Tyson Clabo

Frez

It seems to me that we've overpaid for guys in recent years - although, I can't think of anyone we've overpaid since Nix actually took office, except Green at RT - which was perhaps his worst move to date. Anyway, I'm of the opinion that if we are going to bring in three or four rather pedestrian free agents and pay them better than anyone else would even consider (Cornell Green as an example), I'd much rather not bring in three or four free agents, and just take all that money we would pay mediocre talent and put it towards overpaying (if need be) for a few really good talents. Less is more, in that regard, for me. And, let the holes created by not adding a few mediocre free agents (like the group of linebackers we brought in last year, who didn't really add much to our team) be filled with rookies and young guys, so we can at least see how they actually fare, and let them develop, like Moats and Coleman of a year ago showed, they were capable of becoming as good or better than the free agents we brought in.

That's what I think. Go a little higher for the good ones, and stay away from guys that are "fill in".

Anyway, if we are only going to attract average talent at the free agent level, then why not go with rookies and young guys, let them develop, let us see what they have - and, if we are going to lose with mediocre free agents, then who cares if we lose a little worse with the young guys, because at least we get rewarded in experience and draft picks that way. I think that is how a team avoids being constantly 7-9, or 8-8, always just missing the right draft picks, etc. Go all the way or don't bother!

I totally agree Sllib.

I would much prefer that the Bills make Zach Miller or Kevin Boss the highest paid tight end in the league.

Blow them away with an offer… both of them are excellent receivers AND excellent blockers.

Both of them are respected team leaders.

Both of them are young and in their primes. Neither of them has any baggage or negatives at all.

These are exactly the kind of players a team should feel comfortable overpaying and making the highest paid at their positions.

Except for the possibility of injury, either man would be as close to a guarantee as there is to significantly improve your football team.

It would be as much of a risk-free proposition as anything that exists in sports.

In support of sllib, I heard Ron Wolf once talking about the draft and his comments can be modified for free agency...

He said his goal each draft was to pick one or two difference-makers, Pro Bowl caliber guys. He didn't care where they came. Maybe the first two draft picks were busts but he got Pro Bowlers in the 5th and 6th rounds. This would be a great draft in his eyes. He said he didn't grade his draft by how many starters he got because you can find serviceable starters anywhere. Every team has 'starters' but only a few teams win much. The goal is to find impact players.

I totally agree Sllib.

I would much prefer that the Bills make Zach Miller or Kevin Boss the highest paid tight end in the league.

Blow them away with an offer… both of them are excellent receivers AND excellent blockers.

Both of them are respected team leaders.

Both of them are young and in their primes. Neither of them has any baggage or negatives at all.

These are exactly the kind of players a team should feel comfortable overpaying and making the highest paid at their positions.

Except for the possibility of injury, either man would be as close to a guarantee as there is to significantly improve your football team.

It would be as much of a risk-free proposition as anything that exists in sports.

and tight end isnt a position that is stupid expensive to pay for. i think its a great opportunity to get a league leader, and team leader at a reasonable price, even if you "pay too much."

what was clabos history with nix at SD? i remember there was some sort of connection out there but i dont think it was a tremendously promising one for us getting him to buffalo. didnt that axe clabo pretty quick? or something along those lines?

with all the talk of RT, LT isn't exactly a strong suit either. Knowing the Bills they wont go after any tackles in free agency but Doug Free would be the perfect bookend with Claybo and would show the players and fans that we are serious about improving and more importantly actually have a great line. I think the FO puts to much stock in marginal players hopefully getting better than getting proven players that are good.

Sturm's Cowboys analysis: Doug Free could be NFL's third-best LT

DOUG FREE

Position: Left Tackle

Size: 6'6, 320

College: Northern Illinois

Drafted: Round 4, #122 – 2007

Experience: 4 seasons

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110118-sturm_s-cowboys-analysis-doug-free-could-be-nfl_s-third-best-lt.ece

It sounds like they think they're set at RT w Pears. I'd love it if they went after Clabo especially after reading that article. If they decide to go after a RT he sounds like the type of guy they'd want.......

Edited by Amstel

and tight end isnt a position that is stupid expensive to pay for. i think its a great opportunity to get a league leader, and team leader at a reasonable price, even if you "pay too much."

what was clabos history with nix at SD? i remember there was some sort of connection out there but i dont think it was a tremendously promising one for us getting him to buffalo. didnt that axe clabo pretty quick? or something along those lines?

San Diego signed Clabo to its practice squad Oct. 5, 2004 and released him 6 days later.

San Diego signed Clabo to its practice squad Oct. 5, 2004 and released him 6 days later.

I dunno if that's good bad or ugly for us but I'd bet that our shot at clabo depends heavily on how those 6 days went down. (ie was nix a guy advocating for him, or not)

I dunno if that's good bad or ugly for us but I'd bet that our shot at clabo depends heavily on how those 6 days went down. (ie was nix a guy advocating for him, or not)

I agree with the OP on Tyson as this team still lacks talent on the line.

Honestly, I think the Bills securing the rights to any decent player in free agency is a pipe dream.

The problem is that Nix has stated that he doesn't like building through free agency, more then likely why he made the statement he was going to get some sleep the last time free agency opened. The other problem is that this is the same GM that brought in Cornell Green and paid him 3 million, then didn't secure an adequate backup at RT.

