Robert Reich draws a bleak picture

Reich is an alarmist and Is so pro union that he can't fathom the fact they made themselves irrelevant 40 years ago.

Dare I say he is right about one thing? We do need a strong middle class in this country. However, this will not come through taxing the wealthy and growing the size of the government.

Reich is an alarmist and Is so pro union that he can't fathom the fact they made themselves irrelevant 40 years ago.

Dare I say he is right about one thing? We do need a strong middle class in this country. However, this will not come through taxing the wealthy and growing the size of the government.

Not about being pro-union, about being pro-middle class. I think he does make some interesting points about gains and taxes. Granted taxing the wealthy will not be the main answer to fixing the economy, but having tax rates at a smarter level makes sense. Now before I get hammered with those who believe we should never tax rich, what's to say that by lowering or keeping those rates where they are now IS the true answer. I see nothing wrong with raising rates a little bit to about 45%. I will agree with you that growing government and spending cuts should happen. I am sure though that we will disagree on how those cuts are handled.

I would much rather see our government spend money on infrastructure and operating assistance for mass transit that one building roads, etc. in foreign countries. I also agree with him about the middle-class being divided.. a lot of that truly is based on fighting for what jobs remain and over jealous of someone pay or benefits. Much of that is also fueled by being misinformed about unions. If I had a dollar for every post placed here about all union workers are lazy, good for nothing, want to strike all of the time, bullies, etc., etc. I would be loaded. Fact of the matter is that majority of union workers work paycheck to paycheck and receive fair wages/benefits.

Example of people being misinformed. I read a Q$A session on the Washington Post the other day some people were seriously asking questions about metro operators (bus/subway). Saying that those who are failing in one job, get promoted or moved into another job so that they safe. Bus operator not doing well, being moved to the subway, if they continue to fail being moved to the station house. Complete falsehood that for whatever reason people believe. Fact is that unions protect contracts and working conditions for their members, as a whole they do not protect bad workers. Most people usually do not hear about the people fired/let go from their position.

Not about being pro-union, about being pro-middle class. I think he does make some interesting points about gains and taxes. Granted taxing the wealthy will not be the main answer to fixing the economy, but having tax rates at a smarter level makes sense. Now before I get hammered with those who believe we should never tax rich, what's to say that by lowering or keeping those rates where they are now IS the true answer. I see nothing wrong with raising rates a little bit to about 45%. I will agree with you that growing government and spending cuts should happen. I am sure though that we will disagree on how those cuts are handled.

I would much rather see our government spend money on infrastructure and operating assistance for mass transit that one building roads, etc. in foreign countries. I also agree with him about the middle-class being divided.. a lot of that truly is based on fighting for what jobs remain and over jealous of someone pay or benefits. Much of that is also fueled by being misinformed about unions. If I had a dollar for every post placed here about all union workers are lazy, good for nothing, want to strike all of the time, bullies, etc., etc. I would be loaded. Fact of the matter is that majority of union workers work paycheck to paycheck and receive fair wages/benefits.

Example of people being misinformed. I read a Q$A session on the Washington Post the other day some people were seriously asking questions about metro operators (bus/subway). Saying that those who are failing in one job, get promoted or moved into another job so that they safe. Bus operator not doing well, being moved to the subway, if they continue to fail being moved to the station house. Complete falsehood that for whatever reason people believe. Fact is that unions protect contracts and working conditions for their members, as a whole they do not protect bad workers. Most people usually do not hear about the people fired/let go from their position.

Y'see, this why I stick to one username.

Interesting strawman. Could you please point out some of the posts of those that say "we should never tax rich?" And 1 other question, are you saying that even if the tax rates SHOULD be where they are at or lower, you'd like to see them raised to 45%? :huh:

And if I had a buck for every time you railed against such mistakenly, I'd have ~$4,700 extra. ;)

Interesting strawman. Could you please point out some of the posts of those that say "we should never tax rich?" And 1 other question, are you saying that even if the tax rates SHOULD be where they are at or lower, you'd like to see them raised to 45%? :huh:

And if I had a buck for every time you railed against such mistakenly, I'd have ~$4,700 extra. ;)

MANY people here say you should NOT raise taxes on the rich because after all they are the movers and shakers, they create jobs. I was saying that there is nothing out there that guarantees that lowering tax rates or keeping them where they are will create jobs or fix this economy.

Y'see, this why I stick to one username.

I have always had the same username too. Not sure that's something I should congratulate you on.

Interesting strawman. Could you please point out some of the posts of those that say "we should never tax rich?"

I personally crack up listening to progressives yell how we need to tax the rich more when, at last count, approximately 47% of the US pays no federal income tax.

Both liberals and neocons need to get with the times and start being practical. Neither side has the silver bullet- if they did, there would only be one side. Not to mention, the world has changed over the years- not all past successful tactics will work, not all past failures will still fail.

That is true of an economy, army or business.

I personally crack up listening to progressives yell how we need to tax the rich more when, at last count, approximately 47% of the US pays no federal income tax.

And I laugh when people say they should be taxed less.

Both liberals and neocons need to get with the times and start being practical. Neither side has the silver bullet- if they did, there would only be one side. Not to mention, the world has changed over the years- not all past successful tactics will work, not all past failures will still fail.

That is true of an economy, army or business.

In the context of the discussion, using these two characterizations doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

In the context of the discussion, using these two characterizations doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

For some reason, I can't view the video on my computer- I am just talking about the typical responses of both sides about moving tax cuts up, down and all around aren't always the answer. Sorry if I was too far out of the original context, as I am not sure what was said.

MANY people here say you should NOT raise taxes on the rich because after all they are the movers and shakers, they create jobs. I was saying that there is nothing out there that guarantees that lowering tax rates or keeping them where they are will create jobs or fix this economy.

You should not raise the taxes on the rich because its the right thing to do. It's the moral thing NOT to do. You see, what you and your ilk can't and will never fathom, is that the concept of taxation is immoral and even criminal. Taking the fruits of an individuals labor and redistributing it without the victims say is immoral.

Edited by Dante

I know. How do you tax people less when they don't pay anything in the first place.

Oh, wait. I know. You give them handouts and tax rebates.

How do you tax people less when they already have the money and assets to help them pay A LOT less anyway. You must be a millionaire the way you protect these rates.

You should not raise the taxes on the rich because its the right thing to do. It's the moral thing NOT to do. You see, what you and your ilk can't and will never fathom, is that the concept of taxation is immoral and even criminal. Taking the fruits of an individuals labor and redistributing it without the victims say is immoral.

Fair taxation is not immoral. Giving even more breaks to those who do not need them IS immoral.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I swear I found Waldo, proof that Mary Magdalane gave birth to Jesus' child, a cure for Cancer, and proof that life exists beyond Earth in the first 4 dots.

I'm still trying to decipher the 5th :unsure:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I swear I found Waldo, proof that Mary Magdalane gave birth to Jesus' child, a cure for Cancer, and proof that life exists beyond Earth in the first 4 dots.

Stop using the dots...

Micro dot? You know the purple acid is bad, right?

How do you tax people less when they already have the money and assets to help them pay A LOT less anyway. You must be a millionaire the way you protect these rates.

Fair taxation is not immoral. Giving even more breaks to those who do not need them IS immoral.

Who decides what "fair" is? You and your ilk? No thanks. Only truly fair tax is a equal percentage for everyone. Like a flat tax.

Edited by Dante