passer rating differential

From 1990-93, the Bills Super Bowl seasons, the Bills had a worse passer rating differential than their SB opponent. In 1991, they had a very strong number, +32.4, but the Redskins were +39.2. They were +25 in 1990, +4.5 in '92, and +11 in 1993. Here's how their opponents did:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3594_Top_Guns:_A_brief_history_of_NFL_air_superiority.html

Edited by dave mcbride

Interestingly, and for all the talk about how bad the run defense was this past season, the Bills defense allowed for unbelievably bad 92.6 passer rating last season. I think it may be the worst in team history, although I'd have to check the 70s/early 80s. Their pass d in 2009 allowed for a 61.1 rating. They dropped by 31.5 points last season. Forget the atrocious run defense - check out that atrocious pass defense! That's what happens, I guess, when you hire an offensive coach who in turn hires what is by all appearances a weak yes-man to coach the D. It's like Jauron in reverse.

PS - it's official: the 2010 Buffalo Bills had THE WORST PASS DEFENSE IN FRANCHISE HISTORY. There were two years where the D was close: 2001 (92.5) and 1984 (91.5). The 2010 squad, which gave up a 92.6 rating, therefore gets the cigar.

Anyone who thinks we don't CBs and safeties (and pass rushers, of course) needs to have their head examined.

Edited by dave mcbride

Interestingly, and for all the talk about how bad the run defense was this past season, the Bills defense allowed for unbelievably bad 92.6 passer rating last season. I think it may be the worst in team history, although I'd have to check the 70s/early 80s. Their pass d in 2009 allowed for a 61.1 rating. They dropped by 31.5 points last season. Forget the atrocious run defense - check out that atrocious pass defense! That's what happens, I guess, when you hire an offensive coach who in turn hires what is by all appearances a weak yes-man to coach the D. It's like Jauron in reverse.

PS - it's official: the 2010 Buffalo Bills had THE WORST PASS DEFENSE IN FRANCHISE HISTORY. There were two years where the D was close: 2001 (92.5) and 1984 (91.5). The 2010 squad, which gave up a 92.6 rating, therefore gets the cigar.

Anyone who thinks we don't CBs and safeties (and pass rushers, of course) needs to have their head examined.

Didn't the Bills have almost all the same players from the team that had a 61.1 rating? Is it really the players?

The two are related, obviously. We had a horrible defense last year, and the fact that our run D was a sieve partly explains why opposing Qs passer ratings were so high.

The two are related, obviously. We had a horrible defense last year, and the fact that our run D was a sieve partly explains why opposing Qs passer ratings were so high.

Agreed. I suspect that the secondaries first priority was helping the woeful run D and opposing offenses were set up

very well when the opted to pass due to favorable down and distance situations and DBs "cheating" to help against

the run.

How refreshing to be talking about football! Even ESPN has become a shill for itself lately, instead of, say, taking one team per day and breaking it down in depth (but I digress).

I think our defensive line will make the difference this year, and our linebackers and backfield will profit. Some level of trust has to return in order for players like Byrd to return to form.

BTW, since you like stats, Guess what LB's with more than 90 tackles had the best tackle-to-miss ratio last season? Mayo and Poz. Top LB's with over 50 tackles:

Kirk Morrison 69 tackles, 1 miss;

Spikes 92 tackles 2 misses;

Mayo 111 tackles 3 misses;

Bart Scott 52 tackles, 2 misses;

Michael Boley 57 tackles, 2 misses;

Poz 104 tackles 4 misses.

All other LB's had worse Attempts Per Miss averages.

[ source]

How refreshing to be talking about football! Even ESPN has become a shill for itself lately, instead of, say, taking one team per day and breaking it down in depth (but I digress).

I think our defensive line will make the difference this year, and our linebackers and backfield will profit. Some level of trust has to return in order for players like Byrd to return to form.

BTW, since you like stats, Guess what LB's with more than 90 tackles had the best tackle-to-miss ratio last season? Mayo and Poz. Top LB's with over 50 tackles:

Kirk Morrison 69 tackles, 1 miss;

Spikes 92 tackles 2 misses;

Mayo 111 tackles 3 misses;

Bart Scott 52 tackles, 2 misses;

Michael Boley 57 tackles, 2 misses;

Poz 104 tackles 4 misses.

All other LB's had worse Attempts Per Miss averages.

[ source]

Excellent info - thanks, Astro.

As to the question above about us having the same players as the year before in the secondary, I'd add that the pass rush was definitely worse. Coupled with mediocre players in the secondary, it's a bad situation. Coaching was certainly an issue too, it would seem, given how horrible they were.

As for trying to cover for the run, defending against the pass is more important given how teams score in the NFL today. Even if they had to cover for the run, there's no excuse for the terrible pass defense. That's priority #1 for any NFL defense. As I said before, it was the worst performance in franchise history.

From 1990-93, the Bills Super Bowl seasons, the Bills had a worse passer rating differential than their SB opponent. In 1991, they had a very strong number, +32.4, but the Redskins were +39.2. They were +25 in 1990, +4.5 in '92, and +11 in 1993. Here's how their opponents did:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3594_Top_Guns:_A_brief_history_of_NFL_air_superiority.html

Ya know what I love about that chart? It puts in black and white what a lot of us already "knew" -- namely, the Pats* choke in 2007 was absolutely epic. The Giants had a negative 10.4 differential.

:lol:

Ya know what I love about that chart? It puts in black and white what a lot of us already "knew" -- namely, the Pats* choke in 2007 was absolutely epic. The Giants had a negative 10.4 differential.

:lol:

Biggest choke in NFL history. Without a freaking doubt.