good read on the welfare state

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I wouldn't be as stupid and arrogant as you and the politicians who think we can "end poverty".

Second, I wouldn't continue to enable and encourage poverty by providing cradle-to-grave handouts to people who are able minded and able bodied enough to provide for themselves. Especially when those handouts are at a level that almost ensures those people will remain in poverty and not have an opportunity to lift themselves out. If anything, assistance needs to be greater than it is now. But it can't be endless.

Third, I'd eliminate a significant portion of the endless government bureaucracy that controls this area. We probably need four different 'poverty' programs, not 400 or 4,000 or however many exist. We flush billions down the toilet on government paper shuffling.

Fourth, I'd fix the schools by outlawing teacher's unions, reinstalling standards of conduct and discipline and establishing curriculums based on the basics. Focusing on 'promoting self esteem' for kids that don't know how to read, write or add is pretty !@#$ing stupid.

Fifth, I'd change the tax code so that baby making wasn't an means to generate income. (I'd change just about everything else in the tax code too).

Finally, I'd continue to laugh at your foot-stamping angry liberal routine because no matter what, you'd still spew unoriginal ignorance and cry about something.

In other words you would just make the poor suffer miserably. Your Conservo nonesense that simply assumes--incorrectly--that welfare is making the poor poor and that cutting them off will inspire them to suddenly become middle class is so beyond stupid that it only shows that you are a tard. You have no solutions at all. Rambling Rush Limbo junk. I'm sure DCTom agrees, though ;)

In other words you would just make the poor suffer miserably. Your Conservo nonesense that simply assumes--incorrectly--that welfare is making the poor poor and that cutting them off will inspire them to suddenly become middle class is so beyond stupid that it only shows that you are a tard. You have no solutions at all. Rambling Rush Limbo junk. I'm sure DCTom agrees, though ;)

Boy, that's an even dumber and more cowardly response than I expected. Way to demonstrate your complete lack of reading comprehension and inability to make even the most basic critique on any point. But good job on the rare and innovative use of the "Rush" reference. :thumbsup:

Does affirmative action give money/placement based on individual achievement, or does it simply treat every black kid who gets through high school the exact same?

How does a black kid who's parents are high net worth from suburban Atlanta(who I know)....end up being treated the exact same affirmative action-wise, as a black kid from a single parent home in gangland(who I also know)? If they both ended up with the same test scores which one worked harder to get there?

Answer: wrong, no matter what you said, because you don't know either kid, do you? Which one has more ability? Which one has more needs? I could fill a convention center with the things you don't know about these kids....but yet you think affirmative action, and all the other poor(read: targeted towards blacks)/social justice programs are wonderful one-size-fits-all methods for solving the problem. How many more decades of your failing methods must we endure?

You know? I don't know why I even bother. You have no idea that they are completely different people, do you? To you they are just "black kids we have a moral obligation to care for", aren't they?

I think AA has outlived its usefulness, for the most part. But I would do a lot more to stop all this human wasteage going on. We could rebuild neighborhoods, communities and familes to make sure this generation of kids is the last one to have many slip through the cracks. No child should be brought up in an environoment that stunts his/her human development. The government should do more to protect these kids growing up arould violence, drugs, neglect and exploitation.

Boy, that's an even dumber and more cowardly response than I expected. Way to demonstrate your complete lack of reading comprehension and inability to make even the most basic critique on any point. But good job on the rare and innovative use of the "Rush" reference. :thumbsup:

Sorry, your ignorance is too deep to be reasoned with. You are just an idiot

In other words you would just make the poor suffer miserably.

Yeah.

Your Conservo nonesense that simply assumes--incorrectly--that welfare is making the poor poor and that cutting them off will inspire them to suddenly become middle class is so beyond stupid that it only shows that you are a tard.

No. I think they'll still be poor. But that's not my !@#$ing problem, is it?

I think AA has outlived its usefulness, for the most part.

Even if it hasn't, the basic problem with it is that it's open-ended and unmeasured.

I mean, if it's a program designed to achieve equailty...at what point do you have to say "You know what: we did it." At some point, the program becomes less a leg up against inequity and more an excuse for it. At some point, people who benefit from AA have to stand up and say "I don't need it, my merits are more than enough," or be just as much of a second-class citizen as AA tries to prevent.

