feel like many more young people follow the Giants than in the past. The Jets may have even fallen behind the Patriots in the Albany area. The Bills are probably behind the Patriots as well, by the way.

Albany is a weird sports city. Smack in the middle of two of the most prominent sports cities in the country (Boston and New York). Whoever is enjoying the most success at any given time seems to be who has the locals attention. I'm not sure if that is because Albany is a town of frontrunners, or that fans of the different teams stay generally quiet when losing and become more vocal when successful.

There are still Bills fans around Albany, maybe not as vocal as in the past, but we're still here.

Giants training camp has definitely made an impact though. The Jets don't have near the following that the Giants do, and I feel like many more young people follow the Giants than in the past. The Jets may have even fallen behind the Patriots in the Albany area. The Bills are probably behind the Patriots as well, by the way.

Albany is a weird sports city. Smack in the middle of two of the most prominent sports cities in the country (Boston and New York). Whoever is enjoying the most success at any given time seems to be who has the locals attention. I'm not sure if that is because Albany is a town of frontrunners, or that fans of the different teams stay generally quiet when losing and become more vocal when successful.

bingo to the last paragraph. i moved to albany 20 years ago and there seemed to be a fair amount of us around. but when the bills opted to take advantage of the nfl's version of the federal government's extended family leave act---many drifted away. or, maybe they bought pats jerseys...giants jerseys....and now jets jerseys. by the way---on my way back from wny to albany after watching norwood miss the kick, i made it only to syracuse before hearing a radio announcer say "our NY GIANTS did it!". it made me sick to my stomach.

i finally bought a satelite dish to catch the games as the bills seemed to be relegated to "Yeah, we'll get 'em on, sure!" status.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone will pick it up.

PTR

No they won't. When the Bills 1st started here on the radio, they were a team that was contending for championships. In the past few years we've seen them dropped by the most powerful (in terms of distance from the area you could hear it) radio station in the area, demoted from AM to FM, and now dropped entirely. We also lost the pre and post game shows in recent seasons. It was as if they were just going through the motions broadcasting Bills games the past couple of seasons.

I think there's a reason many have overlooked. Obviously, we've lost the bandwagon fans of the 1990s, but there's another factor-the availibility of Bills games on TV. A diehard fan can go in 2 directions-1)Get Direct TV and Sunday Ticket, assuring one of seeing all the Bills games at home; 2)Just about anyone who lives in the urban or suburban parts of the area can find a place that has the Sunday Ticket within a mile or 2 from where they live. Since the ability for anyone beyond a casual fan is there to see the games easily enough, the only void left is the person driving around, who won't listen to the entire game anyway.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

My retail clients in the Albany/Saratoga area NEVER sell any Buffalo Bills merchandise. It's strictly Jets, Giants, and worse of all Patriots!

Albany is simply too far from Buffalo for the team to compete with the above three NFL teams.

That was even the case in the early 90's - the Giants were good back then, too! Remember Super Bowl XXV?

You should move here to the 'Cuse. Both Orange and Bills support BIG TIME!

Rumor that the Jets are going to replace the Giants at UAlbany for training camp!

Some people would rather listen to the radio call while watching it on TV at the same time.

I tried that but the radio broadcast was always a few seconds ahead of the television broadcast.

Still, limited Bills television and no radio broadcast in the Capitol of New York State. A sad state of affairs.

I live in Saratoga County, at one time we used to be able to call in phone votes as to which game to watch on the local Albany television station... The Buffalo Bills always won out over the NJ Jets and as a result the Jets fans claimed ballot stuffing by Bills fans.. I always found it ridiculous, the NJ Jets fans had equal oppurtunity to make as many phone calls as they wanted.. Now the local station shows the Jets over the Bills every time.. Radio was the only way I could follow the my team without going to a sports bar or getting a satellite dish.. Damn shame they dropped my beloved Buffalo Bills from coverage in the Albany area..

I tried that but the radio broadcast was always a few seconds ahead of the television broadcast.

Still, limited Bills television and no radio broadcast in the Capitol of New York State. A sad state of affairs.

The Bills should be on home TV 10 or 11 games this season, including all road games except the season finale at New England. I wouldn't call that limited coverage. I'll only have to go to a local place that has Sunday Ticket once this whole season.

The Bills should be on home TV 10 or 11 games this season, including all road games except the season finale at New England. I wouldn't call that limited coverage. I'll only have to go to a local place that has Sunday Ticket once this whole season.

The post above you from MyHorseAteTheKid seems to say otherwise.

Whatever, no problem here in the 'Cuse since we're of the Bills Broadcasting Network area.

The post above you from MyHorseAteTheKid seems to say otherwise.

Whatever, no problem here in the 'Cuse since we're of the Bills Broadcasting Network area.

Considering I analyzed the entire schedule for conflicts when the schedule came out, I know I'm correct. Here's my analysis & I guarantee its accuracy:

9/11 @Kansas City: Yes! No competition

9/18 Oakland: No, Jets will be televised

9/25 New England: No, Ch 6 has 1 game & they'll take the Jets @4:05

10/2 @ Cincinnati: Yes! No competition

10/9 Philadelphia: No, Giants will be televised

10/16@Giants: Yes!

10/30 Washington (Toronto): Yes! No competition

11/6 Jets: Yes!

11/13 @Dallas: Yes! No competition

11/20 @Miami: Yes! No competition

11/27 @ Jets: Yes!

12/4 Tenessee: No, Jets will be televised