Bills sell naming rights

OK Genius. What stadium was one of the first in the league to be named after a sponsor? Here is a hint-His name isn't Ralph "Rich" Wilson as far as I know.

You are correct. Ralph earned a whopping $40,000 a year for 25 years. Almost every NFL team followed getting 7-figures annually for naming rights. Yet when the Rich Products deal expired he named the stadium after himself, eschewing tens of millions of dollars, and earning the scorn of his fellow owners.

A regular King Midas that Ralph Wilson.

PTR

But to the fans, it will still be the Fieldhouse.

You're not going to say I'll meet you at the Healthy Zone!

You'll still say meet ya at the Fieldhouse, RIGHT?

The stress you are creating by asking this question is unhealthy.

Ah the Bills Fieldhouse Healthy Zone, where you can go before games to get all you can eat Wilson Farms Coffee, Upstate Farms Milk, and various assortments of taquitos, cream puffs, eclairs, and candy for free.

I was given a personal tour of the fieldhouse by fellow TBD member Aussiew last year

at the home opener. I was SHOCKED to see you could buy a lottery ticket. Is purchasing a

lottery ticket healthy too?

You are correct. Ralph earned a whopping $40,000 a year for 25 years. Almost every NFL team followed getting 7-figures annually for naming rights. Yet when the Rich Products deal expired he named the stadium after himself, eschewing tens of millions of dollars, and earning the scorn of his fellow owners.

A regular King Midas that Ralph Wilson.

PTR

Wasn't it Erie County, the owners of the Stadium, that named it after Ralph as a way to honor the only reason why the Bills are still in Buffalo using their stadium?

Wasn't it Erie County, the owners of the Stadium, that named it after Ralph as a way to honor the only reason why the Bills are still in Buffalo using their stadium?

Hmmmm, maybe.

PTR

No. That's incorrect.

The lease (which is online and has been posted here numerous times) clearly states that the team owns the naming rights.

The team, not the county, has chosen not to sell the naming rights.

Ah what the hell. Here it is again.

http://www.erie.gov/...e/stadium.phtml

Article 4:

4.2 Naming of Stadium Complex. (a) The Bills shall have the exclusive right to name, or contract from time to time with any Person or Persons on such terms as the Bills may determine with respect to the naming of the Stadium Complex or any portion thereof; provided that (i) the term during which any such name shall apply shall expire no later than the end of the Term (whether due to the attainment of the Stadium Lease Expiration Date or any earlier termination or cancellation thereof) and (ii) given the substantial interest of the County and the ECSC in the Stadium Complex and the public character thereof, the Bills shall not permit any name to be given to the Stadium Complex or any portion thereof except in accordance with this Section 4.2.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan