How about replacement owners?

I've paid a fair amount of attention to the current NFL labor "negotiation".

The possibility of replacement players has been explored, as has the possibility of no NFL for 2011 until an agreement is reached.

Why has there been no serious discussion about replacment Owners stepping in and utilizing the players that are already in place? I'm sure they'd have trouble finding places to play but I'm interested that there aren't 30+ wealthy individuals salivating at the opportunity to take part in restructuring a 9 billion dollar a year industry.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The possibility of replacement players has been explored, as has the possibility of no NFL for 2011 until an agreement is reached.

Why has there been no serious discussion about replacment Owners stepping in and utilizing the players that are already in place? I'm sure they'd have trouble finding places to play but I'm interested that there aren't 30+ wealthy individuals salivating at the opportunity to take part in restructuring a 9 billion dollar a year industry.

because the players are employees and the owners own their business.

because the players are employees and the owners own their business.

But his idea might have some merit. what if yu put 30 owners together, put another franchise in all the same cities as the NFL, and got a CBA signed with said league that specified all players were under contarct to the Buffalo franchise would still be there...in other words give the players exactly what they want wich is the old CBA.

Onlt problem I see is the TV deal..but sure that could be worked arund...hmmm that would be a prety cool idea

Sure...no problem. Let's just go find the 32 billionaires that are willing to not only shell out the several hundred million in liquid assets to start up professional football franchises, lease stadiums, employ coaches/team doctors/trainers/marketing/etc., but also shoulder the $9 billion-and-growing debt load (as of 2008 anyway) that the NFL is operating under.

Piece of cake...when does the season start?

Sure...no problem. Let's just go find the 32 billionaires that are willing to not only shell out the several hundred million in liquid assets to start up professional football franchises, lease stadiums, employ coaches/team doctors/trainers/marketing/etc., but also shoulder the $9 billion-and-growing debt load (as of 2008 anyway) that the NFL is operating under.

Your points are well taken…but if you think of the NFL and its owners as a coral reef and all the teams are sea anemone…

I'm sorry.

Wrong thread. Never mind.

But his idea might have some merit. what if yu put 30 owners together, put another franchise in all the same cities as the NFL, and got a CBA signed with said league that specified all players were under contarct to the Buffalo franchise would still be there...in other words give the players exactly what they want wich is the old CBA.

Onlt problem I see is the TV deal..but sure that could be worked arund...hmmm that would be a prety cool idea

hahahahaha..........Yeah, other than that, this is a great idea.

The players are free to join the UFL at any time. What's keeping them??

hahahahaha..........Yeah, other than that, this is a great idea.

The players are free to join the UFL at any time. What's keeping them??

Not to mention where are these players going to play? A good number os stadiums are owner by specific owners.

But lets wait. If you want some real good laughs, wait til Hplarrm chimes in with his harebrained ideas on this.

Not to mention where are these players going to play? A good number os stadiums are owner by specific owners.

But lets wait. If you want some real good laughs, wait til Hplarrm chimes in with his harebrained ideas on this.

"NewNFL"!!

Why don't the players start their own league, hire their own coaches, negotiate their own contracts ect... F the owners!

as a big fan of the Replacements, i don't think Paul Westerberg or Tommy Stinson have enough money to purchase a team or try to start one up, never mind establish a league. and while Westerberg's written about baseball and hockey, i'm not sure if he's an NFL fan.

given their fall-down-drunk style of playing, it would be humorous to see them get a chance at this.

jw

as a big fan of the Replacements, i don't think Paul Westerberg or Tommy Stinson have enough money to purchase a team or try to start one up, never mind establish a league. and while Westerberg's written about baseball and hockey, i'm not sure if he's an NFL fan.

given their fall-down-drunk style of playing, it would be humorous to see them get a chance at this.

jw

I partied with those guys on two occasions…once with the band, X involved too. The Stinson's were crazy (RIP Bob). Westerberg was thoughtful and intelligent.

I met him briefly in Ann Arbor once and years later in Buffalo (The Pastime Lounge) he asked me if I had a brother in Ann Arbor. I was a bit blown away by this.

Anyways, yes, it would be fun if they owned a pro football franchise in the NewFL. :)

I partied with those guys on two occasions…once with the band, X involved too. The Stinson's were crazy (RIP Bob). Westerberg was thoughtful and intelligent.

I met him briefly in Ann Arbor once and years later in Buffalo (The Pastime Lounge) he asked me if I had a brother in Ann Arbor. I was a bit blown away by this.

Anyways, yes, it would be fun if they owned a pro football franchise in the NewFL. :)

very cool. i never had the chance to party with them, but saw the 'Mats live twice, and Stinson live the last time he came through town a few years back. i also interviewed Tommy for a piece on the tour. cool guy.

jw

Who said that huffing paint is bad for you?

One reason is because those players are under contract with the NFL.

Nonsense - the players themselves have more than enough money to start their own league, with equity as salary. They would be playing in lousy stadiums, but so what? And a television deal would not be hard - they wouldn't get any money at first, but they would get great national exposure. And if they could keep it together for 5 years, the money would come.

The problem is that they would soon find out just how important they really are to the NFL. It would be them, in new teams and minor league stadiums, against the historical NFL franchises, run by actual businessmen and restocked with the latest shiny new players from the college ranks. I think they would be finished in two years and they know it.

I'll also add in that if someone has the requisite money and "want to" to own a team in the "NewFL", they probably have an interest in potentially owning a current NFL team at some point. And rest assured, there is no way in hell any person facilitating a new league ever gets a chance to own an NFL team in the future. The owners would blackball him and anyone else on the list of people that tried to start a new league and "steal" their players.

Nonsense - the players themselves have more than enough money to start their own league, with equity as salary. They would be playing in lousy stadiums, but so what? And a television deal would not be hard - they wouldn't get any money at first, but they would get great national exposure. And if they could keep it together for 5 years, the money would come.

The problem is that they would soon find out just how important they really are to the NFL. It would be them, in new teams and minor league stadiums, against the historical NFL franchises, run by actual businessmen and restocked with the latest shiny new players from the college ranks. I think they would be finished in two years and they know it.

With all due respect, NFL owners are billionaires, and in spite of that, the league is still over $9 billion in debt now. The players may have enough cash to pay for start-up, but I sincerely doubt that they have enough disposable income to handle 5 years worth of debt load from taking pure league equity as salary, especially when you consider that they have zero experience in running a business, and a football team is--as you well know--a business. Like you said, they'd be finished in two years.

So, without that as an option, I stand by my original comments.