The Real Deal on Stevie vs Lee

PDaDdy

The video below is a perfect example of what Fitz, Lee and Stevie can all accomplish when on the same page. Many have discussed Stevies drop off in the second half of the season only getting TDs in 2 of 8 games after a great start. I think this was in large part due to Roscoe Parrish getting hurt and eventually being put on IR. Lee had some decent games throughout the season here and there but not enough production out of a talented WR.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills-Focus-Ryan-Fitzpatrick-vs-Baltimore/bee86eb5-e305-4ec1-856e-fa97cffc11d5

You see what happens when you leave Lee in single coverage. To the HOUSE! The WRs all worked well off of each other and profited from defenders loosing discipline and trying to jump routes and Fitz made them pay. Something that gets lost in the ridiculous Stevie Johnson supporters vs the Lee Evans Haters argument is that Roscoe really had a huge impact in my opinion on both of their performances but in particular Stevie Johnson.

Stevie is not a speed burner but when the way is cleared by 2 4.3 speed WRs he eats up single coverage. If we actually have an off season this year and Fitz can get quality reps with Lee Evans to get his timing and comfort level down with him like he had all of the other 2nd string WRs he had such a good rapport with we are looking good for next year. Throw in Easley and the other emerging WR and WR starts to look like a strength if we would stop being so hyper critical of them and the QB. Fitz isn't Peyton Manning, Big Ben or Tom Brady...we get it. He is however a QB that can be very effective and should improve coming into the season as the starter.

Stevie, Lee AND Parrish all can, have and should play off or each other. Somebody has to draw the doubles to get the other guys free. Often a defense would rather give you single coverage on a possession WR who is dangerous in the short to intermediate game than a burner that will torch you in the long game.

Edited by PDaDdy

I hear ya. I thought this topic deserved it's own thread because of the silly bickering between the Johnson supporters/Lee haters and the Lee supporters is pretty dumb. It did not appear that was the focus of your thread merely that the video existed. If that is your point you might want to change the subject or your initial post to address that.

Not trying to create duplication of effort here just focus on the silly fight between the Lee and the Stevie guys like you can't be both and how they were both helped greatly by Roscoe Parrish.

Edited by PDaDdy

What is also talked about a lot was Fitzie's drop off in numbers as the season went on.....but they refuse to equate it to the injuries the team took on at wide receiver as the season progressed. Forget about the turnstile that was the RT position......this was the single biggest killer of our season besides the lack of stopping the run.

Parrish cant stay healthy....if he ever could.....he is a important weapon in the offense

Lee stretched the field and was the best at it

Stevie reminds me so much of Andre Reed.......who would take underneath stuff and turn it into something

Throw in Marcus Easley into this group.....we might actually have something here if they could stay healthy

I think that is why you dont have dessention on the team even with the horrible season....they know they COULD BE very good. And it also explains the big push for defense in the last draft....the pieces on offense (except the tight end...but Easley could play a H back role like Shannon Sharpe) are there.

I hear ya. I thought this topic deserved it's own thread because of the silly bickering between the Johnson supporters/Lee haters and the Lee supporters is pretty dumb. It did not appear that was the focus of your thread merely that the video existed. If that is your point you might want to change the subject or your initial post to address that.

Not trying to create duplication of effort here just focus on the silly fight between the Lee and the Stevie guys like you can't be both and how they were both helped greatly by Roscoe Parrish.

That's fine PDaDdy… either way.

My post wasn't theme-specific so it would be impossible to "hijack" it in that regard. Anyone could have replied with anything on it because there was no single point.

I'd also say that I'd rather have a post "hijacked" than have a redundant one in most cases… as long as it's not being used for an idiotic crusade… like paintmyhouse using it as yet another opportunity to bash Fitz.

I would also say that if you're going to start a redundant topic (same video as the starting point) that you offer a disclaimer stating this at the outset.

But it's no big deal.

The video below is a perfect example of what Fitz, Lee and Stevie can all accomplish when on the same page. Many have discussed Stevies drop off in the second half of the season only getting TDs in 2 of 8 games after a great start. I think this was in large part due to Roscoe Parrish getting hurt and eventually being put on IR.

