Overpay For Clabo And Whoever Best TE Is.....

Seriously, throw a ton at these two positions and be done with it. I bet fans would be happy and they can rinse their hands of free agency. Put the rest into resigning or extending their own and be done with it.....

Great plan. Design your player contract strategy around the short term satisfaction of the fans. Sounds like a Russ Brandon style plan (think T.O.).

How about saving some money for a LB?

PTR

Who needs LBs in a 3-4? Oh yea, we do. I am just thinking that they could secure two giant holes this year and then draft the LB of need next year. I think they believe a younger guy will step up this year and who knows.This year is pretty much a wash so get two guys on your radar while you can. If the Jets sign asogmowa or whatever the Hell his name is, the best available TE is going to be a MUST.

Great plan. Design your player contract strategy around the short term satisfaction of the fans. Sounds like a Russ Brandon style plan (think T.O.).

Solidifying your line and getting a TE that has been missing for the past 10 years is not exactly T.O. What I am saying is that it is a win win for fans AND management (if they have a clue)

Give Clabo 7.5 million a year, then go after Zach Miller. Pipe dream?

Clabo should command way more than $7.5M per year, Doug Free just signed a 4 year deal worth $8M per.

We're so far below the cap do we really need to save money?

After the rookies are signed they probably have $20M to spend, and you just spent $17M of it on 2 guys.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

It is really dependent on how they spend on the rookies, I was trying to figure this out yesterday and came up with anywhere from 13 to 19M, there is really a lot of play involved in what they can do still, also they haven't announced cuts yet. I think they will keep well under the floor so they can up Fitz and Stevie and who ever else is necessary during the season as the floor doesn't kick in until after it is over (they could also go over the floor by what is it 5%). If they are smart they can spend about 15-20M now and still have enough. 5M on Boss (but I don't think he will leave for some reason) and 8M for Clabo is not really over paying (I mean over the length of the contract).If my math is right, they can sign 2 FAs who are splashy (with out too much of a problem)and stay under the cap and not much above the floor, other teams can do this. It isn't really too much to ask if BN is really trying to get the best players we can.

Clabo would be worth it.

Clabo should command way more than $7.5M per year, Doug Free just signed a 4 year deal worth $8M per.

After the rookies are signed they probably have $20M to spend, and you just spent $17M of it on 2 guys.

Free is a better OT, $7.5M is about right for Clabo.

Interesting, I was under the impression that Clabo was the top ranked OT. Being that he went to the Pro Bowl etc. Is this based on position (right vs left tackle)?

Take a look at this... subjective, but still...

1. Doug Free, OT, Cowboys. Age: 27

Re-signed with Cowboys (4 years, $32 million; $17 million guaranteed)

Doug Free played exceptionally well in his first year as Dallas' left tackle. He'll command a huge contract this offseason.

2. Willie Colon, OT, Steelers. Age: 28

Willie Colon missed the entire 2010 season with a torn Achilles, but his recovery apparently has gone pretty well. Colon is an outstanding, Pro Bowl-caliber right tackle, so Ben Roethlisberger would love to have him back.

3. Marshal Yanda, OT/G, Ravens. Age: 26

Re-signed with Ravens (5 years, $32 million)

Marshal Yanda had a very good season, surrendering only four sacks. He's capable of playing both right tackle and guard effectively, so that versatility should help him this offseason.

4. Jammal Brown, OT, Redskins. Age: 30

After a very sluggish start, Jammal Brown played well down the stretch once he got over his hip surgery.

5. Tyson Clabo, OT, Falcons. Age: 29

Tyson Clabo is a pretty decent right tackle, but a Pro Bowl appearance may inflate his market value.

Run your football team like you're trying to please the fans, and soon enough you'll be sitting with them.

Spending the appropriate amount of $$ on a position (or two) of need hardly warrants that kind of response. I'd take the consensus of front office moves that were suggested by this board over the nonsense we've seen from the Bills front office over the course of the past decade...

Spending the appropriate amount of $$ on a position (or two) of need hardly warrants that kind of response. I'd take the consensus of front office moves that were suggested by this board over the nonsense we've seen from the Bills front office over the course of the past decade...

You miss my point. The GM of a football team should make personnel decisions based upon what he and his staff have evaluated, not the internet and call-in show rantings of fans looking for a big splash.

Do the fans occasionally have it right? Sure they do. But if any GM makes a decision PRIMARILY to please the fans, he already has one foot out the door.

He didn't satisfy short or long term.

We'll have a lot more than that as we recoup money from players we may release and money we won't spend on signing Poz nas Whitner. I would be fine with spending that much on two players that would be difference makers for us. Fill the other spots with underpaid average guys instead of the usual over paid average guys. Throw in some veteran minimum guys and we are all set.

You miss my point. The GM of a football team should make personnel decisions based upon what he and his staff have evaluated, not the internet and call-in show rantings of fans looking for a big splash.

Do the fans occasionally have it right? Sure they do. But if any GM makes a decision PRIMARILY to please the fans, he already has one foot out the door.

You don't seriously believe that Nix and Co would do that do you...? It seems to me that many people here have evaluated MUCH better than the front office have... of course, we have the liberty of making our own decisions without the "Ralph" influence...