What other pro teams can learn from Mavs win

Hplarrm

My favorite stat that I heard on the radio this morning, don't know how accurate it is. 0 players on the roster have ever won a championship before.

Well deserved by all of them... at least the ones that played anyways. :D

The stat is mostly correct. 0 for a NBA title but Jason Terry won an NCAA title

with Arizona in 1997 playing with Mike Bibby of the Heat.

Not sure that points 1 and 3 stand up really well when the owner you are using as an example is... Mark Cuban.

It's not like Dallas has sucked for a decade and only turned it around recently.

They've been perennial contenders THANKS to Cuban's money, and REGARDLESS of his shenanigans. The BIGGEST difference this year was that the Lakers fell apart.

Good one! Give hem a minute, I'm sure that's coming.

My favorite part is that we should eliminate all the owners and replace them with......new owners.

I have nothing against owners per se, just I insist on when judging an owner one should recognize the good and the bad. Ralph deserves ton of credit for keeping the team here when there likely was more money for him to make as an individual elsewhere.

However, as well as this well deserved credit an honest appraisal of him must acknowledge that he also deserves primary blame for the 0 for a decade + playoff less streak.

As far as the relative role of the pro football owner versus the other major sports owners, the NFL is singular in that no other sport has seen its owners suck off the public teat like the NFL which has gotten colleges to bear virtually the entire cost of training and developing their talent.

The cost borne by the owners of other major sports like MLB and the NHL (and to some extent by the NBA though tax and other dollars subsidize their player training and development costs they actually lose money on speculation even higher than other sports).

I think the main story here which an amazingly significant number of posters seem to fail to see is that:

1. NFL owners were once essential to the sport because few sources of capital were willing to risk it all on football and also the old owners used to be football men. Today it seems clear due to the great work of the team owners that the NFL is the next thing to a printing press for producing $. Further it seems clear to me that the owners of NFL teams like Mr. Ealph or Jerry Jones do more harm than good and that the Packers represent a successful model both on and off the field of hired management without a central owner.

2. The NFL labor dispute sees them hoist on their own petard as by colluding with the NFLPA to ban even some adults from signing contracts they now face a union with adults in charge and the talented tenth of these juiced athletes are now embracing strategies such as the decert to send the owners run kicking and screaming to turn over partnership authority to their newly asserted partner the players.

We have before us an interesting test of the American courts. Will they rule for the players which flat-out means that football will be restored this season as we know it, or will they rule for the owners which means we continue with no game and the two parties continue to dual with each other in a game of chicken but with the owners having a clear tactical advantage (thus heightening the chances that the players will simply turn over the whole game board by taking any opportunity to declare free agency for all since the owners are locking them out and try to get TV networks to fund an alternative league- but this thought goes way beyond the current reality),

The test of our courts is whether they will stand-up for the traditional American value of the free market and individual rights and find for the players like Brady et al who are pushing for individual personal services contracts. Alternately the courts could find for the NFL, though ideologically this would mean finding for a social compact over a free market approach.

Even more oddly, finding for the owners not only endorses the socialized economic system over the free market but does so in a manner that in essence forces the union to represent the individual players.

A finding for the owners would in fact not only force unionization over the individual market, but it would also force college draftees who are not even members of or represented by the NFLPA to accept assignment to whatever team drafted them and live in an area chosen in that draft. Forcing Americans to live where they are assigned it sounds like Cuba to me. While there is no need to feel sorry for any NFL player as they are being well paid to live where they are assigned to live, it is a bit odd to hear that allegedly conservative judges like the one which reversed the lower court finding for the unions actually by their ruling:

A. In effect short circuited the demand of Brady et al. to force a free market system on the NFL but instead the socialized compact system was allowed to continue over the free market.

B. Forced the NFLPA union to speak for the players rather than decertify themselves.

C. Allowed for the assignment of adults to negotiate with one and only one economic entity in the sport and said this was legit because the union which does not allow them to become members has been ordered to represent them but until they sign a contract with the team they were assigned to they cannot even vote for leaders on that union.

Go figure.

1. Teams win championships rather than money or stars.

Money helps a lot and though being rich is not the key it is better to be rich than poor. This being noted though the ultimate determining factor in this championship was that the Mavs played like a team and that loaded Heat played like a team where Wade was looking to LeBron, LeBron was looking to Wade, Bosh played a pivotal role but was not too pivotal and in the end the alleged team with it all lost on their home floor.

The Bills should learn from this that we need to be about building a team rather than focusing on doing whatever we can to find that one franchise guru.

2. The key to this game in my view was when Dallas's big start Nowitzki simply sucked (I think he was 1 for 11 at one point), the Mavs were up by two. You really need a stud so do not get me wrong, Nowitzki deserved the overall MVP because of his cumulative stats and crunch time during the series when he had a 102 fever he overcame these problems to lead the team in scoring. However, it was the team's acquisition and use of Terry who chucked in 19 while usually stalwart Nowitzki was slumping that made the big difference in this game right now.

3. Owner are best seen and not heard.

Perhaps it is just coincidence that the resurgence of the Mavs coincided with flamboyant owner Mark Cuban shutting up. However Cuban's postgame interview remarks were still right on target when he kept pointing to the players as the true stars on this team.

The Bills and Mr. Ralph should take from this that the more Mr. Ralph hires actual football professionals and shuts up and gets out of the way the better. Players do come and do go, but the players we have right here and right now are the game. If their side prevails in their lawsuit we have a game. If the owners prevail then the off-field game continues to be the focus and that ain't football.

