The WILDBILL

So the bills have quite a few players tailor made for exploiting mismatches in wildcat/gadget plays.

I'm talking newly acquired brad smith, josh nesbitt, and even the pretty darn mobile tyler thigpen.

Considering these guys, plus spiller, fjax, and scoe, do any of yall think we will see a ton of chan's creativity on display?

I'm imagining college style QB option plays, phin's style wildcat, and hopefully some unique formations (like variations on the pistol).

Also, with the new rules in place this year regarding the dressing of 3 QBs, doesn't that basically allow for brad smith to be an extra game day player?

I'd love to see the bills take the league by storm (plus ESPN headlines) about their innovative offense.

Naysayers - I'm NOT talking about exclusively running the "wildbill," but certainly the prospect of gimmicky plays is sure to keep the opposition's defensive coordinators on their heels, right?

As long as it doesn't go back into the Bills supposed wildcat of last year, where regardless of which back was under center you knew it was a running play. Kind of negates any effectivness when the other team knows whats coming at them

As long as it doesn't go back into the Bills supposed wildcat of last year, where regardless of which back was under center you knew it was a running play. Kind of negates any effectivness when the other team knows whats coming at them

Brad Smith was a college QB, so he'll throw a few, and I could see the offense using more of the pistol as Fitz and Pigpen are accustomed to said system.

So the bills have quite a few players tailor made for exploiting mismatches in wildcat/gadget plays.

I'm talking newly acquired brad smith, josh nesbitt, and even the pretty darn mobile tyler thigpen.

Considering these guys, plus spiller, fjax, and scoe, do any of yall think we will see a ton of chan's creativity on display?

I'm imagining college style QB option plays, phin's style wildcat, and hopefully some unique formations (like variations on the pistol).

Also, with the new rules in place this year regarding the dressing of 3 QBs, doesn't that basically allow for brad smith to be an extra game day player?

I'd love to see the bills take the league by storm (plus ESPN headlines) about their innovative offense.

Naysayers - I'm NOT talking about exclusively running the "wildbill," but certainly the prospect of gimmicky plays is sure to keep the opposition's defensive coordinators on their heels, right?

I predict we'll see plays of this type about 2-5 times per game. Just a guess.

Okay I like Chan maybe the best since we had Marv as a coach, so don't get me wrong. But I think that I differ with his philosophy on the new schemes to a certain extent. I want the team to be able to eat clock with the ball on the ground as much as through the air. I just don't buy that the schemes he is devising are able to have us keep our D off the field enough.

It is pretty proven the NFL is just too big and fast for much of a wildcat(bill, whatever) system at least against good Ds for more than a few plays a game. It will not surprise and once the film is out, you have to think okay now what is next? Gimmicks don't work when they are telegraphed by personnel on the field (statistical tendencies are what are what coaches study these days). How long did it actually work for Miami? Also with a QB out wide it is a simple thing to just put a big hit on him and the play is disrupted and maybe the QB gets injured.

I find flaw with the spread but not as much because we seem to have enough players to take advantage of the opponents weaknesses. I think having a lot of small speed players on offense does lead to more injury though just like it did with our version of the 4/3 (and in fact once a few people got hurt so did the pistol spread scheme we ran last year). It also is only good for short yardage if you blitz pick up doesn't happen and that can cause injury to the QB. Also the times we used it last year that I didn't like it so much is when we are leading in the forth by a TD or less. Lining up 4 wide and 1 RB on 3rd down.....Maybe they could make that RB Jasper and I would like it better. I like the success (who wouldn't like fun games where we throw the ball around with success for a change after Jarhead) we had with it sometimes last year but I feel that there are better philosophies.

Schemes are important, the thing I admire about Belicheats 2 TE thing is that it takes advantage of a weakness in most teams defenses. Not that many have the LBs or Safeties to cover big TEs (and the best TEs have the talent to get open in the seams of those positions). Plus it has the option of being a run scheme. with 2 big blockers which is a pretty good thing in cold weather. Lastly there is a playaction component that can be utilized to keep the D guessing. It is also good to use against a constant blitzing team.