Lastly, I'm not certain that anyone on this coaching staff or in the scouting dept knows the difference between a good player / bad player at any position. Then I have my doubts about the coaches ability to properly utilize a great talent if they ever get one.

Not to be the pessimist of the group, but who on this board really believes that we are going to go after any free agents who are the best available at their particular position. Clabo, Miller, Boss, and those type of guys are too good to be true. We never bring in those types. We bring in the Cornell Greens, Akin Ayodeles, and Reggie Torbors. Never the top of the free agency class by any means.

Not to be the pessimist of the group, but who on this board really believes that we are going to go after any free agents who are the best available at their particular position. Clabo, Miller, Boss, and those type of guys are too good to be true. We never bring in those types. We bring in the Cornell Greens, Akin Ayodeles, and Reggie Torbors. Never the top of the free agency class by any means.

You mean like when we signed the #1 34 end last year? Picking up a top flight RT or TE would be very similar. I don't think you see a probowl LT, or nnamdi type corner - a 15M a year type of contract. Premium players at non premium positions would fit the MO

And I seem to remember money to merriman. No promise what that is going to be but.... He was certainly not a torber type signing.

Edited by NoSaint

"never" is a word you shouldnt use very often. Like in this case. We did sign the best LB in Takeo Spikes. We did sign the best guard in Derrick Dockery. We did sign the best ILB in Chris Spielman. We did sign the best OLB in Bryce Paup. Sure, it's been awhile, but nowhere near never.

I totally understand where you are coming from on this one. With that being agreed on I think things are different now with this team. I have more hope with this coaching staff than ever. Adding one very good free agent for the off season would not be surprising to me or unreasonable. My fingers are crossed and would love to see this happen. I have a very good friend that lives in Atalanta and he mentioned to me the other day that the word around there is the Buffalo Bills are very interested in landing Claybo if the free agency period ever begins.

I see good things for this team in the future. I have faith in Chan and the new coaching staff.

I totally understand where you are coming from on this one. With that being agreed on I think things are different now with this team. I have more hope with this coaching staff than ever. Adding one very good free agent for the off season would not be surprising to me or unreasonable. My fingers are crossed and would love to see this happen. I have a very good friend that lives in Atalanta and he mentioned to me the other day that the word around there is the Buffalo Bills are very interested in landing Claybo if the free agency period ever begins.

I see good things for this team in the future. I have faith in Chan and the new coaching staff.

I hope what you're friends are hearing is true and share your opinion about the future and coaching staff!

I hope what you're friends are hearing is true and share your opinion about the future and coaching staff!

Adding Marcell Dareus and another top dog on our offensive line would make our team a whole lot better in 2011. Cheers to the future!

I'm more of a Amstel Light kinda guy. :thumbsup:

Amstel Light

As the first importer to introduce light beer in 1980, we led the American light beer revolution with delicious Amstel Light. At just 95 calories per bottle, its unique mixture of barley and hops delivers a full – never diluted – flavor that’s just as tasty as regular beer.

Born in 1980

3.5% alcohol content

Just 95 calories – 35% fewer than regular lager

Edited by Frez

"never" is a word you shouldnt use very often. Like in this case. We did sign the best LB in Takeo Spikes. We did sign the best guard in Derrick Dockery. We did sign the best ILB in Chris Spielman. We did sign the best OLB in Bryce Paup. Sure, it's been awhile, but nowhere near never.

Not a bad list except for Derrick Dockery. Yes the Bills spent big money on him but he wasn't the best guard of his free agency class.

Eric Steinbach who went from Cincinnati to Cleveland was the top guard and most people rated Kris Deilman, who re-signed with the Chargers, to be the 2nd best guard of that class.

Adding Marcell Dareus and another top dog on our offensive line would make our team a whole lot better in 2011. Cheers to the future!

I'm more of a Amstel Light kinda guy. :thumbsup:

Amstel Light

As the first importer to introduce light beer in 1980, we led the American light beer revolution with delicious Amstel Light. At just 95 calories per bottle, its unique mixture of barley and hops delivers a full – never diluted – flavor that’s just as tasty as regular beer.

Born in 1980

3.5% alcohol content

Just 95 calories – 35% fewer than regular lager

I'm more of a Bob's Home Brew Light guy myself. I spent a fortune on several cold fermentation vessels and use a combination of American and European hops for that crisp, distinctive pilsener taste so rare in craft-brewed beers.

Born in 2009

4.2% alcohol content

No idea how many calories but much lighter than most IPAs

:)

Not a bad list except for Derrick Dockery. Yes the Bills spent big money on him but he wasn't the best guard of his free agency class.

Eric Steinbach who went from Cincinnati to Cleveland was the top guard and most people rated Kris Deilman, who re-signed with the Chargers, to be the 2nd best guard of that class.

I'm more of a Bob's Home Brew Light guy myself. I spent a fortune on several cold fermentation vessels and use a combination of American and European hops for that crisp, distinctive pilsener taste so rare in craft-brewed beers.

Born in 2009

4.2% alcohol content

No idea how many calories but much lighter than most IPAs

:)

This place just opened near me. Pretty good response so far, they are doing very well.

http://www.thehopsspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...