I actually believe that , that is what the Bills are doing but since the inception of free agency & all the money it is 100 times harder for the players to think that way .

It sounds like youare talking about 80's football .

Have an owner who is willing to spend as much money as possible to win, but not interfere with the operation of the franchise. Hire smart people to run the organization and sit on the sidelines and be a cheerleader. And like the original poster said, play as a team.

Have an owner who is willing to spend as much money as possible to win, but not interfere with the operation of the franchise. Hire smart people to run the organization and sit on the sidelines and be a cheerleader. And like the original poster said, play as a team.

+1

The Bills and Mr. Ralph should take from this that the more Mr. Ralph hires actual football professionals and shuts up and gets out of the way the better.

Unfortunately, that is the formula he tried when he hired Donahoe. I think he has been overcompensating ever since.

Good one! Give hem a minute, I'm sure that's coming.

My favorite part is that we should eliminate all the owners and replace them with......new owners.

As long as the new owners aren't allowed to make any money unless they are still wearing shoulder pads or mini skirts depending on gender and/or orientation.

Please advise us on what that means exactly. What is "as much money as possible" and how exactly does that buy championships?

If there is a correlation between big spending and winning in the NFL, I'd like to know what it is specifically. I've seen lots of myths trotted out over the years.

GO BILLS!!!

What other pro teams can learn from Mavs win:

Absolutely nothing they didn't learn from the Packers or the Phillies or who wins game 7 tomorrow night or whoever won the championship in any sport in any year.

Every championship team wins with a slightly a different mix of the same reasons: talent, coaching, execution, luck.

1. Teams win championships rather than money or stars.

Money helps a lot and though being rich is not the key it is better to be rich than poor. This being noted though the ultimate determining factor in this championship was that the Mavs played like a team and that loaded Heat played like a team where Wade was looking to LeBron, LeBron was looking to Wade, Bosh played a pivotal role but was not too pivotal and in the end the alleged team with it all lost on their home floor.

The Bills should learn from this that we need to be about building a team rather than focusing on doing whatever we can to find that one franchise guru.

2. The key to this game in my view was when Dallas's big start Nowitzki simply sucked (I think he was 1 for 11 at one point), the Mavs were up by two. You really need a stud so do not get me wrong, Nowitzki deserved the overall MVP because of his cumulative stats and crunch time during the series when he had a 102 fever he overcame these problems to lead the team in scoring. However, it was the team's acquisition and use of Terry who chucked in 19 while usually stalwart Nowitzki was slumping that made the big difference in this game right now.

3. Owner are best seen and not heard.

Perhaps it is just coincidence that the resurgence of the Mavs coincided with flamboyant owner Mark Cuban shutting up. However Cuban's postgame interview remarks were still right on target when he kept pointing to the players as the true stars on this team.

The Bills and Mr. Ralph should take from this that the more Mr. Ralph hires actual football professionals and shuts up and gets out of the way the better. Players do come and do go, but the players we have right here and right now are the game. If their side prevails in their lawsuit we have a game. If the owners prevail then the off-field game continues to be the focus and that ain't football.

Yes. This is how the Celtics won their championship. They never had superstars. Lakers of the 80s and 90s? No superstars.

The difference between the Heat not winning and the other teams loaded with superstars is COACHING. Eric Spoelstra is not a good coach and I guarantee you if Phil Jackson or Pat Riley was coaching the Heat, they would've won. EASILY. Rick Carlisle was the better coach and had his team prepared. Spoelstra NEVER earned the respect of his team. EVER. And i'll be surprised if he came back next season (whenever that'll be).

Mark Cuban shutting up had nothing to do with his win. He didn't shut up because he felt it would jinx his team. He shut up because he just didnt want to answer any questions.

Every team wins their championships their own way in any sport, so don't think there's some SECRET formula out there for winning a ring. Get real dude. :rolleyes:

Yes. This is how the Celtics won their championship. They never had superstars. Lakers of the 80s and 90s? No superstars.

The difference between the Heat not winning and the other teams loaded with superstars is COACHING. Eric Spoelstra is not a good coach and I guarantee you if Phil Jackson or Pat Riley was coaching the Heat, they would've won. EASILY. Rick Carlisle was the better coach and had his team prepared. Spoelstra NEVER earned the respect of his team. EVER. And i'll be surprised if he came back next season (whenever that'll be).

Mark Cuban shutting up had nothing to do with his win. He didn't shut up because he felt it would jinx his team. He shut up because he just didnt want to answer any questions.

Every team wins their championships their own way in any sport, so don't think there's some SECRET formula out there for winning a ring. Get real dude. :rolleyes:

You make a great point. Carlisle made the better adjustments as the series played on. They forced Lebron the make outside jumpers and took away Wade's drives to the basket.

I don't think enough credit is giving to the Dallas Defense, they really did outplay the Heat in the last 3 games.

Talent got Miami to the finals. Coaching lost it for them. Dallas was the better team overall and I am really happy for guys like Jason Kidd, Jason Terry and Shawn Merrian.

It takes more than an owner who has big bucks. See the Redskins as an example. It takes talent, coaching and a little bit of luck to win it all.

D.Wade was dominating the series before he got hurt. If he doesn't get hurt the Heat my have won. There's your luck right there. For some reason Lebron was not big enough for the moment. He was passing up shots in the last two games. He may have learned something this year that he takes into next year. Dallas was lucky he choked up a bit.