Tony Washington signs with Calgary

How Tony and his sister grew up is something none of us here should wish upon anyone. It was consensual and they were both underage. As awful a situation it is to me and many here, he deserves a chance to redeem himself. How anyone can view him as blasphemy is beyond me considering the circumstances. I hope he keeps growing as a man from all these tribulations and becomes a productive member of society. I'm glad some team is giving him a chance. Good luck to him.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one of 32 teams could have brought him in as a UFA. No risk involved. Why didn't one team out of 32 do that? IMO...fear of fan backlash.

A good number of quality posters on here would not have been involved in a backlash if Tony was brought in by the Bills it seems. Unfortunately it might be a minority who would support him.

I have no predictions to offer, but will say that I wouldn't be all that shocked if there was another incident of some sort of deviant behavior.

Sorry, but that's often the way this stuff works.

Bill, Growing up he was living in a very chaotic situation. He was very young when he was involved in a one time very awful incident. It occurred years ago. He hasn't had a hint of trouble since. I believe you are mischaracterizing his status by suggesting that for him it might be a pattern of behavior.

In a prior posting you used an analogy of a pattern of behavior for domestic abusers. I agree with you that domestic abusers are typically involved in a repetition of behavior. That doesn't apply in this case.

Tony Washington has worked hard to overcome his environment and a very troubling incident. He has put in a lot of hard work to pursue his dream of playing professional football. I hope things work out well for him.

Bill, Growing up he was living in a very chaotic situation. He was very young when he was involved in a one time very awful incident. It occurred years ago. He hasn't had a hint of trouble since. I believe you are mischaracterizing his status by suggesting that for him it might be a pattern of behavior.

In a prior posting you used an analogy of a pattern of behavior for domestic abusers. I agree with you that domestic abusers are typically involved in a repetition of behavior. That doesn't apply in this case.

Tony Washington has worked hard to overcome his environment and a very troubling incident. He has put in a lot of hard work to pursue his dream of playing professional football. I hope things work out well for him.

I hope you are right, and I do hope that this sister was not harmed too much by this. I'm 100% for a person being able to turn his or her life around, and I've seen in happen.

That said, life has taught me to be a bit more skeptical than are most on this thread. That's all.

Child molester? They were both teenagers… one year apart. It was consensual. Only you would characterize it as child molestation.

Your "characterization" of the situation is so far from the truth that you again have zero credibility.

And bringing up Mark Herzlich… the ultimate straw man argument.

In addressing your straw man argument, why don't you consider the fact that New England drafted Marcus Cannon in the 4th round less than 1 week after he was diagnosed with cancer while Mark Herzlich went undrafted 25 months after being diagnosed and 19 months after being considered fully recovered and "cancer free."

Sadly, you are the first person I'll have to put on ignore in a long time.

Your argumentative nature is annoying as hell but your stupidity is just too too much to bear.

Who told you it was consensual? His sister? No--she hasn't commented publicly. You heard it was consensual from articles that quoted him or two of his previous coaches--who of course have no idea if it was. When her 200+ lb brother decides it's time to have sex her, it's got to be consensual? Even if she told investigators that it was, you can't imagine any reason why she may have lied? That she wouldn't want him locked up and have no family at all?

"Chaotic" upbringing may lead to drugs and violence, but incest isn't one commonly associated with this. Washington didn't really own up to it when he told an NFL scout that where he's from, they do this all the time. WTF??

Anyway, my point with bringing up the kid from BC is that not being drafted in the NFL (and getting a free education at a Div II school instead of Div I) is not a punishment in any way. I think it's far less fair that the BC kid didn't get drafted because of fears he may someday have recurrent cancer than it is for the NFL to have passed on a troubled kid who would likely implode in the NFL.

I think you understood that before you unloaded with the phony righteous indignation.

Edited by Mr. WEO