Don't know if we've reached that point yet. I DO know that there's a powerful lobby (yes, among others, I mean you, Reverend Sharpton) that want to make sure that point's never reached.

I think AA has outlived its usefulness, for the most part. But I would do a lot more to stop all this human wasteage going on. We could rebuild neighborhoods, communities and familes to make sure this generation of kids is the last one to have many slip through the cracks. No child should be brought up in an environoment that stunts his/her human development. The government should do more to protect these kids growing up arould violence, drugs, neglect and exploitation.

The fact that you think "we" need to busy ourselves rebuilding other people's very existence(neighborhoods, communities and familes) says it all. Would I need help rebuilding my life? Would you?

How much pride in your own work would you have if, not only somebody else was doing it for you all the time, but also telling you why "you" needed to do it, then self-congratulating themselves on how they were able to rebuild your life, but then telling you to feel good because it's February and it's "your month"?

You think that a black man can't spend 20 years improving his house, seeing his neighborhood improve, kids grow older, feel a sense of accomplishment...unless you help him?

I can see it now: the new 9th ward in NOLA! Look at what Dave was able to do with these poo black childrins. Look how great he was at rebuilding their lives. Now, let's all GTFO of here and go to the dinner party where we can congratulate Dave, and where we don't have to be around the childrins no more.

This would be funny if it wasn't so utterly arrogant.

Yeah.

No. I think they'll still be poor. But that's not my !@#$ing problem, is it?

I agree with Tom on this, cutting of programs like welfare is NOT the solution it's deeper than that. Drugs our the biggest issue a youth in lower income areas face, the temptation to escape their financial woes through the quick dollar or to escape them through a lifestyle that doesn't progress them in society.

I haven't read much on this topic but what I wrote is my opinion.

Sorry, your ignorance is too deep to be reasoned with. You are just an idiot

Coming from a lemming who can't write or express a single idea other than 'keep doing what has been failing for the last 50 years' --- that's a compliment. :lol:

http://www.myfoxdetr...e-is-an-eyesore

At the risk of being called a racist, I've posted this link. That poor boy in his underwear at 5:00pm sure needs a boost up.

That reporter is pretty funny. Obviously that kid just needs some opportunities in life.

http://www.myfoxdetr...e-is-an-eyesore

At the risk of being called a racist, I've posted this link. That poor boy in his underwear at 5:00pm sure needs a boost up.

Racist!

Both you and Dave!

Racists!

See, I can do it too. Hey this is actually kind of fun, you don't have to think, just yell Racist!

The only difference is: when I call Dave a racist, I can actually back it up.

EDIT: well, perhaps not able to back up racist...but arrogant? Yeah, I think that one's pretty well nailed.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I agree with Tom on this, cutting of programs like welfare is NOT the solution it's deeper than that. Drugs our the biggest issue a youth in lower income areas face, the temptation to escape their financial woes through the quick dollar or to escape them through a lifestyle that doesn't progress them in society.

I haven't read much on this topic but what I wrote is my opinion.

That's "scamp" to you, schmuck.

Racist!

Both you and Dave!

Racists!

See, I can do it too. Hey this is actually kind of fun, you don't have to think, just yell Racist!

The only difference is: when I call Dave a racist, I can actually back it up.

EDIT: well, perhaps not able to back up racist...but arrogant? Yeah, I think that one's pretty well nailed.

Don't forget stupid. Intensely so.

No Mossberg action anywhere between tire tracks? - I officially pronounce Tom as soft and will contact the NRA to have his membership in all things manly revoked.

No.

I'm more of an edged-weapon man, myself...

Let me illustrate a poor person's thinking from an example of the average poor person (white/black/spanish/otherwise) that I encounter in my line of work on a daily basis:

Me: "That policy costs $250 a month."

Them: "How the hell am I supposed to pay for that? why isn't the government doing anything about that?"

It's not about race, it's about an entitlement mentality among ALL americans. There's this rampant belief out there that we're all owed something in life, and we're not. Some people win, some people lose. In the end, you gotta do what you gotta do for yourself because it ain't my fault you're poor. It's yours.