So in conclusion, I think you need big fast guys for a successful scheme both on offense and defense. I am hoping we have players who can fill the roles and stay healthy but I want a good (or ideally 2 good) TE/s, damn it.

I am hoping to be proven wrong by Chan this year but have my doubts.

Edited by bowery4

Also don't forget about the versatility of Squirmy Smurf aka Roscoe Parrish. This has the potential to be an entertaining offense. Combine that with a woeful defense we could see many 70 point games this season

Unless Chan reinvents himself and the offense, 70 points will take roughly 4 games to total.

If you don't have the players to run a power running game, it's stupid to try. Our strength, IMO, is the versatilty of our Wrs and rbs. we have speed all over the field with Roscoe, Evans, spiller and smith. Add them to a fred, a seasoned Johnson, upcoming easley and Nelson and we have guys all over the field that have to be accounted for. Teams that want to blitz, hopefully, will pay due too fitzs quick decision making, hitting the open guy. We have options, hopefully injuries don't ravage us, as they always do. It could be exciting.

Gadgets don't make for consistent performance, imo.

I'm hopeful we can get reliable "normal" running and passing plays, and THEN implement gadget plays to put us over the top.

So the question is then what do you do in the meantime before you have the players to form a reliable offense?

Gadgets don't make for consistent performance, imo.

I'm hopeful we can get reliable "normal" running and passing plays, and THEN implement gadget plays to put us over the top.

I agree. I remember when Smith would come in for the Jets in the wildcat--I always sort of breathed a sigh of relief. We didn't have much trouble stopping him, if I recall correctly.

I'm hoping Smith makes more of a splash as a WR and in the return game.

Unless Chan reinvents himself and the offense, 70 points will take roughly 4 games to total.

Well, last year (the first year with Chan) when Fitz did not go into the season as the starting QB and when Fred Jackson did not go into the season as the starting RB and when we were still sorting out our receivers and both Wood and Bell were not 100% and we had a grandpa playing RT and then a series of rotating RT's ... the Bills averaged almost 20 points a game with Fitz' starting.

So, if you add the benefits of Fitz as the starter from Day one, Jackson as the starter from Day one, an improved receiving corps plus a healthy Bell and Wood the only thing we can do is improve. If we get a solid TE or is Smith proves to be something special ... then there are more points on the offensive side.

Plus with an improved defense from last year the offense will get the ball back with greater frequency so that gives them more opportunities to score.

And, so ... hopefully not 70 point games but a Gailey coached offense definitely can put up 25 points most weeks. Chan does not have to reinvent himself ... he is always recognized for his offensive abilities.

So the question is then what do you do in the meantime before you have the players to form a reliable offense?

I would say you focus on trying to acquire the players to form a reliable offense, not grabbing more gadget players. I realize that the two things are not mutually exclusive.

Or the other option is to innovate something truly new that allows you to beat conventional strategy with less talent. An extreme example of this is the A-11 high school offense. A more moderate example would be the spread option offense in college. (The wildcat doesn't really count, because even at its peak, the Dolphins only ran it about 10 plays a game. They spent the bulk of their offense in conventional sets.) In the NFL, these kinds of innovations can only help you in the short term, because other teams catch on, figure out how to better defend them, and incorporate the best elements into their own schemes. Then you have to innovate something new.

Anyway, I could be wrong, but I don't see Gailey going down this road. I think we'll run a pretty conventional offense in 2011. Yeah, we'll be in the shotgun 4 or 5 wide over half the time, but that's pretty common these days. Definitely some non-conventional stuff in there (WildBill or whatever), but probably not much more than we ran last year. We'll see. Should be an interesting year no matter what.

I meant both teams together ie.)

3SunSeptember 26boxscoreL0-3@New England Patriots30-38

7SunOctober 24boxscoreLOT0-6@Baltimore Ravens34-37

11SunNovember 21boxscoreW2-8@Cincinnati Bengals49-31

Edited by justnzane