This is the kind of thing that has everyone so confused on SJ. He did not get off to a great start, but stat checkers think he did because his stats at the end of the game looked strong. Truth is, in Fitz's first 3 starts, SJ was the beneficiary of late game yards, receptions, and a TD is mostly garbage time which heavily skewed his stats on a stat sheet look substantially more productive than he was on the field. He actually was pretty ineffective for long stretches of games in a majority of his starts.

The truth on him is that his production did not drop off, it was never very significant to begin with in terms of a consistency basis or being a difference maker on the field. He did have some good games, but most of his outings were very forgettable and he was the beneficiary of a lot of meaningless stats when there was not a lot to play for late in the game.

Dont get me wrong, it was still a break out year for him, I am still high on him, but he has a lot of work to do before he becomes a legitimate #1 WR. He came up short too often in key moments, and was literally invisible more often than not when the game still mattered. He was a great Fantasy Football addition, but his on field impact was mediocre at best.

What is also talked about a lot was Fitzie's drop off in numbers as the season went on.....but they refuse to equate it to the injuries the team took on at wide receiver as the season progressed. Forget about the turnstile that was the RT position......this was the single biggest killer of our season besides the lack of stopping the run.

Parrish cant stay healthy....if he ever could.....he is a important weapon in the offense

Stevie reminds me so much of Andre Reed.......who would take underneath stuff and turn it into something

Throw in Marcus Easley into this group.....we might actually have something here if they could stay healthy

I think that is why you dont have dessention on the team even with the horrible season....they know they COULD BE very good. And it also explains the big push for defense in the last draft....the pieces on offense (except the tight end...but Easley could play a H back role like Shannon Sharpe) are there.

Right on man. That is what I am saying. We have a bunch of good guys and there is this group of people that are all about Stevie Johnson is god Fitz and Lee suck. You would think Johnson is throwing the ball to himself out ther going 1 against 11.

Roscoe with his speed and elusiveness were a big factor in some of our success last year. Those 3 guys were working quite well together.

That's fine PDaDdy… either way.

My post wasn't theme-specific so it would be impossible to "hijack" it in that regard. Anyone could have replied with anything on it because there was no single point.

I'd also say that I'd rather have a post "hijacked" than have a redundant one in most cases… as long as it's not being used for an idiotic crusade… like paintmyhouse using it as yet another opportunity to bash Fitz.

I would also say that if you're going to start a redundant topic (same video as the starting point) that you offer a disclaimer stating this at the outset.

But it's no big deal.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but I could start a topic called Buffalo Bills that was generic and then hop on to any thread that anyone ever made and accuse them of being redundant. I'm not in this to get my response count up or whatever some people care about. I am addressing a specific topic that was not in any way mentioned in your thread. We are both referencing the same video but talking about completely different things.

This is the kind of thing that has everyone so confused on SJ. He did not get off to a great start, but stat checkers think he did because his stats at the end of the game looked strong. Truth is, in Fitz's first 3 starts, SJ was the beneficiary of late game yards, receptions, and a TD is mostly garbage time which heavily skewed his stats on a stat sheet look substantially more productive than he was on the field. He actually was pretty ineffective for long stretches of games in a majority of his starts.

The truth on him is that his production did not drop off, it was never very significant to begin with in terms of a consistency basis or being a difference maker on the field. He did have some good games, but most of his outings were very forgettable and he was the beneficiary of a lot of meaningless stats when there was not a lot to play for late in the game.

Dont get me wrong, it was still a break out year for him, I am still high on him, but he has a lot of work to do before he becomes a legitimate #1 WR. He came up short too often in key moments, and was literally invisible more often than not when the game still mattered. He was a great Fantasy Football addition, but his on field impact was mediocre at best.

A cold day in hell it must be dawg. For the most part we agree on something. I am really happy with SJ and his emergence but he does need to work on his consistency and unfortunately a lot of the stats were in catch up mode in games where we couldn't get caught up to get the win. His TD production was also limited to only a few games with as you mentioned large periods of time where he disappeared a little. Lee has had the same problem as well but suffers from almost constant double teams. When Lee is not doubled like you saw in the video he is VERY dangerous. You just need a QB that can make up their mind and stick the ball in there. Trent couldn't or wouldn't. Fitz is at least capable of it. We need more WR to challenge the defense. SJ is stepping up and so was Parrish until week 9.

