R.I.P. Former Original Buffalo Bill Bob Callahan

KRC

R.I.P. Bob Callahan. He played for the original Buffalo Bills for two years. After he retired from playing, he joined the FBI. I spoke to him a few years ago. Real nice guy.

R.I.P. Bob Callahan. He played for the original Buffalo Bills for two years. After he retired from playing, he joined the FBI. I spoke to him a few years ago. Real nice guy.

So, Ken, that would have been the old 1946-49 AAFC Buffalo Bills, no?

These guys???

post-2970-001054500 1308085879_thumb.gif

So, Ken, that would have been the old 1946-49 AAFC Buffalo Bills, no?

These guys???

Yup. One of the Original Buffalo Bills. There are not too many left. I have about 10 in my little black book, with one or two that I have not been able to contact.

Yup. One of the Original Buffalo Bills. There are not too many left. I have about 10 in my little black book, with one or two that I have not been able to contact.

That's awesome, Ken! Thank you for your work!:worthy:

R.I.P. Mr. Callahan.

I imagine the list gets shorter with every passing year, but the stories must be great to hear.

(I was hoping that old logo would somehow re-appear this season, in the new uniforms or some other form of marketing, but I guess it's truly a thing of the past.)

Do you really spend time on this? I frankly find that remarkable; and not in a mocking way.

What else is in that book? Any Union, Confederate or Slave widows? Anyone that went up San Juan Hill with the Rough RIders? Do you remember the Maine? 49.40 or Fight! Tippecanoe and Tyler too? Go Preston Rhidlehuber!

Do you really spend time on this? I frankly find that remarkable; and not in a mocking way.

What else is in that book? Any Union, Confederate or Slave widows? Anyone that went up San Juan Hill with the Rough RIders? Do you remember the Maine? 49.40 or Fight! Tippecanoe and Tyler too? Go Preston Rhidlehuber!

If you're interested, you can check out some of Ken's work...

here

and...

here

Personally, until I saw some of Ken's posts and other work that piqued my own interest, I never knew Buffalo AND Rochester NFL teams back in the 1920s and, in 1949, the AAFC Bills team was almost absorbed into the current NFL along with the old Cleveland Browns, the SF 49ers, and old Baltimore Colts (now the new Cleveland Browns).

It's fascinating stuff - particularly the original team locations and over-the-decades relocations, dissolutions, and reincarnations part - for some of us anyway.

Yes, I spend a lot of time on football history. I run the Professional Football Researchers Association, a non-profit educational organization dedicated to pro football history. We have been around since 1979 and have over 450 members in 11 countries. Football history is my passion.

I imagine the list gets shorter with every passing year, but the stories must be great to hear.

(I was hoping that old logo would somehow re-appear this season, in the new uniforms or some other form of marketing, but I guess it's truly a thing of the past.)

I love talking to players. A lot of times, their stories outside of football are far more interesting than the ones on the field. However, there is no substitute for the inside-the-huddle stuff they tell me. Remarkable men and I am doing everything I can to preserve their legacy. Bob Callahan was one of those players.

If you're interested, you can check out some of Ken's work...

here

and...

here

Personally, until I saw some of Ken's posts and other work that piqued my own interest, I never knew Buffalo AND Rochester NFL teams back in the 1920s and, in 1949, the AAFC Bills team was almost absorbed into the current NFL along with the old Cleveland Browns, the SF 49ers, and old Baltimore Colts (now the new Cleveland Browns).

It's fascinating stuff - particularly the original team locations and over-the-decades relocations, dissolutions, and reincarnations part - for some of us anyway.

Shameless plug...

The Original Buffalo Bills: A History of the All-America Football Conference Team, 1946-1949

It is unfortunate that I was not able to get a hold of Bob Callahan before this book went to the publisher. I would have loved to have added his story.

Turmoil vs. Triumph: The History of the Syracuse Athletic Association Football Team (18901900)

Yes, I spend a lot of time on football history. I run the Professional Football Researchers Association, a non-profit educational organization dedicated to pro football history. We have been around since 1979 and have over 450 members in 11 countries. Football history is my passion.

I love talking to players. A lot of times, their stories outside of football are far more interesting than the ones on the field. However, there is no substitute for the inside-the-huddle stuff they tell me. Remarkable men and I am doing everything I can to preserve their legacy. Bob Callahan was one of those players.

Shameless plug...

The Original Buffalo Bills: A History of the All-America Football Conference Team, 1946-1949

It is unfortunate that I was not able to get a hold of Bob Callahan before this book went to the publisher. I would have loved to have added his story.

Turmoil vs. Triumph: The History of the Syracuse Athletic Association Football Team (1890–1900)

I have a copy of "The Original Buffalo Bills: A History of the All-America Football Conference Team, 1946-1949", it is an excellent book! :thumbsup: