Former Bill Jerry Butler...

I'd be fine with him marrying my sister. Butler is a cool cat and my sister ended up marrying a real ass hat.

Butler was definitely a big fan favorite and we all lament what a great career he would have had if he'd been more durable.

No one who ever saw him play could forget how awesome he was (remember that catch over Mel Blount?)

Butler was another of the many great, underappreciated receivers in Bills history (JD Hill, Haven Moses, Marlin Briscoe).

While Butler ended up putting up good career numbers, they weren't what they could have been had he stayed healthy and played on better teams.

One of the best receivers I have ever watched and is in a dead heat with Bobby Chandler as my favorite Bill ever. He was one of those guys' whose speed was effortless, a long strider like Lofton.

I don't think he had a durability problem, he was fearless over the middle and every where else which opened him up to taking some big hits. He had some bad luck and suffered a nasty knee injury in a time when knee injuries all but ended an athlete's career.

One of the best receivers I have ever watched and is in a dead heat with Bobby Chandler as my favorite Bill ever. He was one of those guys' whose speed was effortless, a long strider like Lofton.

I don't think he had a durability problem, he was fearless over the middle and every where else which opened him up to taking some big hits. He had some bad luck and suffered a nasty knee injury in a time when knee injuries all but ended an athlete's career.

He had a few injuries in his days...the one that effectively, finally knocked him out was a "body sacrifing" touchdown recption against the Dolphins...sanwhiched by two fish...painful to see.

He did rehab, and make a short comeback two seasons later, IIRC, but never really played. I can't even remember if he made the final roster, I don't think he did.

That Jets game was unreal.

At the time I was working at Santora's on Main Street in Williamsville and we listened to the call on the radio… 10 receptions for 255 yards and 4 TDs? Two of them 70+ yard bombs and he also ran a reverse for 12 yards.

Everyone thought Butler was gonna be a Hall of Famer.

I remember watching that game and seeing it on the NFL Game of The Week highlights. Amazing. Jerry had Hall of Fame talent. Too bad he couldn't have played longer.

:thumbsup:

I used to love watching him play, one of my favorite Buffalo Bills players ever.

Class act and a good guy

Agreed. He, Bob Chandler, and J.D. Hill are still my favorite Bills WRs to this day.

I like Lee but I'd never argue on that one.

Butler was quite a bit better of a player than is Evans.

If it weren't for his injuries his name would be on the wall and he'd be pushing Andre for a spot in the Hall. I remember his last TD catch when he broke his leg, a thing of beauty but how tragic. Guy had speed, great hands, great feet, played hard every game. And he didn't have any great QB's throwing him the ball either but he always made plays.

Thanks for the link! It went directly to 'Favorites'!

Brought back fond memories. The begining of the Bermuda Triangle, with the rookie (from Syracuse??) Smerlas, Isaiah Robertson, Tony Greene, Frank Lewis & Chandler#81. Also the developing NY Sack Exchange..

From Buftex: He had a few injuries in his days...the one that effectively, finally knocked him out was a "body sacrifing" touchdown recption against the Dolphins...sanwhiched by two fish...painful to see.

When I saw that play -right before the half, I immediately thought of Duby, who's career ended virtually the same way. Hoped I was wrong. Alas...:(

Yeah, that does bring back the memories...some of them weird. I was 14 when that game took place and the day before my sister brought home a puppy...which peed on our couch right before the game. I can specifically remember watching that game on a couch with no cushions on it. And scaring some more pee out of that dog when I jumped up and down during Butler's TD right before the half.

SanJoseBills fan mentioned the catch Butler made against the Steelers when he reached around Blount's head; I had forgotten that he did the same thing in this game to Johnny Lynn. I think the one against Blount sticks out because of the great still photo that Roush mentioned.

A week or so ago, I was watching a Mets game and announcer Gary Cohen was talking about Giants pitcher Ryan Vogelsong having gone to Kutztown State. Being a Queens boy and longtime Jets fan, he mentioned Bruce Harper as a Kutztown alumni...he appeared in this video getting smashed first on a kick return and later by Smerlas. I sat there thinking, "Bruce Harper? ANDRE REED, you dummy!"

Lastly, TE Joe Shipp, who caught the last TD, is the father of 3 sons who were very good basketball players. All of them went to different Pac10 schools; Joe Sr:USC...Joe Jr:Cal....Josh:UCLA, and Jerren:ASU. I saw the kids play dozens of basketball games and didn't know their dad played for the Bills. I did know that former Sun Devil (current Clipper) power forward Ike Diogu was born in Buffalo and grew up a Bills fan in Texas. He could have been an awesome TE.

Yeah, that does bring back the memories...some of them weird. I was 14 when that game took place and the day before my sister brought home a puppy...which peed on our couch right before the game. I can specifically remember watching that game on a couch with no cushions on it. And scaring some more pee out of that dog when I jumped up and down during Butler's TD right before the half.

SanJoseBills fan mentioned the catch Butler made against the Steelers when he reached around Blount's head; I had forgotten that he did the same thing in this game to Johnny Lynn. I think the one against Blount sticks out because of the great still photo that Roush mentioned.

A week or so ago, I was watching a Mets game and announcer Gary Cohen was talking about Giants pitcher Ryan Vogelsong having gone to Kutztown State. Being a Queens boy and longtime Jets fan, he mentioned Bruce Harper as a Kutztown alumni...he appeared in this video getting smashed first on a kick return and later by Smerlas. I sat there thinking, "Bruce Harper? ANDRE REED, you dummy!"

Lastly, TE Joe Shipp, who caught the last TD, is the father of 3 sons who were very good basketball players. All of them went to different Pac10 schools; Joe Sr:USC...Joe Jr:Cal....Josh:UCLA, and Jerren:ASU. I saw the kids play dozens of basketball games and didn't know their dad played for the Bills. I did know that former Sun Devil (current Clipper) power forward Ike Diogu was born in Buffalo and grew up a Bills fan in Texas. He could have been an awesome TE.

Crazy stuff, RS!

Ike Diogu was drafted in the first round by the Golden State Warriors who are now my NBA team since the Braves were sold and I moved to the Bay Area.

He's just 6'9" so not tall for a power forward but he's pretty big and has a 7'4" wingspan. He has an excellent career FG percentage and good pts:minutes ratio.

I guess he's with the Clippers now (ironically) and I hope he gets a real chance to show his talents. But yes, at 250 pounds he'd be an awesome tight end.