The video below is a perfect example of what Fitz, Lee and Stevie can all accomplish when on the same page. Many have discussed Stevies drop off in the second half of the season only getting TDs in 2 of 8 games after a great start. I think this was in large part due to Roscoe Parrish getting hurt and eventually being put on IR. Lee had some decent games throughout the season here and there but not enough production out of a talented WR.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills-Focus-Ryan-Fitzpatrick-vs-Baltimore/bee86eb5-e305-4ec1-856e-fa97cffc11d5

You see what happens when you leave Lee in single coverage. To the HOUSE! The WRs all worked well off of each other and profited from defenders loosing discipline and trying to jump routes and Fitz made them pay. Something that gets lost in the ridiculous Stevie Johnson supporters vs the Lee Evans Haters argument is that Roscoe really had a huge impact in my opinion on both of their performances but in particular Stevie Johnson.

Stevie is not a speed burner but when the way is cleared by 2 4.3 speed WRs he eats up single coverage. If we actually have an off season this year and Fitz can get quality reps with Lee Evans to get his timing and comfort level down with him like he had all of the other 2nd string WRs he had such a good rapport with we are looking good for next year. Throw in Easley and the other emerging WR and WR starts to look like a strength if we would stop being so hyper critical of them and the QB. Fitz isn't Peyton Manning, Big Ben or Tom Brady...we get it. He is however a QB that can be very effective and should improve coming into the season as the starter.

Stevie, Lee AND Parrish all can, have and should play off or each other. Somebody has to draw the doubles to get the other guys free. Often a defense would rather give you single coverage on a possession WR who is dangerous in the short to intermediate game than a burner that will torch you in the long game.

All three, at their best, are possibly the worst trio of receivers in the league. I am neither Stevie lover nor hater, he is a great 7th round pick but not a great receiver. I became a Lee "hater" as I believe he quit three years ago. At one time I thought Lee could become one of the best WRs the Bills ever had, but just like Palin he quit for the money. IMO Roscoe's best days are over, too little and too late, blame DJ if you want, who cares, but Roscoe never produced and when given a chance he broke down because he is too small. I have never seen him create a big play from the line of scrimmage and if you are a small guy you have to do that. In 5 years not one big play from the LOS, not one. Plenty more puny guys where that came from.

Carefull there buddy.You came awful close to saying its a team sport and all us posters know how wrong that is!

You forgot David Nelson who had an outstanding 2nd half and was our best WR. I think Nelson will start ahead of Easley. Nelson is a player with instincts and will overcome his lack of speed.

You forgot David Nelson who had an outstanding 2nd half and was our best WR. I think Nelson will start ahead of Easley. Nelson is a player with instincts and will overcome his lack of speed.

Actually.....I left out Nelson and I didnt mean to.....did a great job last season.

They are not talking about it but I am HOPING that they plan to use Easley in more of an "H Back" role....

- One of the best blocking wideouts the year he came out

- Huge for a wideout.....not quite as big as a TE.....great speed.......I think that there are packages that he will excel at.

Carefull there buddy.You came awful close to saying its a team sport and all us posters know how wrong that is!

It's a team sport. There...I said it. lol

Nelson to be sure seems like another ufa gem we might have found. What I really wonder about it is is the front office that good at finding late round or UFA gems at the WR position or is Fitz making them look better than they are? WR is definitely not a problem for us in my mind. In all honesty I don't know how we will keep them all involved unless we regularly start running 4 WR sets.

All three, at their best, are possibly the worst trio of receivers in the league. I am neither Stevie lover nor hater, he is a great 7th round pick but not a great receiver. I became a Lee "hater" as I believe he quit three years ago. At one time I thought Lee could become one of the best WRs the Bills ever had, but just like Palin he quit for the money. IMO Roscoe's best days are over, too little and too late, blame DJ if you want, who cares, but Roscoe never produced and when given a chance he broke down because he is too small. I have never seen him create a big play from the line of scrimmage and if you are a small guy you have to do that. In 5 years not one big play from the LOS, not one. Plenty more puny guys where that came from.

aren't we just one big frigging ray of sunshine